Why Dak deserves to be one of the NFL's highest paid QBs

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If it’s only about where things stand today then why are you talking about a window in the future? And why would the team not use up every penny of cap space every year?

But the reality is the future is always a consideration, and why contract negations are often so tough and protracted. If the salary cap we’re going to stay exactly where it is today, and Dak were going to get a guarantee to always be paid in the top 5, the negotiation would be very different, and the team would be much more reluctant to lock into a long term deal with considerable guaranteed money.
I’m saying the window to the future will be more closely shut if we over pay Dakster according to his talent level.

We don’t consider him a Top 5 or even Top 10 QB. Why would we pay him as such?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
What climate are you referring to?
You are aware that position is one of the most volatile in terms of pay, right?

There are plenty of players who have no business getting paid what they are, but they made some measure of success in the first contract to get there.

The trend is set.

Under the current climate, it is best for a team to load up with a young QB as quickly as they can and get the most out of that first four years.

With Dallas, we missed it because we spent the last two years digging out of the cap hole we already dug for ourselves.

Even a decent to good QB is going to be paid at near top of the market rate because of the lack of options overall.

dreameaglegreen

Reaction score

you loss that bet
It takes 2 years to comeback fully healthy from a torn ACL. It's a miracle he did what he did last year. @1:35 just amazing @2:50 I think thats michael irving commenting...ouch

No. I didn't lose that bet. I actually won.

You didn't show me Wentz's ability to scramble or run the way he used to prior to his injuries. Plus, your video showed Wentz constantly having perfect pocket protection with his receivers being wide open. Too easy.

I wish Dak had consistent perfect pocket protection the past 2 years instead of leading the league in getting sacked and pressured. Why don't Dak's critics mention this? :huh:[/QUOTE]

Please explain
You didn't show me Wentz's ability to scramble or run the way he used to prior to his injuries. You asked for "Show me any video of Wentz being able to escape after his knee and back injuries. I bet you can't."

@ 1:35 the announcer talks about escapability (i think he is scrambling and running the way he used to) your thoughts?

Plus, your video showed Wentz constantly having perfect pocket protection with his receivers being wide open. Too easy.

It's a highlight video, usually contains highlights

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
Imagine our offense without Elliott , Cooper and any part of our Pro Bowl OL. That’s what we’ll be left with eventually if we pay Dakster Top 5 money.

This is why we need a Team Friendly contract for Dakster. It will allow us to continue providing as much of the supporting cast he needs.
understood.. but you can sub out Daks name with any other starting QB in the league and you will have the same problem.. the market value is what it is.. I don't agree with it either..we have the money to sign these players for the next few years and keep the band together, I would love to see Dak say hey man I will take a team friendly deal and take 25 mil a year with a nice signing bonus so we can keep going for years to come but he isn't brady and or married to a super model that has more money than him.. nor does Dak have the best HC in the league either..

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Details details. All I can go by is what’s typed .

“ You mean how Dak has a winning record without Zeke playing due to suspension?”
You're sounding just as bad as the other critics. Everyone knows full well we are talking about when Dak has played without Zeke.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m saying the window to the future will be more closely shut if we over pay Dakster according to his talent level.

We don’t consider him a Top 5 or even Top 10 QB. Why would we pay him as such?

Every team will have the same situation - you can’t treat it as if things will be frozen in time when Dak gets his deal, and every other team will continue to pay less and therefore have an advantage. It’s not just Dallas that will have to pay big for that talent level, and the teams fortunate to have even greater talent at QB will pay even more. When it’s Mahomes’ turn in a year or 2 he may get $40-45 million/year.

As for your last comment, again, pay is not a QB ranking system. People have to quit thinking of it that way, and realize it’s a matter of supply and demand. Obviously talent is a factor, but the reality is a major part of it is only a reflection of market conditions. If Dak ends up making more than Drew Brees, for example, that won’t be a declaration that Dak is a better QB than Brees, it will just be that market conditions are different today than when Brees signed his contract.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
No. I didn't lose that bet. I actually won.

You didn't show me Wentz's ability to scramble or run the way he used to prior to his injuries. Plus, your video showed Wentz constantly having perfect pocket protection with his receivers being wide open. Too easy.

I wish Dak had consistent perfect pocket protection the past 2 years instead of leading the league in getting sacked and pressured. Why don't Dak's critics mention this? :huh:

Please explain
You didn't show me Wentz's ability to scramble or run the way he used to prior to his injuries. You asked for "Show me any video of Wentz being able to escape after his knee and back injuries. I bet you can't."

@ 1:35 the announcer talks about escapability (i think he is scrambling and running the way he used to) your thoughts?

Plus, your video showed Wentz constantly having perfect pocket protection with his receivers being wide open. Too easy.

It's a highlight video, usually contains highlights[/QUOTE]
Uhhh, Wentz looks slower than he used to prior to knee surgery. He barely scrambled out of the pocket and was about to get caught and hammered by a big fat Dlineman. Not a good scenario to boast about Wentz's ability to scramble/run just as good as he used to.

By the way, that's not Michael Irvin commentating. That's Troy Aikman.

Alexander

Reaction score
Amazing how Wentz's contract has changed the narrative.

Too bad Dallas waited too long to have the guts to get the contract done. So now, we will pay the price.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m hoping this is what the delay is. Possibly we are actually attempting to stay with a Team Friendly deal and not over pay him.
Every team will have the same situation - you can’t treat it as if things will be frozen in time when Dak gets his deal, and every other team will continue to pay less and therefore have an advantage. It’s not just Dallas that will have to pay big for that talent level, and the teams fortunate to have even greater talent at QB will pay even more. When it’s Mahomes’ turn in a year or 2 he may get $40-45 million/year.

As for your last comment, again, pay is not a QB ranking system. People have to quit thinking of it that way, and realize it’s a matter of supply and demand. Obviously talent is a factor, but the reality is a major part of it is only a reflection of market conditions. If Dak ends up making more than Drew Brees, for example, that won’t be a declaration that Dak is a better QB than Brees, it will just be that market conditions are different today than when Brees signed his contract.
Its ridiculous it’s not talent related. It appears it is. There’s QB’s who didn’t receive Top 5 contracts . Why would Dakster? I’m not sure why we’d place him on same level as a Wilson or Wentz?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I really don’t care about your questions. They had nothing to do with my post. It’s a lame attempt to deter my narrative.

I guess you forgot that Smith and Martin were still Pro Bowlers last year. And we saw how ineffective Dakster is without WR1.

That’s my point. We’ve already seen what he is without this Pro Bowl talent around him.
It’s impossible to deter ones narrative when it’s just hate. One post after the other from you.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You're sounding just as bad as the other critics. Everyone knows full well we are talking about when Dak has played without Zeke.
Yea, and it isn’t pretty. But the only reason I responded to your post was of that sentence .
“You mean how Dak has a winning record without Zeke playing due to suspension?”

If you have no worries without Elliott, Cooper and our OL then fine. You might get to see it again if we over pay Dakster. Lol

Alexander

Reaction score
I’m hoping this is what the delay is. Possibly we are actually attempting to stay with a Team Friendly deal and not over pay him.
If you have paid attention to how the negotiations have supposedly gone, I don't think there is a chance this is the case.

Supposedly, Dallas offered him something below value at first pass. Now they counter with the $36 million thing.

Yeah, "Team Friendly" is not happening.

And regardless what I think about the player, I am not dumb enough to think that is the sticking point. The Joneses thought buttering up the player was a way to make him take something below value and since the Eagles set the market, they are scrambling.

dreameaglegreen

Reaction score
Please explain

It's a highlight video, usually contains highlights
Uhhh, Wentz looks slower than he used to prior to knee surgery. He barely scrambled out of the pocket and was about to get caught and hammered by a big fat Dlineman. Not a good scenario to boast about Wentz's ability to scramble/run just as good as he used to.

By the way, that's not Michael Irvin commentating. That's Troy Aikman.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate all the lay-ups you give me but damn. Did u watch the video. The co-host at 3:22 says "IRV", do u not know your team. Straight embarrassing

Diehardblues

Reaction score
understood.. but you can sub out Daks name with any other starting QB in the league and you will have the same problem.. the market value is what it is.. I don't agree with it either..we have the money to sign these players for the next few years and keep the band together, I would love to see Dak say hey man I will take a team friendly deal and take 25 mil a year with a nice signing bonus so we can keep going for years to come but he isn't brady and or married to a super model that has more money than him.. nor does Dak have the best HC in the league either..
I agree but the difference is what they do with that talent when they have it. So far all we have is a couple division titles and 1 playoff win.

How are we going to do with less talent around him? And why the window will be closing soon if we over pay based on his talent level.

Aikman struggled without all the supporting cast . But look what we accomplished when he had it. That’s the difference.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If you have paid attention to how the negotiations have supposedly gone, I don't think there is a chance this is the case.

Supposedly, Dallas offered him something below value at first pass. Now they counter with the $36 million thing.

Yeah, "Team Friendly" is not happening.

And regardless what I think about the player, I am not dumb enough to think that is the sticking point. The Joneses thought buttering up the player was a way to make him take something below value and since the Eagles set the market, they are scrambling.
I haven’t seen any official offers yet. If you have please provide the link.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s impossible to deter ones narrative when it’s just hate. One post after the other from you.
I would hate paying a 15th ranked QB Top 5 money.

I hate not winning championships and I hate how Jerry runs football operations.

Slobber all you want..I’ll critic instead until we reach our ultimate goal.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I'm not saying that Dak doesn't have good games. Just commenting that beating a cellar dweller isn't a convincing sell on his talent.
Your absolutely right, I just thought that it said a lot for him to want to play that game when he didn't have to, I have heard that Moore got some experience working with Dak during that game because it apparently didn't count..

I look back to 2017 and the beating he took during the falcons game and the following week against the egirls, JG gave him no help.. Dak took a beating that IMO a second year QB should not have taken.. He had to try to carry a team without Elliot and his LT missing or hampered.. Made me sick that they didn't really help him, like they wanted to get that experience.. We missed the playoffs that year by 1 game.. I have seen our HC and staff cost us games..

Not making excuses for Dak. He has plenty of room to improve and if he wants to be elite he has work to do for sure... But we have a team around him that we can win with, I hope our new OC sees it and can do something with it.. Its gonna take a team effort.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Its ridiculous it’s not talent related. It appears it is. There’s QB’s who didn’t receive Top 5 contracts . Why would Dakster? I’m not sure why we’d place him on same level as a Wilson or Wentz?

When did these QBs get contracts and who were they, and who else was negotiating a contract at the time?

Cousins got a top 5 contract a year ago. Garappollo got top 5-10 a couple of years ago and he had only been a backup that started a mere 2 games. That’s the kind of world we are living with today. If the Cowboys want to pay $20 million some other team will be happy to pay Dak as a free agent and the Cowboys will be stuck with a bottom of the NFL starter.