Why Dak deserves to be one of the NFL's highest paid QBs

csirl

Reaction score
I don't know if the raw talent is better or not, but he has certainly accomplished more than Wentz to this point, so I would imagine he will get the bigger contract.

I know we're all so traumatised that we've mentally blocked out the 2017 NFL season....

I hate to say it, but look at the stats - Wentz played 13 games with a 11-2 record on a Superbowl winning team. He was a major factor in the SB season, even if he missed the playoffs. He's had a QBR in excess of 100 last two seasons

You simply cant say he hasnt accomplished a lot at a very early stage in his career.

:thumbdown:

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
How much do you think Case Keenum or Tyrod Taylor or Ryan Tannehill can accomplish? That's the kind of QB the team will be left with if they don't extend Dak. That's really the problem - you can't look at cost alone without also looking at alternatives. It's not as easy to just go out and replace a quality QB - about 1/3 of the NFL doesn't even have one. That's why the price is so high. There simply are more teams than there are NFL starter quality QBs.

There's not an easy answer, that's for certain. But there is a point where Dak would price himself out of what's in the team's interest to pay. If it comes to that, the team's better off taking its chances drafting a QB. That's no guarantee, but nothing in the NFL ever is.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know we're all so traumatised that we've mentally blocked out the 2017 NFL season....

I hate to say it, but look at the stats - Wentz played 13 games with a 11-2 record on a Superbowl winning team. He was a major factor in the SB season, even if he missed the playoffs. He's had a QBR in excess of 100 last two seasons

You simply cant say he hasnt accomplished a lot at a very early stage in his career.

:thumbdown:

I didn't say Wentz was a bad QB or hasn't played well or even that he hasn't accomplished much, I just said Goff has accomplished more.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's not an easy answer, that's for certain. But there is a point where Dak would price himself out of what's in the team's interest to pay. If it comes to that, the team's better off taking its chances drafting a QB. That's no guarantee, but nothing in the NFL ever is.

Absolutely there is a point, but I see that point as being reached if he insists on more than market value. If he is negotiating in the realm of what the going rate is the Cowboys have to either negotiate within what the going rate is (which I believe is appropriate), or accept that they will almost certainly take a hard downward turn for at least a year, if not several years.

Aside from the things I mentioned in my previous post, we also have to keep in mind that the salary cap isn't stagnant. There will be more space available each year.

As for the draft, keep in mind even when drafting a QB in the first round the odds of getting a Jake Locker or Blaine Gabbert or E.J. Manuel or Ryan Tannehill or RG III are higher than getting a Mahomes or Goff, plus the Cowboys are unlikely to have a high first rounder to help improve the odds in the 2020 draft (2019 should be a good season for Dallas)

Hadenough

Reaction score
What teams are willing to pay is what sets market value, accordingly his market value is based on a dollar amount, not a QB ranking.

I think this is what so many have difficulty understanding. Obviously talent level factors in, but ultimately it's supply and demand economics. There aren't enough quality NFL QBs to go around, so teams are willing to pay high prices for them, and that's what sets the market. Low supply = high demand = high prices.

If Dak ends up being paid as a top 5 QB, that is only a temporary distinction based on the time period in which he negotiated his contract and the market conditions at that time. It is not a statement that he is a top 5 QB.

I understand the supply and demand and it makes sense but at some point over paying avg is a bad idea.

Hadenough

Reaction score
This is exactly it. Dak has a great attitude and work ethic, but he will never be a player who can get it done without very good quality help around him. He must have a quality O-line, a running game, and good receivers. Pay Dak too much and you can't afford to keep the help that he needs.
He needs a defense too and that makes it tough to pay an elite offense and defense.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand the supply and demand and it makes sense but at some point over paying avg is a bad idea.

Bad idea good one......well let me tell you what is a BAD IDEA...paying Millions to a bus driving QB who has the best HB in the NFL and 4 no 1 picks on his offline including a TOP WR in Coop and ranks 18th in passing and runs the 29th Red-Zone offense in the NFL ....now that's a BAD IDEA!!!!!.....If Dak gets a TOP Paycheck then all logic has gone out the window in the BIG D FO and our doom and gloom continues for years to come.....not to mention one of the most boring passing attacks in the NFL......zzzz.....zzzz...oh wow Dak threw a 2 yard pass that Coop ran for 88 yard TD ...and that/s a best case scenario....or a 3rd and 9 check down that goes for 3 yards then we punt or kick a FG....you guys know exactly what you've been seeing the last 3 years......zzzzz

That Coop TD came against the Giants who are once again home for the playoffs....lol.....

StarOfGlory

Reaction score

Like Nate Burleson said, "Show respect for Dak Prescott."

And like Michael Irvin said, "When you have the heart and soul and leader of your team at the quarterback position, I don't know why we're talking about his money," Irvin said. "That's worth $15-20 million, by itself, a year. Now you got to pay him to play football also. I mean, let's be real here. It shouldn't even be a discussion when we talk about it, and the amount of wins this man has had, and the way he's won football games. It shouldn't even be a discussion. It really shouldn't."

PS: Someone show me Wentz making such plays and pulling rabbits out of some magic hats like Dak is shown have done. Yet, Wentz got paid...

:popcorn:

PS: Someone show me Wentz making such plays and pulling rabbits out of some magic hats like Dak is shown have done. Yet, Wentz got paid...
[/QUOTE]
Why can't people just show highlights without horrid music and special effects? Isn't Wentz's talent enough, or does he need the hype help to make him look better?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I agree Dak isn't elite, but I don't necessarily agree that he is average, and I certainly wouldn't say he has reached his peak and can't grow and learn and improve. He's at least demonstrated the team can win a lot of games with him at QB, and the problem is that while you would like to get a truly elite QB, finding those is almost like finding a needle in a haystack, and giving up on a winning QB to with the hope of finding something better probably carries greater chance of coming out notably worse than it does of improving. There is a reason there are only 3-5 truly elite QBs at any given time, and that's because they are so hard to find.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I agree Dak isn't elite, but I don't necessarily agree that he is average, and I certainly wouldn't say he has reached his peak and can't grow and learn and improve. He's at least demonstrated the team can win a lot of games with him at QB, and the problem is that while you would like to get a truly elite QB, finding those is almost like finding a needle in a haystack, and giving up on a winning QB to with the hope of finding something better probably carries greater chance of coming out notably worse than it does of improving. There is a reason there are only 3-5 truly elite QBs at any given time, and that's because they are so hard to find.
And those elite QB are locked down. And they didn’t start as elite. It took a few years.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dak deserves NOTHING but what Dallas and he agree on. Contracts are performance based ...while he has been a winner...he still has to go out and earn it. In the NFL nothing is truly guaranteed money-wise. I see about 30-31 mil per year for Dak.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dak will never be elite. Doesn't need to be. He is somewhere between good and above average. I will take him any day over many QB's. Dak is a great fit for the team, leader and the sparkplug.

Brax

Reaction score
But Bortles didn’t get extended by the Jags. He is with the Rams now as Goff’s backup.

As for major accomplishments, what are the major accomplishments of Goroppolo or Cousins or Wentz? Clearly guys are getting paid without what you would deem to be “major accomplishments”. It can easily be argued these guys are all less accomplished than Dak. That’s just the market for QBs, and if a team isn't willing to compete in the marketplace as it exists they will have to settle for a bottom of the barrel starter and their QB will get his money with another team.
Bortles actually was extended 2017 and then released after the Jags signed Foles this year. I don't disagree with your point of guys getting paid just do not think it smart when the team is in the drivers seat. unless it's a real team friendly incentive loaded deal that pays Dak for performance. We will have to see how Dak is after the $$$$ are paid and how much buyers remorse there will be if he doesn't make a major leap in effectiveness. thanks for your input, good talking to you.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You are insinuating that the lack of bombing is because of Dak and not the scheme or play calling.

I don't recall either Garrett or Lenihan not going deep in the past, in their Offensive schemes. I have to believe that it's a developmental thing with Dak. Now, having said this, it's not necessarily a bad thing. I mean, all QBs develop and its a case of becoming better right? Some do, some don't. I think with Dak, it has to be more of a development thing and not the Offense but that's just my opinion.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I don't recall either Garrett or Lenihan not going deep in the past, in their Offensive schemes. I have to believe that it's a developmental thing with Dak. Now, having said this, it's not necessarily a bad thing. I mean, all QBs develop and its a case of becoming better right? Some do, some don't. I think with Dak, it has to be more of a development thing and not the Offense but that's just my opinion.
If Dak and Gallup can connect on a few more of those deep passes it will be big. With Cooper being able to take the top off and Cobb working the slot we should have a pretty effective pass game. Throw in some screens and designed dump offs to Elliot and we are good.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If Dak and Gallup can connect on a few more of those deep passes it will be big. With Cooper being able to take the top off and Cobb working the slot we should have a pretty effective pass game. Throw in some screens and designed dump offs to Elliot and we are good.

I think it will certainly help out a lot! If Witt can come back in any kind of shape, that's even more help in the Redzone. We just need to get Zeke right.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think will certainly help out a lot! If Witt can come back in any kind of shape, that's even more help in the Redzone. We just need to get Zeke right.
Lol. Yeah. Elliot needs to get his act together. This team depends on him as much as Dak.