Why Dak deserves to be one of the NFL's highest paid QBs

Brax

Reaction score
This is a nonsensical argument. Obviously you pay him within his market value, and the point that it won't be top 5 in a few years is simply to show that the only reason it might be now is because of timing and market conditions and not because that is where he would be ranked among all QB's. It's really a very simple concept that some oddly cannot or refuse to grasp.

As for never having done anything, are you under the impression that only Super Bowl winning players get to negotiate new contracts? That a team has to win it all before its players get a chance to get a payday commensurate with the market for their services?

Tell me, what did Jimmy Goroppollo do to get his big contract? Was it the first game he started for NE, or the last one that was the great accomplishment that merited a big contract? Don't bother looking at all the games he started in between the first one and the last one - there weren't any.
This was sarcasm to a point, as for negotiate a new contract, he is under one now, and can be franchised for 2 more years at its end, why pay for a unproven player to this point in his career. As for he's a bargain in a few years if you sign him now is nothing more than a load of crap because he will hold out if he feels he is underpaid in a few years. I have no problem with paying a player his worth, as for JG and KC why make the same stupid mistake other teams make not sure why some can't grasp a simple concept like this.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No doubt he deserves to get paid but what exactly is his market value? Is it top 5 or 10 where does Dak fall?

What teams are willing to pay is what sets market value, accordingly his market value is based on a dollar amount, not a QB ranking.

I think this is what so many have difficulty understanding. Obviously talent level factors in, but ultimately it's supply and demand economics. There aren't enough quality NFL QBs to go around, so teams are willing to pay high prices for them, and that's what sets the market. Low supply = high demand = high prices.

If Dak ends up being paid as a top 5 QB, that is only a temporary distinction based on the time period in which he negotiated his contract and the market conditions at that time. It is not a statement that he is a top 5 QB.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This was sarcasm to a point, as for negotiate a new contract, he is under one now, and can be franchised for 2 more years at its end, why pay for a unproven player to this point in his career. As for he's a bargain in a few years if you sign him now is nothing more than a load of crap because he will hold out if he feels he is underpaid in a few years. I have no problem with paying a player his worth, as for JG and KC why make the same stupid mistake other teams make not sure why some can't grasp a simple concept like this.

I know it was sarcasm, but sarcasm is often used to make a point. I thought your point was off base.

As for him holding out in a few years if we pay him now, that's pure speculation, and goes against the truth that far and away most players do not hold out. I can only assume fans get fooled into thinking it's more common because there are high profile cases of holdouts that make a lot of headlines, but the reality is those situations are far from the norm. I think it's much more likely that once he becomes a rich man he will be willing to redo his contract and defer money to help the team the way Romo did and other QBs have done with other teams.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Division games are always competitive. Maybe you’re too young to remember that the only game the Cowboys won in Aikmans rookie year was against the at the time undefeated Commanders. And Aikman didn’t even play.
Wish others could see that. Someone not to long ago said that Dak isn’t any good without our O-Line and Elliot.

I mentioned the giants game at the end of last season. JG sat most of our starting O-Line and sat Elliot for the game. Dak insisted on playing the game, he ran around and threw 3 TDs to TE Jarwin and threw a great game winning pass to Beez who made a great catch to win the game. If he didn’t play that well we would have lost that game. Division foes play there hardest against us and the records don’t mean much.

glimmerman

Reaction score
What teams are willing to pay is what sets market value, accordingly his market value is based on a dollar amount, not a QB ranking.

I think this is what so many have difficulty understanding. Obviously talent level factors in, but ultimately it's supply and demand economics. There aren't enough quality NFL QBs to go around, so teams are willing to pay high prices for them, and that's what sets the market. Low supply = high demand = high prices.

If Dak ends up being paid as a top 5 QB, that is only a temporary distinction based on the time period in which he negotiated his contract and the market conditions at that time. It is not a statement that he is a top 5 QB.
Yep and the QBs coming out of college this year won’t effect the market until after there 3rd year when teams usually try to sign them ahead of the rookie contract ending (Dak and wentz etc.). So I don’t know who is up next year other than mahomes and he will set the market even higher. The browns QB is only going into his 2nd year. So there isn’t very many starting caliber QBs out there right now. And a lot of them are still under contract and wrapped up and teams aren’t willing to trade them. Not sure what year goff is in but his contract is liable to raise the market value also. If Daks agent comes down a little I think that SJ gets this done before the season starts. If we even wait till bye week during this year then the price will likely go up. With the talent around him the team should be better than last year.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep and the QBs coming out of college this year won’t effect the market until after there 3rd year when teams usually try to sign them ahead of the rookie contract ending (Dak and wentz etc.). So I don’t know who is up next year other than mahomes and he will set the market even higher. The browns QB is only going into his 2nd year. So there isn’t very many starting caliber QBs out there right now. And a lot of them are still under contract and wrapped up and teams aren’t willing to trade them. Not sure what year goff is in but his contract is liable to raise the market value also. If Daks agent comes down a little I think that SJ gets this done before the season starts. If we even wait till bye week during this year then the price will likely go up. With the talent around him the team should be better than last year.

Goff was drafted same year as Dak and Wentz. I imagine we will see a contract negotiation with him soon.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
May drive the values up. Do you see him better than wentz.

I don't know if the raw talent is better or not, but he has certainly accomplished more than Wentz to this point, so I would imagine he will get the bigger contract.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Goff definitely has a better case for a big payday than Wentz. Over the last 2 seasons he has put up similar efficiency stats to Wentz, while starting way more games, and there is a huge difference between "took team to Super Bowl" and "watched team go to Super Bowl."

Brax

Reaction score
I know it was sarcasm, but sarcasm is often used to make a point. I thought your point was off base.

As for him holding out in a few years if we pay him now, that's pure speculation, and goes against the truth that far and away most players do not hold out. I can only assume fans get fooled into thinking it's more common because there are high profile cases of holdouts that make a lot of headlines, but the reality is those situations are far from the norm. I think it's much more likely that once he becomes a rich man he will be willing to redo his contract and defer money to help the team the way Romo did and other QBs have done with other teams.
Just like Russel Wilson??? I have no problem with paying Dak in a Bortles type team friendly deal the team can get out of in 2 or 3 years or a heavily incentive laced deal, but that will not happen, the only question is how long will Jerry lock the Cowboys up with a unproven QB who relies so heavily on his supporting cast. At the least they should wait until Mid year before any extension is even considered. Probably not how it will work out. As for deferring that's speculation of a higher degree.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I don't know if the raw talent is better or not, but he has certainly accomplished more than Wentz to this point, so I would imagine he will get the bigger contract.
When I first saw the numbers I didn’t realize it was 32 a year. Heck Wilson got a huge contract and is only 34 a year.

I am not sure if the seahags got a good deal or if the egirls grossly over paid. 2 million a year isn’t a big swing. I do however think that 2 million will help sign others. Every penny counts.

If Dak gets more than wentz then it puts him getting SB winning caliber money. I don’t like that. Of course what I like or my opinion don’t mean anything to the FO.

Looking back I realize i asked you if goff was better than wentz. Lol. I hope we sign Dak before goff gets a contract and then the rams over pay. Lol.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just like Russel Wilson??? I have no problem with paying Dak in a Bortles type team friendly deal the team can get out of in 2 or 3 years or a heavily incentive laced deal, but that will not happen, the only question is how long will Jerry lock the Cowboys up with a unproven QB who relies so heavily on his supporting cast. At the least they should wait until Mid year before any extension is even considered. Probably not how it will work out. As for deferring that's speculation of a higher degree.

Wilson didn't actually hold out, did he? And even if he had, one player would not change the fact that far and away the majority don't hold out.

Blake Bortles is the Rams backup QB on a 1 year contract, so I don't know what you are talking about with him.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I first saw the numbers I didn’t realize it was 32 a year. Heck Wilson got a huge contract and is only 34 a year.

I am not sure if the seahags got a good deal or if the egirls grossly over paid. 2 million a year isn’t a big swing. I do however think that 2 million will help sign others. Every penny counts.

If Dak gets more than wentz then it puts him getting SB winning caliber money. I don’t like that. Of course what I like or my opinion don’t mean anything to the FO.

Looking back I realize i asked you if goff was better than wentz. Lol. I hope we sign Dak before goff gets a contract and then the rams over pay. Lol.

I understand, but the problem is the longer the team waits the more the price is likely to go up. I imagine $30MM was about the price before Wentz signed, but after the Wentz signing the price went up. Teams are so desperate for QBs (either to get free agents or keep their own) they are willing to pay big dollars, and that drives up the price for everyone.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
What pants said. It's one thing to say "Dak deserves to be paid such and such." It's another thing to actually pay him that much and therefore have less talent elsewhere. Dak is but one player on the roster; we can't have one individual's selfishness deprive the team of what it needs.
Not really selfishness. He is good enough to bring what the market pays. If it were you, you would be doing the same thing. Get paid in the nfl because your future is undetermined. One injury and the owners will toss you away like a piece of trash. Aunt Bee, Pay the man, just pay the man.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I understand, but the problem is the longer the team waits the more the price is likely to go up. I imagine $30MM was about the price before Wentz signed, but after the Wentz signing the price went up. Teams are so desperate for QBs (either to get free agents or keep their own) they are willing to pay big dollars, and that drives up the price for everyone.
I see some wanting to wait till after the season starts but if we even wait till the bye week then I still see the price going up.. And a few million a year is money they can throw towards Cooper..

Brax

Reaction score
Wilson didn't actually hold out, did he? And even if he had, one player would not change the fact that far and away the majority don't hold out.

Blake Bortles is the Rams backup QB on a 1 year contract, so I don't know what you are talking about with him.
Bortles was the Jag extension I was referring to. No Wilson didn't but he wanted more $ and threatened to hold out. Other players have held out , I do agree not the norm but paying someone with no major accomplishments in the NFL isn't the smart thing to do. People act like Dak is some team savior, with out super star in all parts of the offense Dak is still average, pay him like a average QB well and fine pay him like a elite QB shame on any team that will do it. Dallas is in the drivers seat with Dak, why they would let that change, doesn't make any sense.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bortles was the Jag extension I was referring to. No Wilson didn't but he wanted more $ and threatened to hold out. Other players have held out , I do agree not the norm but paying someone with no major accomplishments in the NFL isn't the smart thing to do. People act like Dak is some team savior, with out super star in all parts of the offense Dak is still average, pay him like a average QB well and fine pay him like a elite QB shame on any team that will do it. Dallas is in the drivers seat with Dak, why they would let that change, doesn't make any sense.
But Bortles didn’t get extended by the Jags. He is with the Rams now as Goff’s backup.

As for major accomplishments, what are the major accomplishments of Goroppolo or Cousins or Wentz? Clearly guys are getting paid without what you would deem to be “major accomplishments”. It can easily be argued these guys are all less accomplished than Dak. That’s just the market for QBs, and if a team isn't willing to compete in the marketplace as it exists they will have to settle for a bottom of the barrel starter and their QB will get his money with another team.

Last edited:

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nate Burleson makes the case why Dak Prescott deserves to be one of the NFL's highest paid QBs...

Like Nate Burleson said, "Show respect for Dak Prescott."

And like Michael Irvin said, "When you have the heart and soul and leader of your team at the quarterback position, I don't know why we're talking about his money," Irvin said. "That's worth $15-20 million, by itself, a year. Now you got to pay him to play football also. I mean, let's be real here. It shouldn't even be a discussion when we talk about it, and the amount of wins this man has had, and the way he's won football games. It shouldn't even be a discussion. It really shouldn't."

PS: Someone show me Wentz making such plays and pulling rabbits out of some magic hats like Dak is shown have done. Yet, Wentz got paid...

:popcorn:

Nate's been hit in the head one to many times.....how Groovy another Dak is great thread!!!!:espn::banghead:

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I love Dak, I just don't want him getting so much that it prohibits the team from fielding a winning outfit...

This is exactly it. Dak has a great attitude and work ethic, but he will never be a player who can get it done without very good quality help around him. He must have a quality O-line, a running game, and good receivers. Pay Dak too much and you can't afford to keep the help that he needs.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is exactly it. Dak has a great attitude and work ethic, but he will never be a player who can get it done without very good quality help around him. He must have a quality O-line, a running game, and good receivers. Pay Dak too much and you can't afford to keep the help that he needs.

How much do you think Case Keenum or Tyrod Taylor or Ryan Tannehill can accomplish? That's the kind of QB the team will be left with if they don't extend Dak. That's really the problem - you can't look at cost alone without also looking at alternatives. It's not as easy to just go out and replace a quality QB - about 1/3 of the NFL doesn't even have one. That's why the price is so high. There simply are more teams than there are NFL starter quality QBs.

Something else fans don't consider is it isn't just the Cowboys that are stuck with these prices. As every quality QB comes up for a new contract they will end up paying more than the Cowboys, and have QBs that cut deeper into the salary cap than the Cowboys. Everyone has to deal with the same situation - it doesn't just begin and end with the Cowboys.