Video: Why Dak is the most accurate. NFL Network

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
You obviously either didn't hear all of the video or conveniently forgot to mention that it said Prescott lead the league at throwing into a tight window AND also had the highest completion average and passer rating throwing into tight windows. Now we all know why you omitted those is because it dispels the idea that Prescott is not accurate. Yes in 2017 Prescott has some bad throws but not to the level that debunks this video. Aikman who for much of his career was considered one of the most accurate passers of his time had 36 picks his 1st 2 seasons compared to 17 for Prescott's 1st 2 seasons. Aikman with 18 each season had more in 1 season than Prescott had in 2. Now I'm not saying that Prescott is better than Aikman, but what I am saying is Aikman didn't start out very accurate and became very accurate. Right now Prescott is much further along than Aikman was accuracy wise and win totals for the 1st 2 years of their careers.
Apparently you are confused. This video is NOT proving how Dak is accurate. What this stat suggests is really that Dak forces balls to covered receivers. Now either it makes his receivers look good or him. Which one? If the receiver makes a great catch while covered, this stat should be more praise worthy to the receiver rather than to the QB who threw the ball to a bad spot where the receiver had to adjust last second to make the play.

How do one handed catches favor QB's? Yet this stat makes it seem that the QB put it right on him in the perfect location and the receiver just had to make a routine catch.

The better test would be if all of the throws were analyzed by QB's who know where the throw should be and rate the throw by how far off or close it was to where it should be placed for each pass. Kinda like how the Olympics rate gymnastics. Start with a perfect 10 and deduct from there. That way errant throws behind receivers that force the receiver to make a circus catch will be graded accordingly.

Beyond that, this Next Gen stat is pretty useless data IMHO.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Actually dez scored on the play. Was still a bad throw. If not for dez's ability to go back and get the ball that was thrown not just behind him but behind the defender. Just an example of how our wr's must bail out dak. The dude is average...like bortles dak is helped out with some talented guys on offense but he isnt a guy who can make the offense go.

That's pretty funny since one of the QB's you mentioned WAS the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year and the other wasn't. So Bryant made a good play, that's what he's paid to do except he's not done that very often the past couple of years. I know you don't want anyone to bring up ALL OF Bryant's drops the past couple of seasons because that won't fit your Prescott is no good BS. If Bryant was still so good why is just about EVERY national sportswriter, analyst and commentator suggesting Bryant has to take a significant pay cut or get released? Why do they all say he's not played up to the 16.5 mil cap hit for 2018 if he was still so good?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Dak wasnt that good in 2016. He was more efficient but he had a ton of help. How are wr's supposed to be goog when he over throws them? The most important aspect of a qb is daks biggest weakness. I'd be happy if he proves me wrong but i wouldnt bet on it. He will always be average at best and that is only because of all the talent he has lifting him up. Dak doesnt make the OLine better, or the WR's, or the RB. The guy lucked into the starting job, not because he was more talented, not because he beat out a career backup but simply cause 2 guys got hurt and 1 of those guys is a class act. Defenses will continue to focus on the run untill dak proves his arm can beat them. I hope hes out there learning how to throw.

For most of Aikamn's career he was considered one of the most accurate passers of his time but his 1st 2 seasons he had 36 picks compared to Prescott's 17. Now I'm not saying Prescott is a better QB but what I am saying is Aikman had to work to become accurate and wasn't when he 1st came to the Cowboys and Prescott right now is further along than Aikman for the same 2 seasons to start their careers.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Apparently you are confused. This video is NOT proving how Dak is accurate. What this stat suggests is really that Dak forces balls to covered receivers. Now either it makes his receivers look good or him. Which one? If the receiver makes a great catch while covered, this stat should be more praise worthy to the receiver rather than to the QB who threw the ball to a bad spot where the receiver had to adjust last second to make the play.

How do one handed catches favor QB's? Yet this stat makes it seem that the QB put it right on him in the perfect location and the receiver just had to make a routine catch.

The better test would be if all of the throws were analyzed by QB's who know where the throw should be and rate the throw by how far off or close it was to where it should be placed for each pass. Kinda like how the Olympics rate gymnastics. Start with a perfect 10 and deduct from there. That way errant throws behind receivers that force the receiver to make a circus catch will be graded accordingly.

Beyond that, this Next Gen stat is pretty useless data IMHO.

Actually you're the one that is confused because the video CLEARLY states that these a passes that are thrown into tight windows that require accuracy to do. It's funny that Aikman did that all the time during the Super Bowl years and EVERYONE just talked about his accuracy. Now Prescott is doing it and people want to say it's the receivers, who happen to just don't get any separation, or Prescott has accuracy problems because like all QB's he's missed some receivers. No this video shows that Prescott CAN put the ball into tight windows.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
A quarterback doesn't have to "make others better" if those players are some of the highest performing players in the league. Nice if you can do it, and it's needed by every quarterback at some point. And no quarterback can make a bunch of mediocre players into a SB champion, like Romo and Robinson in 2011, Robinson had a career year, lasted only one more mediocre year and hasn't played since.

But you don't know if a quarterback is one of those rare guys who can "make everyone better", when you draft him, you have to give him at least several years to learn the pro game and develop into that guy. If after 3-5 years he doesn't, now it's "let's find another one".

I just think it's poor planning to pin your hope for a SB title or three on finding that once-in-a-lifetime quarterback, much better to try to build a team with several players that are able to help out your quarterback, rather than the other way around. LIke Witten, who is very good at getting open, just imagine if Dez and Williams could learn that!
So good QB's make below average receivers look good. Sort of like how Romo made Myles Austin, Patrick Crayton and Laurant Robinson look real good. None of them did anything anywhere else. I wonder who Dak is going to make look good? He is a good QB right? Will be interesting to see who Dak turns into a rich man elsewhere.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Actually you're the one that is confused because the video CLEARLY states that these a passes that are thrown into tight windows that require accuracy to do. It's funny that Aikman did that all the time during the Super Bowl years and EVERYONE just talked about his accuracy. Now Prescott is doing it and people want to say it's the receivers, who happen to just don't get any separation, or Prescott has accuracy problems because like all QB's he's missed some receivers. No this video shows that Prescott CAN put the ball into tight windows.
Amazing how in your mind Aikman was less accurate than Dak. I think I am done with you since you CLEARLY have an agenda were sound reason will not penetrate.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Still better than paying over 20 million a year for a qb to sit on the bench injured.

So? I'm not calling for Romo to come back and I wasn't particularly high on Romo anyway. He had blind spots that cost us time and again. Specifically with LB that got deep in their drops.

Big D

Reaction score
So then Dak is average. Hard to get excited about that or not want to upgrade it no?
There was nothing average about Daks rookie season. You can't seriously look at what happened last season and determine that Dak alone is the source of the teams underachieving.
Oline. , Dline ,LB , RB depth upgrades are a higher priority than upgrading qb. In fact, upgrading the Oline actually upgrades the qb.

I get it though, you don't care for Dak. All good.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Have any of you guys watched the video? I mean, they're showing him throw against single coverage and calling that a, "tight window," because the one defender is close to the receiver.

I've always defined tight window throws as hitting a guy between two defenders in a tight zone. This stat has redefined tight window as just having a guy within a yard. One of the plays I recall was Dez coming back to a ball after getting behind the defender. The underthrown pass caused the, "tight window." I'm not knocking Dak, just saying this stat means very little as far as accuracy because a poorly thrown ball can cause an otherwise open guy to be forced into a tight window by adjusting his route. This is true for every QB being rated by this stat, not just Dak. That's why I believe this stat is useless.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Have any of you guys watched the video? I mean, they're showing him throw against single coverage and calling that a, "tight window," because the one defender is close to the receiver.

I've always defined tight window throws as hitting a guy between two defenders in a tight zone. This stat has redefined tight window as just having a guy within a yard. One of the plays I recall was Dez coming back to a ball after getting behind the defender. The underthrown pass caused the, "tight window." I'm not knocking Dak, just saying this stat means very little as far as accuracy because a poorly thrown ball can cause an otherwise open guy to be forced into a tight window by adjusting his route. This is true for every QB being rated by this stat, not just Dak. That's why I believe this stat is useless.
Do you watch any other games other than Dallas games? I get sick to my stomach seeing how open other teams' receivers get. I mean every single team has a receiver or 2 that get very open often. Having a DB stuck to the receivers hip is not being open. At that point only a very good throw will complete the pass.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Do you watch any other games other than Dallas games?

Irrelevant to my point, but yes.

I get sick to my stomach seeing how open other teams' receivers get. I mean every single team has a receiver or 2 that get very open often. Having a DB stuck to the receivers hip is not being open. At that point only a very good throw will complete the pass.

If you're not seeing DAL receivers get open, then you might rewatch some games. It happens. You're acting like DAL has the only receiving corps in the league who can't get separation.

But again- my point was about them redefining tight window to make it meaningless and especially irrelevant to whether or not a throw is accurate.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Irrelevant to my point, but yes.

If you're not seeing DAL receivers get open, then you might rewatch some games. It happens. You're acting like DAL has the only receiving corps in the league who can't get separation.

But again- my point was about them redefining tight window to make it meaningless and especially irrelevant to whether or not a throw is accurate.
We actually had the 8th worst graded wr corps last year.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
If he is average and pay him $25m AAV or more we are in trouble.

I really like Dak, but this is very accurate. I can deal with Dak at his salary and try to get a team around him that we can compete with, but when his salary goes up and a weak link surfaces as a result, he needs to step up his game to help overcome that weakness. I don't think he can do that at the moment and we'll need to be looking at another QB.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I really like Dak, but this is very accurate. I can deal with Dak at his salary and try to get a team around him that we can compete with, but when his salary goes up and a weak link surfaces as a result, he needs to step up his game to help overcome that weakness. I don't think he can do that at the moment and we'll need to be looking at another QB.

I get the concern. But people bringing up the whole 25 mil a year thing are putting the cart before the horse.

Dak is under contract for 2 more years. The team will have at least one season, if not two seasons more worth of data and seeing Dak play. Before he will be making more money.

If Dak plays like his rookie year again, yeah he will make more money and people will feel better. If he plays like the last 8 games of this past season. Then he isn’t gonna get 25 mil.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Yes, i totally agree, we need to avoid overpaying an above average QB AGAIN.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Amazing how in your mind Aikman was less accurate than Dak. I think I am done with you since you CLEARLY have an agenda were sound reason will not penetrate.

Actually it shows that you have a comprehension problem since I've CLEARLY stated that I DON'T THINK Prescott is better than Aikman. All I've done is compare both QB's first 2 seasons and the numbers for Prescott's are much much much better than Aikman's. Aikman went on to become one of the league's most accurate passers for his time but he wasn't his fist 2 seasons. Since Prescott as a rookie was NFL rookie of the year, had a 104.9 passer rating, a 13-3 record and comparatively bad numbers his second season, it's way way way way to early to proclaim Prescott as a bad QB or suggest that he needs to be replaced. Where would the Cowboys 90's teams have been if the Cowboys did what some here want to do after Prescott's 2nd season and just moved on from Aikman after 2 less than stellar seasons? That's why fans aren't GM's.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
So good QB's make below average receivers look good. Sort of like how Romo made Myles Austin, Patrick Crayton and Laurant Robinson look real good. None of them did anything anywhere else. I wonder who Dak is going to make look good? He is a good QB right? Will be interesting to see who Dak turns into a rich man elsewhere.

Lets see Beasley had his best season ever Prescott's rookie season. It was so good that defenses started to game plan to take Beasley away in the 2017 season. Beasley, a slot receiver, was getting double coverage just like Welker when he was with the patriots. Prescott must have completed a high percentage of passes to him in 2016 if defenses game planned to take him away in 2017.