Video: Why Dak is the most accurate. NFL Network

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
That play Witten was pretty open. I wouldn't use that play to make an argument. Yes the RB was more open but a throw to Witten there is OK. Dak however is not an accurate passer. This stat is showing who throws more to tight windows and Dak apparently leads in that category. He didn't look good throwing at targets against David Carr after the SB. Carr on the other hand easily hit his targets.

You obviously either didn't hear all of the video or conveniently forgot to mention that it said Prescott lead the league at throwing into a tight window AND also had the highest completion average and passer rating throwing into tight windows. Now we all know why you omitted those is because it dispels the idea that Prescott is not accurate. Yes in 2017 Prescott has some bad throws but not to the level that debunks this video. Aikman who for much of his career was considered one of the most accurate passers of his time had 36 picks his 1st 2 seasons compared to 17 for Prescott's 1st 2 seasons. Aikman with 18 each season had more in 1 season than Prescott had in 2. Now I'm not saying that Prescott is better than Aikman, but what I am saying is Aikman didn't start out very accurate and became very accurate. Right now Prescott is much further along than Aikman was accuracy wise and win totals for the 1st 2 years of their careers.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys targets/rec for last year. I will do the WR/TE only. I guess targets is passes in their general direction.

Witten 87 tgts/63 catches
Bryant 133 tgts/69 catches
Beasley 62 tgts/36 catches
Williams 78 tgts/53 catches
Switzer 7 tgts/6 catches
Butler 24 tgts/15 catches

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Or how about we compare him to other first or second year players?

Or compare him to other starting QB's making 400,000 a year.

Or compare him to Cousins who is making 24 mill a year.

Or other previously anointed guys like Carr and Newton.

Or even a guy like Goff, who was a first round pick.

The worst thing to happen to Dak is that he played at a pro bowl level as a rookie and helped lead the team to the playoffs.
Obviously you missed my point, all i was saying is he should be ranked against all the starting QB's in the league not the backups, there are only 32 starting QB's in the NFL the rest are their backups

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
There are some pretty good QB’s on that list who are either right near, or below Dak.

QB’s who have been to Super Bowls or who have had MVP caliber seasons.

So maybe, just maybe, football is a team sport and a players success can fluctuate based on the play around them. Which I believe is the point Hennessy was making.

I mean look at some of the names within a few points of Dak or below him.

Jared Goff- #1 overall pick
James is Winston- 1 pick.
Matt stafford and Marcus mariota.

Cam newton- former league MVP.
Derek care- former mvp candidate

Etc etc.

Even nick Foles who won a Super Bowl MVP. (You don’t think coaching or supporting cast had anything to do with helping that?)
Yes there are, i just didn't think Dak needed to be or should be rated along side any backups who got a little bit of playing time because the starter was hurt

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Obviously you missed my point, all i was saying is he should be ranked against all the starting QB's in the league not the backups, there are only 32 starting QB's in the NFL the rest are their backups

No, I know exactly what point you are trying to make.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yes there are, i just didn't think Dak needed to be or should be rated along side any backups who got a little bit of playing time because the starter was hurt

That’s fair enough.

I think at the end of the day. It’s a difference of people
Who believe Dak’s accuracy issues are correctable and those who believe they aren’t.

I tend to be in the group that things Dak’s issues that cause him to misfire at times, are correctable. Namely his footwork.

Big D

Reaction score
Because the QB is incapable of getting it done without a dominant running game. We saw how he did without his elite RB.
The thing is, this can be said for most qbs. It's no accident that Romo's best season came when DeMarco lead the league in rushing. They've been trying to change the rules for more excitement but the run game still runs $#!t. We've got one. Let's act like it. It's the reason we look at Troy Aikman with such admiration.

I think the way to a championship is a decent running game to keep your offense moving and a good defense to get a stop when you need it. We only have one of the two currently. If we go out and draft a wr then we'll know Jerry is the idiot everyone says he is.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So because he didn't score the TD like you like , we need to draft another qb? :huh:

Actually dez scored on the play. Was still a bad throw. If not for dez's ability to go back and get the ball that was thrown not just behind him but behind the defender. Just an example of how our wr's must bail out dak. The dude is average...like bortles dak is helped out with some talented guys on offense but he isnt a guy who can make the offense go.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Actually dez scored on the play. Was still a bad throw. If not for dez's ability to go back and get the ball that was thrown not just behind him but behind the defender. Just an example of how our wr's must bail out dak. The dude is average...like bortles dak is helped out with some talented guys on offense but he isnt a guy who can make the offense go.

BS.

That’s the same type of throw that many posters ok this board criticize Dak for not making more often.

Remember Romo and posters saying “he needs to
Throw the ball where Dez can go up and get it”. Now he’s getting criticized for throwing that exact type of pass.

That was a purposefully thrown fade pattern, put in a spot where Dez could go get it. It wasn’t a “bad pass” and Dez didn’t “bail him out”. That play was by design all the way.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
BS.

That’s the same type of throw that many posters ok this board criticize Dak for not making more often.

Remember Romo and posters saying “he needs to
Throw the ball where Dez can go up and get it”. Now he’s getting criticized for throwing that exact type of pass.

That was a purposefully thrown fade pattern, put in a spot where Dez could go get it. It wasn’t a “bad pass” and Dez didn’t “bail him out”. That play was by design all the way.

Throwing to a defender is never good. Go watch the play. The defender was between dak and dez, luckily he never turned around. It was bad ball placement but a good catch by dez. The problem is dak relies on dez or whomever have to make really hard catches alot and they are easily defenced by the better players. If dak had gotten the ball out in front of dez it would be easier. Dak still cant throw a back shoulder fade. His accuracy isdues are well documented, in college and certainly at the nfl level. you can like him all you want, some do. All i see is a guy who needs sn all pro rb, an all pro wr, and atleast 4 all pro OL just to be slightly above average.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
All i see is a guy who needs sn all pro rb, an all pro wr, and atleast 4 all pro OL just to be slightly above average.

How about just average rb, wr, and o-line? Of course we wouldn't know because all the times he's been really bad so has his line and WRs. Our O-line was absolutely pitiful a large portion of last year and please show me ANY 2nd year QB whose going to thrive when they have 1 second to get rid of the ball before they're eating dirt.

I love how all of you act like he's a 10 year veteran who should be carrying this team on his back. Even if he COULD do that you don't win championships that way. I am willing to bet though as he gains more experience and becomes a more polished QB he'll be able to do those things but why force him into a bad situation? We should be doing everything we can to surround him with talent.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Way to bring facts to the conversation like usual. So glad you didn't bring a subjective opinion backed by nothing but your username.
Whoopee I stated pure fact nothing more nothing less just fact. Have a nice day

School

Reaction score
I like accuracy percentage better than completion percentage because completion percentage depends more on things outside the quarterback's control.

Dak's accuracy percentage in the 11-20 yard range was 57.7%, 19th in the league.

To break it down further, he was 60% in the 11-15 yard range, 19th in the league, and was 54.3% in the 16-20 yard range, 15th in the league.

His depth-adjusted accuracy overall was the 4th highest in the league. Rodgers and Brees were #1 and #2 by a significant margin.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
How about just average rb, wr, and o-line? Of course we wouldn't know because all the times he's been really bad so has his line and WRs. Our O-line was absolutely pitiful a large portion of last year and please show me ANY 2nd year QB whose going to thrive when they have 1 second to get rid of the ball before they're eating dirt.

I love how all of you act like he's a 10 year veteran who should be carrying this team on his back. Even if he COULD do that you don't win championships that way. I am willing to bet though as he gains more experience and becomes a more polished QB he'll be able to do those things but why force him into a bad situation? We should be doing everything we can to surround him with talent.

Dak wasnt that good in 2016. He was more efficient but he had a ton of help. How are wr's supposed to be goog when he over throws them? The most important aspect of a qb is daks biggest weakness. I'd be happy if he proves me wrong but i wouldnt bet on it. He will always be average at best and that is only because of all the talent he has lifting him up. Dak doesnt make the OLine better, or the WR's, or the RB. The guy lucked into the starting job, not because he was more talented, not because he beat out a career backup but simply cause 2 guys got hurt and 1 of those guys is a class act. Defenses will continue to focus on the run untill dak proves his arm can beat them. I hope hes out there learning how to throw.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Throwing to a defender is never good. Go watch the play. The defender was between dak and dez, luckily he never turned around. It was bad ball placement but a good catch by dez. The problem is dak relies on dez or whomever have to make really hard catches alot and they are easily defenced by the better players. If dak had gotten the ball out in front of dez it would be easier. Dak still cant throw a back shoulder fade. His accuracy isdues are well documented, in college and certainly at the nfl level. you can like him all you want, some do. All i see is a guy who needs sn all pro rb, an all pro wr, and atleast 4 all pro OL just to be slightly above average.

Go watch the play. Dez wasn’t open, no big surprise there, and the jump ball was the only option Dak had.
Which happened a lot last season.

I agree Dak has to be better but placing all
The “blame” for that play isn’t right either. The receivers need to give him a better window if they don’t want to be forced to make a tough catch.