CFZ Why did this FO let the Eagles get Hargrave, Joseph, and Suh?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I just don't understand this FO and their approach to the DT position. They have allowed their chief rival to lap them over and over again at this key position going back to the 2012 draft (picking Claiborne over Cox).

More recently, Eagles got Javon Hargrave as a FA prior to the 2020 season for a reasonable three-years $39 million. I remember at the time wondering why we weren't showing any interest in him when our DTs at the time were Tyrone Crawford, Antwaun Woods, Christian Covington, and Trystena Hill? Hargrave has 10 sacks this season. 23 sacks for the Eagles in three seasons.

Then, this year the Eagles aggressively addressed their poor run defense by adding Suh and Joseph to their already talented dline. They have been rewarded for their aggressive approach. The Eagles have the 4th best run defense in the NFL since the addition of those two players.

This is very frustrating.

Money. Stupidity. JONES BOYS.

Trendnet

Reaction score
I just don't understand this FO and their approach to the DT position. They have allowed their chief rival to lap them over and over again at this key position going back to the 2012 draft (picking Claiborne over Cox).

More recently, Eagles got Javon Hargrave as a FA prior to the 2020 season for a reasonable three-years $39 million. I remember at the time wondering why we weren't showing any interest in him when our DTs at the time were Tyrone Crawford, Antwaun Woods, Christian Covington, and Trystena Hill? Hargrave has 10 sacks this season. 23 sacks for the Eagles in three seasons.

Then, this year the Eagles aggressively addressed their poor run defense by adding Suh and Joseph to their already talented dline. They have been rewarded for their aggressive approach. The Eagles have the 4th best run defense in the NFL since the addition of those two players.

I want to make sure I understand

This hand wringing and rue age is over

1 point differential
12 yards rushing per game differential
and roughly 36 yards per game differential

Am I getting that right?

Sydla

Reaction score
Because it's been clear for years that they don't think they need to invest in the DT position. Yeah, they threw a 2nd rounder at Hill because Marinelli was in love with him. But other than that? Mid to late round picks, fringe bottom of the barrel DTs in free agency. They signed two guys (Poe, etc) last year that many thought would help but they were clearly on the downside of their careers and didnt work out.

Philly is the exact opposite. They think DT is one of the most important positions on the field and they put a lot of assets into that position. Cox was a first rounder. Davis was a first rounder last year. Hargrave was a prime FA signing in his prime. So when they were struggling to stop the run and Davis got hurt, they went out and grabbed not one, but two, guys they thought might have a little left in the tank.

And guess what? They have two first round picks next year. Don't be stunned if they use one of those picks, or even their 2nd rounder, on a DT again. They think the value and way to build a winner is through the trenches, especially at DT.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

The FO is obviously smarter than our FO.

Sydla

Reaction score

1 point differential

Am I getting that right?

Surely you aren't trying to suggest that our approach to the DT position and overall DT play isn't that far off from Philly, are you?

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I think if we had had a monster DT who was great Jerry would feel differently then he does. Since we never had a great one Jerry has no desire to get one. It's not a D coordinator issue, it's a GM issue.
Agreed, but I’m sick of the old man taking forever to learn these lessons.

He tried to do the same crap with OL until that humiliating loss on opening night at WSH in 2010.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yet Bears still had a good rushing day vs Philly and Eagles still ranked 19th vs run.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
At the bare minimum, you would think they would try to get quality free agents at positions they know they don’t draft well (DT, S)

Cowboys1966

Reaction score

Cowboys seem to value RB more than DT.

Creeper

Reaction score
The rams playoff loss where they ran for 273 yards on us was 4 years ago. They did nothing to fix it.

This is a great point. You would have thought they would make DT a priority after that loss, or at least beefing up the OL. But they have not drafted a DT in the first round since 1991 so clearly they do not value DT. I was shocked when they traded for Hankins. It was so unlike them. But they should have signed Suh or Joseph as well. The Cowboys DTs are Jags.

But let's not fool ourselves. That's not the only problem with the run game. The Jags ran at the perimeter and made our defense look silly. That's the result of DEs and OLBs who are not setting the edge and LBs and safeties that are not getting to the outside fast enough. They need to get Barr off the field. He is nowhere near the player he was a few years ago. That's why the Vikings did not sign him themselves. I still want to see if Cox gets some sanps, if he does a better job cutting off that outside stuff. I think he will be at least let's find out.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great post, OP. Clearly, stopping the run doesn't seem as important to this FO as a new WR. They could have gone after DJ Reader harder in 2020 (I think), and certainly harder after Wagner, Suh or Joseph this FA or before the trade deadline. The poor run D has been this way for several years

Captain43Crash

Reaction score

It is super frustrating and superb stupid we did not go after Suh or Joseph. Our run D was worse then Philly’s, but they pulled the trigger on both of them, and we sat on our hands.

Situations like this are why I laugh at fans that say, the coaches know more than we do! Of course they do, but they still make tremendously stupid mistakes! This was one of them!!!!!

CCBoy

Reaction score
There are a lot of injuries on defense...I think 6 starters are currently out, that's an issue. Offense wise were scoring 28 points a game which is near the top of the league.

The team needs a lot of younger 2nd string types to step up down the stretch and prevent any more major injuries.

To win it all you have to be good and lucky...Eagles have been both, we had been both until about 2 weeks ago when the injuries started catching up.

With 3 weeks to go, this team could still be perfect for a playoff run or they could fizzle...only time will tell.

True, also...

FVSTONE

Reaction score

Once again this is a severely flawed organization that can't get out of it's own way. FO hasn't signed a game changing FA since the early 90's.

Blackrain

Reaction score

Don't forget the fact they also drafted Jordan Davis.
This is an organization that has done everything in its power to address the defensive tackle position and keep us from getting any quality free agents

kskboys

Reaction score

1 point differential

Am I getting that right?
Eagles have had a myriad of injuries on the DLine. Last year when healthy, they were 9th.

vlad

Reaction score

These guys don’t sell jerseys -

LysleE

Reaction score
I think the FO is more about keeping the Cowboys relevant than improving the team. The weaknesses of this team are evident year-after-year, yet the FO has not taken any steps to strengthen position(s) of weakness. Their penny-pinching strategies to find lower-tier free agents in conjunction with their mantra of “we like our guys” serve only to ensure Dallas maintains status quo while our rivals make the requisite moves to improve the competitiveness of their teams. And to add insult to injury they attempt to appease the fan base with their nonsensical rhetoric…a pair of more narcissistic, buffoons I cannot imagine! But when you are beholden to none what can one expect.