Why did we take Bohanna over Tonga?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I really don't get it. We took Bo at 192, Tonga went at 250. How is Bo a better prospect?
Leverage in the trenches seemed to be a priority. They kept passing on short armed Togiai, a guy they have been linked too.

cowboyec

Reaction score
im just glad we got 1 finally.
with Osa...love the new additions to the DT group.
my guess on why Bohanna over Tonga...length.
and tho i like Tonga...i thought Bohanna got better pressure on the QB.

my take away from this class is how we ALL missed on marvin wilson.
we...as die hard fans and draftniks LOVED the guy....and all 32 teams passed on him...IN EVERY SINGLE ROUND.
boy was i wrong.
but i still like the guy and would have taken him.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
im just glad we got 1 finally.
with Osa...love the new additions to the DT group.
my guess on why Bohanna over Tonga...length.
and tho i like Tonga...i thought Bohanna got better pressure on the QB.

my take away from this class is how we ALL missed on marvin wilson.
we...as die hard fans and draftniks LOVED the guy....and all 32 teams passed on him...IN EVERY SINGLE ROUND.
boy was i wrong.
but i still like the guy and would have taken him.
I think he might still be injured and teams are cautious. Really wish Dallas would have got him as undrafted guy but will wish him well in Cleveland

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
He has size/length on Tonga but this kid has bottom of the league athleticism and movement skills. And I mean amongst fellow 1Tech's.

kskboys

Reaction score
How is he not? He played against much better competition and is a rock. Enthrall me with your genius. He was taken in the 7th round so all 32 teams were not very impressed. But you apparently are smarter than all of them.
I am glad you acknowledge my superior intelligence.

kskboys

Reaction score
Glad to make you feel good. Now, are you going to actually answer the question?
No, I don't engage in conversations w/ those who aren't capable of adult convo. If you'd like to try again, I'd be more than happy to explain.

kskboys

Reaction score
Apparently Quinn and McClay want longer arms on our DL...Bohanna 34"...Tonga 31"
Osa and Gholston also had 34"

latest
Arm length
3 years younger
Bohanna had the 4th highest run grade on PFF last year for DT’s. I believe Broaddus had mentioned there was interest so they didn’t just draft a body. Outside of McNeil, not much separation between these big guys. They liked him best. Simple as that.
Makes sense.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
No, I don't engage in conversations w/ those who aren't capable of adult convo. If you'd like to try again, I'd be more than happy to explain.
Frankly I couldn’t care less. You’re the one that claimed Tonga was superior and that he should’ve been the pick. The ones actually making the picks disagree. We all can have our opinions on players, but if you’re going to make a statement like you did, at least state why. But again, I don’t really care.

DanA

Reaction score
Togiai: 296lbs and has 31.75" arms
Bohanna: 330lbs and 34" arms

Togiai might be stronger (don't know) but does not have the same weight to anchor, nor the length to hand fight in two gap role. I think Bohanna has a very specific role which is to line up right over the center, eat up double teams and fight in his role as a two gap nose tackle. Togiai might be a better player overall, but in this specific role, Bohanna is a better fit.

Carter

Reaction score
I was curious why we took Ball ahead of D'Ante Smith too....except that maybe he is more of a pure OT.

Because Ball has starting LT Potential: Atleast to the Draft Day Analyst guys.

Given the state of Tyron Smith and the terrible play of Steele i think it was more useful to get a true LT.

John813

Reaction score
I was curious why we took Ball ahead of D'Ante Smith too....except that maybe he is more of a pure OT.

From what I've read on Ball is that he is a good football prospect with potential to be a LT in the NFL but was/is a POS as a human.The only reason he was available in day 3 was that FSU/GF incidents.

I guess Jerry is transitioning from rehabing injured prospects with upside to prospects with off the field issues again.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
If he can jump at 350+ lbs lol

Don't need to jump. How many passes have been tipped by a DE or DT getting his hands up?
If a quarterback is in the pocket, a lineman can tip the ball before the quarterback reaches the pinnacle of his throw.
Throws don't go straight up to the Jumbotron. LOL! They leave the quarterback's hand and arch upward. Plenty of opportunity for a lineman to tip a ball without jumping.