Why did Zeke's abilities nose dive?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In Zeke's first two seasons, he was one of the best, or maybe the best, running back in the league. It was all downhill after that. In his last season, he was just a basic running back who could block pretty well and get you some short yardage when you need it. Other Cowboys running backs were productive way longer than Zeke. Calvin Hill, Tony Dorsett, and Emmitt Smith helped their teams way, way longer than Zeke did. Zeke was productive probably about as long as DeMarco Murray was.

What happened? I know some fans say that he got paid a bunch of money and then just got lazy. However, his play last season didn't look lazy to me. It looked like he was working really hard, but he just wasn't anywhere near as good as he used to be. Did his body just wear out? Or did he do a poor job training? Did the pandemic slow him down? What happened?
Calvin Hill was not much of a runner after age 27 (still a good receiver). Emmitt had incredible durability, but other than that he wasn't really special after he turned 27. Dorsett wasn't worked nearly as hard when he was young. Murray had one bounce-back year at 28 but was otherwise done.

The majority of RBs are shells of themselves by their late 20s. It's just how it works.

Havic

Reaction score
Punishing runner who we ran into the ground. Zeke knew early his body was starting to the downside and held out early for that 2nd contract.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I assume your body can only take so much damage as it happens to most running backs who are as physical as he is.

People say he took the money and stopped caring, but I always see clips of him online working his butt off in the offseason so I don't buy that theory.
Look at Aaron Jones. He was used very little his first few years. So he's just now hitting his prime, Zeke, who was used heavily early on, is on the decline physically.
|
IT's why I think it's a tough call to use a 1st Rd on a RB. THe guy has to be a massive immediately impact player. I'd rather have a RB by committee and spend money on OL

HungryLion

Reaction score
Getting old sucks. Zeke is old for an NFL RB.

That’s just how the world and human body work.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke didn't nose dive, his yards gradually went down every year........He had borderline speed to start with...
That could be a big part of it. Speed guys tend to age better than others: they can lose a step or two and still have NFL-adequate speed. whereas other guys just drop below that threshold.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
What you said isn’t accurate, because I never said he didn’t break off any long runs his rookie year. I said he didn’t break off “a lot” of long runs. You might want to go back and read my post again.
What aren’t you computing?

He broke off 14 runs of 20+ yards and 3 runs of 40+ yards his rookie season.

He never came close to those numbers again.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What aren’t you computing?

He broke off 14 runs of 20+ yards and 3 runs of 40+ yards his rookie season.

He never came close to those numbers again.
You’re the one who isn’t computing, I never said he didn’t break some long runs his rookie year.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
In Zeke's first two seasons, he was one of the best, or maybe the best, running back in the league. It was all downhill after that. In his last season, he was just a basic running back who could block pretty well and get you some short yardage when you need it. Other Cowboys running backs were productive way longer than Zeke. Calvin Hill, Tony Dorsett, and Emmitt Smith helped their teams way, way longer than Zeke did. Zeke was productive probably about as long as DeMarco Murray was.

What happened? I know some fans say that he got paid a bunch of money and then just got lazy. However, his play last season didn't look lazy to me. It looked like he was working really hard, but he just wasn't anywhere near as good as he used to be. Did his body just wear out? Or did he do a poor job training? Did the pandemic slow him down? What happened?
What happens to most players when they hit the wall ... injuries. He got himself in great shape before the 2021 season, but then he suffered a partially torn PCL that he played through but severely limited his effectiveness. Last year, he suffered an MCL sprain. These injuries take not only an immediate toll, but a long-term goal of reducing flexibility, strength, speed, etc. And usually when they start cropping up like they have the past couple of years, it's a sign that the body has worn down to the point where a player is always going to be fighting injuries.

quickccc

Reaction score
- Zeke started declining in 2018.

- Garrett regime bulked him up, so they could beat him up.

- Only had one lone run, over 40 yards. (vs Seattle, which he fumbled)

- Garrett likely envision ZKE as a 90's version of Emmitt Smith like pound 'em to the ground bell cow.
To make even matters worse, Elliott had such a sorry, useless backup RB in Rod Smith, that the club could
not afford to take Zeke out of the game.

Some don't realize that even blitz blocking takes a toll on your body.

To make matters even worse than that. when they finally did get a very capable backup RB in Pollard, Garrett/Kellen seem reluctant to play Pollard,
because maybe they did not trust his blocking., and they were too persistent in ground ' pound Zeke only.

- Garrett did DeMarco Murray in the same ground and pound sense in his final year in Dallas.
The 90's style offense and RB method is all Garrett knows, and it really cost Zeke even at only age 27.

Last edited:

Twin928

Reaction score

What happened? I know some fans say that he got paid a bunch of money and then just got lazy. However, his play last season didn't look lazy to me. It looked like he was working really hard, but he just wasn't anywhere near as good as he used to be. Did his body just wear out? Or did he do a poor job training? Did the pandemic slow him down? What happened? I’ll say it and say it again covid happened but most importantly travis Frederick retiring and missing and entire year happened we ain’t been right in the middle since just sayin

75boyz

Reaction score
A statistical study from a few years back showed all the prominent running back names and their decline once exceeding 1,500 carries/touches I believe it was.

It showed a very telling correlation to declined performance after surpassing this milestone in carries.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You’re the one who isn’t computing, I never said he didn’t break some long runs his rookie year.
“Even when he first arrived he wasn’t breaking off a lot of long runs.”

Are those your words or not? Yes or no?

The numbers I provided show that he was breaking off A LOT OF LONG RUNS by any standard his rookie year.

This ain’t about your attempt at a red herring (“I never said he didn’t have any long runs”). You’re claiming he didn’t have a lot of long runs.

Again, what aren’t you computing?

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
Being 2 satisfied kills many careers. Did he luv the game or did he luv what the game did for him on and off the field? I do wonder what may have happened if Romo was here like another year and started with Zeke. Maybe it would have been better or even worse. Zeke just got fat and happy and really lost all his chippyness that he had as a rookie. Thats the downside to being a Dallas Cowboy, the star, the glitz and glamor, JERRY and that shiet show, the way he tells the guys how great they are daily. I mean, where the hell is the motivation? I think things ARE changing though. I think the Joneses are realizing things MUST change. Hey, it just took 27 years. lmao

Rayman70

Reaction score
rubbish, the plandemic didnt cause Zeke anything. All the players had 2 deal with it. He is a rb and they have a short shelf life. That and the tread was used up quickly. I think he needs 2 retire actually. His legs are just dead. His burst is bye bye. Call it a career Zeke. It was a nice one. Nuthin to be ashamed of at all.

mcmvp

Reaction score

As Indiana Jones said..."it's not the years, it's the mileage". You just can't give a back 300+ carries a year early on in their career. Well you can, but then you don't extend them - you wash/rinse/repeat with another if that is going to be your offensive philosophy.

Plenty of evidence out there....Shaun Alexander comes to mind

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
“Even when he first arrived he wasn’t breaking off a lot of long runs.”

Are those your words or not? Yes or no?

The numbers I provided show that he was breaking off A LOT OF LONG RUNS by any standard his rookie year.

This ain’t about your attempt at a red herring (“I never said he didn’t have any long runs”). You’re claiming he didn’t have a lot of long runs.

Again, what aren’t you computing?
You claimed I said he didn’t break off any long runs his rookie year and you were wrong! I said he didn’t break off a lot of long runs and the stats you provided prove it. The stats you provided claim he broke 3 runs of 40+ yards. Those are long runs. The 14 runs for 20+ yards aren’t long runs.