Why did Zeke's abilities nose dive?

ATXSRT

Reaction score
This is what happens when RBs come out of college with high miles already. Zeke ran really tough in college too, those years take a toll on their bodies.

McMicah

Reaction score
I would offer that he didn’t nose dive. I think he gradually got worse, but the FO and admittedly us fans fall in love with players and probably don’t see them getting worse until a couple of years after the fact. We make excuses for them because they gave us so much early on.

Frankly, if I’m honest, I think we’ve done the same with Dak. I think his rookie year was his best one. Just like Zeke.

CWR

Reaction score
In Zeke's first two seasons, he was one of the best, or maybe the best, running back in the league. It was all downhill after that. In his last season, he was just a basic running back who could block pretty well and get you some short yardage when you need it. Other Cowboys running backs were productive way longer than Zeke. Calvin Hill, Tony Dorsett, and Emmitt Smith helped their teams way, way longer than Zeke did. Zeke was productive probably about as long as DeMarco Murray was.

What happened? I know some fans say that he got paid a bunch of money and then just got lazy. However, his play last season didn't look lazy to me. It looked like he was working really hard, but he just wasn't anywhere near as good as he used to be. Did his body just wear out? Or did he do a poor job training? Did the pandemic slow him down? What happened?

My guess would be he came into the league as such a physical back and following a couple seasons of heavy workloads at Ohio state. He just wore down, and his style of running was the reason why.

I agree it happened quickly, but he was a work horse that thrived on contact.

CWR

Reaction score
Yards per game by year:
1. 108.7
2. 98.3
3. 95.6
4. 84.8
5. 65.3
6. 58.9
7. 58.4

Yards per carry followed suit but not quite as smoothly. Regardless, it wasn't a sudden collapse.

Na, it wasn't sudden. It just happened sooner than expected.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Too much partying. Too much good food. Too much entitlement. Too little IQ. Too little desire. Guy is finished at 27 and has no one to blame but himself. HOF ability. He could have been a great one.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
To me, it looked like heavy workload met a guy that looked to punish defenders. Smith, Sanders, Dorsett, Gore, the guys you think of that played well as their careers progressed had a common ability to minimize damage taken on their bodies. Zeke didn't have, or seem to care to develop that ability. The result was a guy that averaged 3.8ypc last season, when his running mate averaged 5.2.

I wouldn't say he's completely shot. He does provide value as a short yardage/blocking back, but he's a far cry from the guy that set the RB payscale.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Garrett did to zeke what tuna did to Julius. Same number too?

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
He lost his burst. Simple as that. He played hard, but he was never that elusive to begin with and didn't have great balance to absorb hits and continue his stride, so his advantages were burst and physicality. He looked too heavy to me after his rookie year and that is what took his burst. After that he was just an ordinary back. Nothing like the game changer he was in 2016

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The aging process, along with wear and tear from taking big hits, had everything to do with Zeke's decline, imho. Zeke is only one of many NFL RBs who has gradually declined from that fate. He's been one of many and there'll surely be many more of them in the future.

Hardline

Reaction score
I think that 6 game suspension affected his spirit knowing he was 100% innocent.
I think it took some of his competitive drive away,

T-RO

Reaction score
I was a big critic of Zeke but would never seriously say he got fat or lazy. His body and athleticism just deteriorated.
This. The list of backs who fade after 3 or 4 years is long.

Chris Johnson, 5.1 YPC in season one, 6.1 in year two...then nothing close to that afterwards.

Murray, 5.5 YPC in year one, 5.2 in year three...then mediocrity.

I could go on and on. Make a huge list of these on this forum a few years ago, won't do it again. Some people are bullet proof, some are data proof and can never learn.

Praxit

Reaction score
Your body is like a car. It can be just 3 years old but if it’s got 300k miles on it then it’s gettiing wore out
....yep, I agree with this concept. I think this is what happened to Zeke. Way to many fender benders on his body.

Eventually, deeper workings began to give.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
In Zeke's first two seasons, he was one of the best, or maybe the best, running back in the league. It was all downhill after that. In his last season, he was just a basic running back who could block pretty well and get you some short yardage when you need it. Other Cowboys running backs were productive way longer than Zeke. Calvin Hill, Tony Dorsett, and Emmitt Smith helped their teams way, way longer than Zeke did. Zeke was productive probably about as long as DeMarco Murray was.

What happened? I know some fans say that he got paid a bunch of money and then just got lazy. However, his play last season didn't look lazy to me. It looked like he was working really hard, but he just wasn't anywhere near as good as he used to be. Did his body just wear out? Or did he do a poor job training? Did the pandemic slow him down? What happened?
My guess is that he was chemically enhanced in college in ways he couldn't get away with in the NFL. The dropoff between year 1 and year 2 was huge.
The combination of health, chemically enhanced zip, and a great oline in its prime made for a truly dominant rookie season.
He used himself. He looked for contact. And then Garrett was running him short yardage on 4th down where it's all just pounding.
And the oline got worse.
RBs often don't last that long, and I think Zeke lead in cumulative carries for his entire career.
He was not a RB made to last a long time, and we didn't use him to make him last longer.

cowboynut

Reaction score

It’s as simple as how when we get older our bodies change and can do less. I’m a carpenter and a retired FF and I used to do things and climb ladders and roofs like a squirrel and I’m 54 now and I can barely put up gutter Xmas lights now. It’s just that RBs get to that point way quicker. Also the money helps that decision imo

blueblood70

Reaction score

Try first 4 and mostly Injuries and the changes along the OL and OC etc he's started the last 2 seasons GREAT for the first half he was playing well like near 5YPC, got hurt , ol was getting injured and shuffled and thats why,

first 2?? um his third year,2018 Rushing crown, 4th year was top 5 in scrimmage yards. 2020 the TEAM fell apart, no dak, OL had 11 that ELEVEN different lineups it was trash season and again the last 2 seasons he was great for 8 games.. its age and injury along with the OL, OC and what not..

split carries and still got close to 1k and 12 tds nose dive, um wrong word.

kind of obvious and tired of having to fill the clueless in on real facts.. check again, he didnt fall off as much as those are saying he did but who really are better as they get older especially at RB?.. false narratives.

blueblood70

Reaction score
My guess is that he was chemically enhanced in college in ways he couldn't get away with in the NFL. The dropoff between year 1 and year 2 was huge.
The combination of health, chemically enhanced zip, and a great oline in its prime made for a truly dominant rookie season.
He used himself. He looked for contact. And then Garrett was running him short yardage on 4th down where it's all just pounding.
And the oline got worse.
RBs often don't last that long, and I think Zeke lead in cumulative carries for his entire career.
He was not a RB made to last a long time, and we didn't use him to make him last longer.
its was??? thats horribly hilarious he led the league in YPG(like over 100) and not for the suspension he would have won the rushing crown no doubt , 2018, third year won the rushing crown, 4th year top 5 in scrimmage yards..thats the most ridiculous response on zeke ive ever heard.. chemically enhanced, thats it.. let it go you are reaching.

mostly Injuries and the changes along the OL and OC etc he's started the last 2 seasons GREAT for the first half he was playing well like near 5YPC, got hurt , ol was getting injured and shuffled and thats why,

first 2?? um his third year,2018 Rushing crown, 4th year was top 5 in scrimmage yards. 2020 the TEAM fell apart, no dak, OL had 11 that ELEVEN different lineups it was trash season and again the last 2 seasons he was great for 8 games.. its age and injury along with the OL, OC and what not..

split carries and still got close to 1k and 12 tds

kind of obvious and tired of having to fill the clueless in on real facts.. check again, he didn't fall off as much as those are saying he did but who really are better as they get older especially at RB?.. false narratives.