Why did Zeke's abilities nose dive?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
He got that bag and that was his only objective. Jones should have realized this when he held out with two years on his contract.

No other explanation makes any sense.
Bull crap ..... he was just a very physical RB and after a few years he started having nagging injuries.

phildadon86

Reaction score
In Zeke's first two seasons, he was one of the best, or maybe the best, running back in the league. It was all downhill after that. In his last season, he was just a basic running back who could block pretty well and get you some short yardage when you need it. Other Cowboys running backs were productive way longer than Zeke. Calvin Hill, Tony Dorsett, and Emmitt Smith helped their teams way, way longer than Zeke did. Zeke was productive probably about as long as DeMarco Murray was.

What happened? I know some fans say that he got paid a bunch of money and then just got lazy. However, his play last season didn't look lazy to me. It looked like he was working really hard, but he just wasn't anywhere near as good as he used to be. Did his body just wear out? Or did he do a poor job training? Did the pandemic slow him down? What happened?
Cocaine is a helluva drug

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Zeke had been declining since his rookie season. That's why I was against the contract. I think Zeke knew as well which is part of the reason he held out.

Big_D

Reaction score
He over ate and his abilities didn’t happen overnight either. You could see the decline 3 years ago.

Yeah but they still sold the feed me routine and how the offense runs through Zeke. Everyone ate it up from Jerry to Zeke to the fans. It was part of the shtick where overvalue and over usage were the result. In decline and in denial.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The difference between a good back and a bad one is paper thin. Once their abilities diminish by the smallest degree they quickly become average at best.

calico

Reaction score
Playing half a season with a blown out knee ligament can’t be good for the athleticism.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Running backs dont last long

he wasnt lazy, he gave it 100% but if you touch the ball 250-300 times every year plus injuries piling up over 7-8 seasons youre going to nosedive alot of elite runningbacks have
He absolutely did not give it 100%. He came into multilpe training camps / early part of seasons out of shape.

That absolutely contributed to his steep decline.

He also committed himself to playing heavier than he should have because he didnt want to maintain and work for a smaller physique like when he came into the league. Go back and look at his draft night photos.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Being 2 satisfied kills many careers. Did he luv the game or did he luv what the game did for him on and off the field? I do wonder what may have happened if Romo was here like another year and started with Zeke. Maybe it would have been better or even worse. Zeke just got fat and happy and really lost all his chippyness that he had as a rookie. Thats the downside to being a Dallas Cowboy, the star, the glitz and glamor, JERRY and that shiet show, the way he tells the guys how great they are daily. I mean, where the hell is the motivation? I think things ARE changing though. I think the Joneses are realizing things MUST change. Hey, it just took 27 years. lmao
I agree with alot of what you said, however I can't see the Joneses changing in any way. Did you not see Jerry on his pre-draft show? He just can't be quiet and let the coach or Stephen speak without interrupting. I am through with watching Jerry because more times than not, what he says is BS. He claimed that he might draft two Qbs. I rest my case.

Big_D

Reaction score
Playing half a season with a blown out knee ligament can’t be good for the athleticism.

Blown out??? lol Talk about a complete over exaggeration! Is that every year now? He pulls himself late and down the stretch is out of gas. There's always an excuse here. The offense runs through Zeke. o_O

817Gill

Reaction score
You claimed I said he didn’t break off any long runs his rookie year and you were wrong! I said he didn’t break off a lot of long runs and the stats you provided prove it. The stats you provided claim he broke 3 runs of 40+ yards. Those are long runs. The 14 runs for 20+ yards aren’t long runs.
Brotha I think you’re severely overestimating how many times a Rb runs for 40+ yards in a season.

In 2022 for example, the high for 40+ yard runs was 4 which only two running backs accomplished. Four running backs got 3. If only 6 backs can get 3+ 40 yard runs in one season then by definition 3 runs of 40+ would be “a lot” of long runs.

In 2016, only one player had 4 rushes of 40+ yards. And 5 total (including Zeke) had 3. So in 2016, Zeke was tied for second in the league for the most 40+ yard runs and one off from the leader.

When taking perspective of the achievement into account, he did in fact have a lot of long runs his rookie year. Not sure what constitutes a lot for you but this is the NFL. You’re not gonna break off eight 40+ yard carries. Once you get to about 2 you’re doing better than most.