Why didn't the Cowboys trade up for Josh Rosen?

lk8701

Reaction score
I still don't get it. Dak only has 2 years left on his rookie contract. He is eligible for a new contract after this season. Do the Cowboys really want to ruin their salary cap by overpaying the next Alex Smith. Dak doesn't make his teammates. He doesn't throw guys open. Rosen has an elite IQ, elite processing speed, and can throw guys open. He can make all the throws at an elite level. The Cardinals just gave up their 3rd and 5th round pick to move up from 15 to 10. The Cowboys probably would have given up their 2nd rounder. However, they could have traded Dak to the Cardinals for their 2nd round pick so they still could have selected Connor Williams. Rosen with the Cowboys current o-line plus Zeke would have been dominant. Rosen played with scrubs on UCLA. He never had an elite o-line and run game. Having scrub receivers wouldn't be an issue with Rosen because he can throw them open. Most importable we would have Rosen on cheap 5 year rookie contract so we could build a stacked team around him! The Cowboys have once again proven to be a negligent and complacent franchise.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think the FO is at least somewhat convinced that Dak is their answer.

Now if Dak has another year where he falls in that 14-20 range statistically, and the team ends up .500 or worse with the you g talent they have accumulated, they may consider continuing their search in 2019.

Not there yet, and the hope is that they wont be for a very long time.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I still don't get it. Dak only has 2 years left on his rookie contract. He is eligible for a new contract after this season. Do the Cowboys really want to ruin their salary cap by overpaying the next Alex Smith. Dak doesn't make his teammates. He doesn't throw guys open. Rosen has an elite IQ, elite processing speed, and can throw guys open. He can make all the throws at an elite level. The Cardinals just gave up their 3rd and 5th round pick to move up from 15 to 10. The Cowboys probably would have given up their 2nd rounder. However, they could have traded Dak to the Cardinals for their 2nd round pick so they still could have selected Connor Williams. Rosen with the Cowboys current o-line plus Zeke would have been dominant. Rosen played with scrubs on UCLA. He never had an elite o-line and run game. Having scrub receivers wouldn't be an issue with Rosen because he can throw them open. Most importable we would have Rosen on cheap 5 year rookie contract so we could build a stacked team around him! The Cowboys have once again proven to be a negligent and complacent franchise.

Just say Dak makes his teammates worse....which you are implying.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Oooor, maybe we wait till next draft to decide if we need a new QB. If we are rubbish, then I suppose we'll need a new QB because that will be two rubbish seasons (though, I'd much rather get one of the DTs in this draft as they are essentially McLaren F1s compared to your run of the mill QB). If we are good, then don't get a QB. Bailing on a young QB after two seasons is a rubbish idea.

Knotamus

Reaction score
Dallas drafted Mike White for the very reasons the OP is concerned ab. Mike White was thought to be a 2-3rd talent, has nice size to go along with an above average arm.. dude can spin the rock. He’s still needs polishing, but he’ll impress during preseason much like Cooper did last year. The good news here.. Dak is still the man in Dallas. White and Cooper have the time to polish thier games and maybe push Dak if he dosent live up to expectations. Personally, I’m still a fan of the 2016 Rookie of the year.. the fact that we have two young and talented guys behind our young and talented Starter says a lot ab our depth.

Last edited:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Dak is good enough to trade to Arizona for a 2nd but you want to give up our first and second to get Rosen...... Haha nah we are a much better team with Dak, Leighton and Connor

Exactly. We'll be alright, and, if Dak is indeed rubbish, we'll be in jolly good position to draft a new QB. If not, like I said, we will be in great position to draft one of the McLaren DTs that will be available.

exciter

Reaction score
Funny...i kind of put Rosen's ceiling as Alex Smith if everything goes right for him, which is asking a lot. They have 2 more seasons to evaluate Dak before they have to make a decision. Unless he puts forth a complete turd this season I don't expect for them to look for a qb high until then...nor should they! If you're so convinced Dak isn't the qb of the future why is it you don't think Arizona, with pro scouts and coaches and such could make the same determination and would be willing to give up a 2nd round pick for him?

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Exactly. We'll be alright, and, if Dak is indeed rubbish, we'll be in jolly good position to draft a new QB. If not, like I said, we will be in great position to draft one of the McLaren DTs that will be available.
I'm confident in Dak but we also have Rush and White. Getting a top DT would for sure put us over the top next season after most likely signing Earl Thomas in free agency

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. I am a big Rosen fan, he was my #1 ranked QB this year and the only guy I saw as a franchise quarterback. But let's be real - he's never even completed an NFL pass. Dak has two years under his belt, and at his worst, he's been a league average quarterback. I'm not just giving that away for a "maybe" draft pick. Rosen could be a stud. He could be the next Matt Leinart. You never know.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'm confident in Dak but we also have Rush and White. Getting a top DT would for sure put us over the top next season after most likely signing Earl Thomas in free agency

Exactly. I expect us to do well this season, but I don't think we'll go the SB yet. Get ET and a top DT in the draft (which will be teeming with DTs that we need), and I think the 2019 season will be brilliant for us.

Reaction score
The team is/was at a talent deficit in multiple roster spots, they didn't have enough high draft picks to waste one hedging their bets at QB. Their all-in with Dak for one more year, hopefully many more.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Exactly. I expect us to do well this season, but I don't think we'll go the SB yet. Get ET and a top DT in the draft (which will be teeming with DTs that we need), and I think the 2019 season will be brilliant for us.
I think we can win this season. Healthy we can play with anybody in the league. Our guys need to make a huge jump this year, if that happens the sky is the limit.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
94JUFbI.png

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think we can win this season. Healthy we can play with anybody in the league. Our guys need to make a huge jump this year, if that happens the sky is the limit.

I agree with you there, and I hope we can go as far as possible. My guess for how this season goes (though, with sports being as unpredictable as it is, who knows?), I reckon that we'll go 11-5 and make it to the NFC Championship game finally. Unfortunately, I think our lack of quality DT will catch up with us then.