Why didn't the Cowboys trade up for Josh Rosen?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Mike White will save the day if Dak turns into a turd. That said, this hyperbolic panic over Dak not being good enough at the 11th hour of the offseason by the OP is ridiculous. Turn your Cowboy card in and become Cleveland Browns fan. :facepalm:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Alex Smith is used as a "insult" I guess but he wins games. Or he at least quarterbacks teams that wins games. He wins more games than Matt Stafford and Matt Ryan who people love because of their "arm strength.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I still don't get it. Dak only has 2 years left on his rookie contract. He is eligible for a new contract after this season. Do the Cowboys really want to ruin their salary cap by overpaying the next Alex Smith. Dak doesn't make his teammates. He doesn't throw guys open. Rosen has an elite IQ, elite processing speed, and can throw guys open. He can make all the throws at an elite level. The Cardinals just gave up their 3rd and 5th round pick to move up from 15 to 10. The Cowboys probably would have given up their 2nd rounder. However, they could have traded Dak to the Cardinals for their 2nd round pick so they still could have selected Connor Williams. Rosen with the Cowboys current o-line plus Zeke would have been dominant. Rosen played with scrubs on UCLA. He never had an elite o-line and run game. Having scrub receivers wouldn't be an issue with Rosen because he can throw them open. Most importable we would have Rosen on cheap 5 year rookie contract so we could build a stacked team around him! The Cowboys have once again proven to be a negligent and complacent franchise.
Just like when Dallas had the chance to move up to secure Wentz but was too dam cheap to spend the draft pick on insurance. Now both the Cardinals and Eagles are set up for years to come. They dont have to spend 100 million dollars on thier oline to give the QB an extra 3-4 sec for the QB to decide what he wants to do because he is afraid to throw the ball to Beasley 20 yards down field sprinting across the middle and has a step on his guy!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Guess I’m not concerned ab DT as some are. I mean, do we have an Aaron Donald? No, but neither do 31 other teams.. (he’ll for that matter, the Rams have Suh and Donald! What?!) Marinelli scheme dosent put an emphasis at the 1T. It’s the 3t that matters. Collins played well his rookie season and was hurt much of last year. Although the move to 1T seems to have hurts his game, he’s still a good talent. Irving could be a legit All Pro 3t if he could consistently stay on the field. Ward thrives under Marenilli and could be Irving 2.0 (trust me). Price is overlooked, but eats up blocks allowing the Rushmen to do work (this is exactly how Marenilli schemes his 1T). Datone Jones might just surprise some folks and played well late last season. And Antwaun Woods could be another Price. So how many are we keeping? 3, maybe 4 since DEs tend to slide into DT during obvious passing downs. We’ll be fine as long as the plethora of DEs that we have do their jobs.

My main concern is FS. I can’t stress enough how much it would help this team if we had a proven ProBowl, Super Bowl winning veteran to act as a security blanket for our young thoroughbred CBs. Personally that would be the icing on the cake for me.

This is a passing league. Besides, if our offense is chugging along like they can.. teams will be passing even more to play catch-up. A dominant 1T dosent get me as excited as a safety that makes the opposing QB scared to throw deep. Phone home.

I agree with you there to an extent with the Marinelli argument. But, I do still think one of the DTs next draft would be more effective. Look at it this way, I think if we can get our front 7 top notch, that our secondary will build itself. I think ET will be a good pickup for us next year, but I think our safeties this season should be okay.

kskboys

Reaction score
Just like when Dallas had the chance to move up to secure Wentz but was too dam cheap to spend the draft pick on insurance. Now both the Cardinals and Eagles are set up for years to come. They dont have to spend 100 million dollars on thier oline to give the QB an extra 3-4 sec for the QB to decide what he wants to do because he is afraid to throw the ball to Beasley 20 yards down field sprinting across the middle and has a step on his guy!
Set up for years to come? W/ a QB prone to soft tissue damage? Is this like the Jets being set for years to come w/ Sanchez, or the Vikes being set for years to come w/ Bridgewater, CLEV w/ Manziel, WASH w/ RGIII, or ARI w/ Leinart?

JustChip

Reaction score
A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. I am a big Rosen fan, he was my #1 ranked QB this year and the only guy I saw as a franchise quarterback. But let's be real - he's never even completed an NFL pass. Dak has two years under his belt, and at his worst, he's been a league average quarterback. I'm not just giving that away for a "maybe" draft pick. Rosen could be a stud. He could be the next Matt Leinart. You never know.
Exactly. Regardless of the handwringing that goes on here, this team is a playoff caliber team this year. They wouldn't be with Rosen. There's not guarantee that Rosen will be any better next year in what would be his 2nd year than Dak in his 4th year.

Knotamus

Reaction score
I agree with you there to an extent with the Marinelli argument. But, I do still think one of the DTs next draft would be more effective. Look at it this way, I think if we can get our front 7 top notch, that our secondary will build itself. I think ET will be a good pickup for us next year, but I think our safeties this season should be okay.

I see your point, honestly I do. Your looking at building the defense from the inside out, and I usually prefer that approach. My stance with the Boys is.. I feel like we have enough talent on the DL to disguise deficiencies. Unfortunately, the back end of this defense doesn’t have enough veteran experience imo. Don’t get me wrong...I think most people on this site forget the excitement of drafting Xavier Woods.His second season could very well be the year that the rest of the league realizes his talent. (I hope he can make us forget ab ET) Jeff Heath is still underrated & dosent deserve his “whipping boy” status. Frazier is sufficient at SS and seems to get better every year. Likewise, I’m hopeful we catch lightening in the bottle with Kelly and/or Robinson. Our young secondary needs a “General Lee” like leadership to keep them in position and prepared for the next play.

That’s said.. I’m not against more DT talent. The more the merrier. To be honest, if our LB core wasn’t weak, I think Dallas would have picked Vea in the first round. Could you imagine Dallas starting the season with Jaylon & Lee as our only proven starting Lbers? The addition and flexibility of LVE was huge, exp since we predominantly deploy 2LBer sets.

I’m all for drafting a DL (1T) next year..but will Dallas believe the same? And in what round? The funny thing is.. before last season, most wouldn’t have thought WR was a priority this draft. With Dez, Beasley, Williams, and newly drafted Switzer. Some would believe we were set. Yet, by seasons end.. Wr became a top priority in the draft by most Media. My point.. by next draft, we’ll have a totally different view of the team and it’s priorities. Hell, Lawrence’s (and Irving) breakout season is the only reason DE wasn’t talked ab in the first round. (We still gained a talent in Armstrong in the 4th tho)

I personally believe if nothing happens with ET this year, then by next year when his headed towards 31yo, I’d rather just draft a top notch safety ion next years draft

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I see your point, honestly I do. Your looking at building the defense from the inside out, and I usually prefer that approach. My stance with the Boys is.. I feel like we have enough talent on the DL to disguise deficiencies. Unfortunately, the back end of this defense doesn’t have enough veteran experience imo. Don’t get me wrong...I think most people on this site forget the excitement of drafting Xavier Woods.His second season could very well be the year that the rest of the league realizes his talent. (I hope he can make us forget ab ET) Jeff Heath is still underrated & dosent deserve his “whipping boy” status. Frazier is sufficient at SS and seems to get better every year. Likewise, I’m hopeful we catch lightening in the bottle with Kelly and/or Robinson. Our young secondary needs a “General Lee” like leadership to keep them in position and prepared for the next play.

That’s said.. I’m not against more DT talent. The more the merrier. To be honest, if our LB core wasn’t weak, I think Dallas would have picked Vea in the first round. Could you imagine Dallas starting the season with Jaylon & Lee as our only proven starting Lbers? The addition and flexibility of LVE was huge, exp since we predominantly deploy 2LBer sets.

I’m all for drafting a DL (1T) next year..but will Dallas believe the same? And in what round? The funny thing is.. before last season, most wouldn’t have thought WR was a priority this draft. With Dez, Beasley, Williams, and newly drafted Switzer. Some would believe we were set. Yet, by seasons end.. Wr became a top priority in the draft by most Media. My point.. by next draft, we’ll have a totally different view of the team and it’s priorities. Hell, Lawrence’s (and Irving) breakout season is the only reason DE wasn’t talked ab in the first round. (We still gained a talent in Armstrong in the 4th tho)

I personally believe if nothing happens with ET this year, then by next year when his headed towards 31yo, I’d rather just draft a top notch safety ion next years draft

I suppose it'll depend on who the DC is next year.

kskboys

Reaction score

Vea was long gone when we picked.

Knotamus

Reaction score
Vea was long gone when we picked.

Lol.. “long gone”. Uh, ok. Well, thanks for the update, but I’m well aware Vea was picked seven spots ahead of Dallas.

It was rumored that Dallas liked Vea before the draft. If Dallas wanted Vea.. They could have easily traded up to get him. They obviously coveted LVE more.

kskboys

Reaction score
Lol.. “long gone”. Uh, ok. Well, thanks for the update, but I’m well aware Vea was picked seven spots ahead of Dallas.

It was rumored that Dallas liked Vea before the draft. If Dallas wanted Vea.. They could have easily traded up to get him. They obviously coveted LVE more.
7 spots is long gone. And I can't agree w/ the word "easily". Finding a trading partner, finding a trading partner who doesn't want the sun and the moon.

csirl

Reaction score
I think the OP's proposed trades are/were too optimistic. Is a lot more difficult to trade up in the 1st round to get a QB.

However I dont agree with those comments that disagree with investing high draft picks in securing QBs who "have never thrown a pass in the NFL". Yes 1st round QBs can bust, but the facts are that most of the leagues elite QBs are drafted early.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think the OP's proposed trades are/were too optimistic. Is a lot more difficult to trade up in the 1st round to get a QB.

However I dont agree with those comments that disagree with investing high draft picks in securing QBs who "have never thrown a pass in the NFL". Yes 1st round QBs can bust, but the facts are that most of the leagues elite QBs are drafted early.
Completely agree. Because if you don't have a QB, you got nothing. And you must spend and spend and spend until you get one.

I don't care for Rosen as a player, which is why I wouldn't have traded up for him. Plus, we have a nice young QB and got a very good prospect in the 5th in White. So, in this instance, trading up for a QB would be stupid.

J-man

Reaction score
Better question is, why didn't Dallas trade up for one of those Safeties?

jrumann59

Reaction score
Alex Smith is used as a "insult" I guess but he wins games. Or he at least quarterbacks teams that wins games. He wins more games than Matt Stafford and Matt Ryan who people love because of their "arm strength.
Call it insult or call it what it is. He is a busdriver, he needs a very complete team for him to win anything outside the post season. He is not capable to drive a field in 60 seconds if his team needs it. IF his team is behind two scores in the 4th there is no confidence he will get you those two scores. He is methodical and is capable of winning games in the regular season and he will never be a statistical monster. He is not flashy and he would rather check down to a RB or someone else then try and make a throw down the field in most cases. He is a 100% risk averse QB which does not lend itself to being post season successful.