Twitter: Why do Cowboys fans get labeled as bandwagoners?

JayFord

Reaction score
I wish someone ever called me a band wagon fan

Some games they make me wanna puke on that star

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
We're leading the league in attendance for the 10th year in a row. Granted, we have the biggest stadium, but I highly doubt most teams would get up to 90k+ every game if they had the capacity.

Meanwhile, compare us to Atlanta. They have a new world-class stadium and were in the Super Bowl three years ago, now look at them. The photo below was taken 2 minutes into the 1st quarter today.

I'm sick of hearing about how much we're bandwagoners. If anything, we are one of the most loyal fanbases in the NFL.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance

its a carry-over expression for sure. Often words, phrases, habits, ideas just grab hold in a culture and dont let go for generations. As a die hard Boys fan since 1971 growing up in New York City, I can tell you from first hand knowledge I have been on the receiving end of that many times, from its birth. I was a fan before they won a SB, before the cheerleaders existed and before they were called Americas Team. But all the winning, plus squeaky clean Staubach (Captain America), the cheerleaders, and that awful phrase Americas team, made so many people hate them and people like me who rooted for an out of town team took a lot of crap for many years. I still hear it. Im in Florida now near an old friend I grew up with, a Giants fan, is here too, and he still talks crap to me. He still is obsessed with his hatred for the team recently saying he didnt think Jones deserved the Hall of Fame. He cant grow up. But back to your specific question after the America Team thing and they had 2 super bowls in the bag (tied with Miami only behind Pittsburgh for many years) the haters would call us band wagon jumpers. I would say I was rooting since before they won their first SB, but they wont listen. They want to find some justification to not just say they hate Dallas but also attack your character. Real juvenile stuff. It will take at least 50 more years before it may go away, if it does.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Because the logic of some people makes them believe that a person who doesn't have an favorite NFL team, would then decide to became a Cowboys over all other NFL teams. Even though they constantly remind us that the Cowboys haven't done anything in 20+ years they think that it makes more sense to "bandwagon" the Cowboys, instead of joining a team that has won the Superbowl more recently. Why in this case would we decide to become Cowboys fans and not Patriots fans. Or switch to being a fan of another team that has won the Superbowl more recently. Makes no sense at all. :facepalm:

aria

Reaction score
We're leading the league in attendance for the 10th year in a row. Granted, we have the biggest stadium, but I highly doubt most teams would get up to 90k+ every game if they had the capacity.

Meanwhile, compare us to Atlanta. They have a new world-class stadium and were in the Super Bowl three years ago, now look at them. The photo below was taken 2 minutes into the 1st quarter today.

I'm sick of hearing about how much we're bandwagoners. If anything, we are one of the most loyal fanbases in the NFL.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance

S6knIFM.png

Bwahahahahahahahahah...the most loyal fan base? Have you ever come to this site after a loss? We go from self proclaimed SB champs to a dumpster fire over the course of 2 weeks. Do you realize how big the metroplex is compared to some of these other teams cities? Have you ever been to a Cowboys game and do you realize how expensive tickets are and how many seats are filled by corporations who own season tickets and give away tickets to potential clients who aren’t even fans?

It really does amaze me how the fan base continues to grow amongst younger fans despite the lack of success.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

The Cowboys have the largest fan base. Most die hard fans. Most bandwagoners when things are going well too.

That just goes to show that Jerry is good at picking up transient fans. And he is. He keeps us in the news. He is an entertainer.

Are you not entertained?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Any Cowboy fan outside of the local broadcast region I’d describe as a Bandwagon which isn’t meant to be a slant. They may see themselves as a Diehard now but they abandoned their local or regional team at some point. Unless they relocated from this area or had family that did influencing them.

Bandwagon fans hop on usually because of a championship winning team , a player or players attract them. Rarely do fans abandon their local teams if they’re winning championships. I’ve never met a Dallas or Texas native who wasn’t a Cowboy fan. Except for a few Houston fans.

Local or regional fans can be casual as well only watching or having more interest when they’re winning while not abandoning. Local diehards are usually the more critical and apathetic fans when team isn’t having success. Critical fans are often confused as Bandwagon because they are so unhappy when team isn't winning.

And just because you at some point hopped on the wagon instead of being born into it doesn’t make you’re any less of a fan. As a matter of fact I’ve found them to at times to be more homerish because it was their choice to follow. They also can be more sensitive to the criticism.

But the interest outside of our local and regional broadcast area comes with the territory when you’ve had championship success over a couple different generations. Like the Yankees, Lakers or Celtics for example.

And I’ve met many of these afar fans at games who have become great and loyal fans now. But there usually is a little different mentality choosing your team than being born into it.

I’m a Baylor alumni . I’m a fan despite them being a dormant team for most of my life with no real chance to win a championship. Very apathetic attitude much like I take with Cowboys now. Not expecting to win a championship. It’s a different mentality . Similar to what I’ve seen like in Detroit or Cleveland .

It’s not much fun following a horrible team and why fans often hop on other wagons . My wife’s is alumni of Texas. They are my Wagon team. I’ll root for them if it doesn’t effect Baylor.

Last edited:

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Any Cowboy fan outside of the local broadcast region I’d describe as a Bandwagon which isn’t meant to be a slant. They may see themselves as a Diehard now but they abandoned their local or regional team at some point. Unless they relocated from this area or had family that did influencing them.

Bandwagon fans hop on usually because of a championship winning team , a player or players attract them. Rarely do fans abandon their local teams if they’re winning championships. I’ve never met a Dallas or Texas native who wasn’t a Cowboy fan. Except for a few Houston fans.

Local or regional fans can be casual as well only watching or having more interest when they’re winning while not abandoning. Local diehards are usually the more critical and apathetic fans when team isn’t having success. Critical fans are often confused as Bandwagon because they are so unhappy when team isn't winning.

And just because you at some point hopped on the wagon instead of being born into it doesn’t make you’re any less of a fan. As a matter of fact I’ve found them to at times to be more homerish because it was their choice to follow. They also can be more sensitive to the criticism.

But the interest outside of our local and regional broadcast area comes with the territory when you’ve had championship success over a couple different generations. Like the Yankees, Lakers or Celtics for example.

And I’ve met many of these afar fans at games who have become great and loyal fans now. But there usually is a little different mentality choosing your team than being born into it.

I’m a Baylor alumni . I’m a fan despite them being a dormant team for most of my life with no real chance to win a championship. Very apathetic attitude much like I take with Cowboys now. Not expecting to win a championship. It’s a different mentality . Similar to what I’ve seen like in Detroit or Cleveland .

It’s not much fun following a horrible team and why fans often hop on other wagons . My wife’s is alumni of Texas. They are my Wagon team. I’ll root for them if it doesn’t effect Baylor.
Spoken like a true baby boomer, Landry-disciple Cowboys fan.

I've lived in North Carolina my entire life and we didn't have a team to watch until around 1995/96. Before that, you know who our "home team" was? Yes, the Cowboys (and maybe even the Commanders) because that's all that was on TV. Even today, I foolishly subscribe to Sunday Ticket and I still have access to almost all of the games without it. I was born into fandom (three generations) and I've never stepped a foot in the state of Texas. Who are you to quantify the extent of someone like me's fandom? The Cowboys have not had any considerable success in this league since I was in kindergarten. What "bandwagon" am I exactly on? I have never seen any member of this team hoisting a Lombardi, while also not pissing my pants and watching Sesame Street.

What about Cowboys fans that live in states like Kentucky or Nevada or even Montana? Are they on the "bandwagon" too?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score

The regional or geographical argument is a poor one with the availability and popularity of sports. Reeks of elitism or "we're better than you" mentality.

Bandwagon simply applies to fans who are willing to jump on or off the bandwagon. A die hard Cowboy fan is a Cowboy fan, regardless of where they are from.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
I hate the stereotype but I can see where it comes from

Cowboys have the biggest fanbase in which a large part of it are from fans all over.

Why are there so many Cowboy fans in markets like New York?

hint: it aint because of Jerry Jones

Also, casuals like to boast about 5 super bowls and legends like the triplets even though reality is that this has been one of the worst franchises in the last 20 years.

Last edited: