CFZ Why Do Fans Keep Trying To Cut Jourdan Lewis?

kskboys

Reaction score
We didn’t miss him? Are you serious? We signed 3 washed vets and cycled through the young guys in November/December. Do you not recall Joseph getting picked on in Jacksonville? That very well cost us the 1 seed. Do you not remember Wright’s play?

We didn’t “miss” him when AB was healthy. Once you lost him you are down to 2 dependable CB’s. It’s about depth. No you didn’t miss him when everyone was perfectly healthy behind him. That’s because we were 4 deep.

The “didn’t miss him” is literally solely due to having 4 competent CB’s. I’m pining for that same 4 quality CB’s, so yes I want to have what we had to start the year last year; 4 not three like you are suggesting.

Lewis being on the team has zero bearing on Eric Scott. He’s a 6th round developmental rookie, he will get a spot but he’s not anyone to count on at this point. I will 100000% make Wright and Joseph duke it out for the last CB spot. Cutting proven veteran depth for anyone on our depth chart below Lewis not named Eric Scott is nuts.

If we didn’t miss him, why the heck did we sign Mackensie Alexander, Trayvon Mullen, and Xavier Rhodes? Lewis is better than all three and would’ve been a Godsend after Brown went down. Diggs/Bland/Lewis would be much more solid than the ragtag CB3’s we were trying.
Good stuff.

Eric Scott = Reggie Robinson. Very limited player. Look for him to hang around because we refuse to cut bait w/ limited talent draft picks, but he won't make it.

rambo2

Reaction score
They don't get how critical it is to have a solid stable of depth at CB. Versatility is also a huge benefit. Madden and fantasy football are turning fans minds into mush. I hope Lewis' foot will fully heal and he will be in camp.
They will have solid depth with whoever makes the roster.

kskboys

Reaction score
These same guys would've cut Bill Bates back in the day because he wasn't a very good S.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really don’t get it. We just saw how important CB depth was last year and now we want to cut a dependable vet CB?

Assuming he can return to form (obviously if he’s not the same guy this doesn’t apply), that gives us a 4 deep CB room that can withstand multiple injuries.

Mukuamu is not a full time CB, he’s a Swiss Army knife. Counting on him to step in and be a pure CB in the event of an injury is dicey. Joseph and Wright don’t inspire nearly enough confidence to cut Lewis, and Scott is a rook.

Y’all wanna go veteran dumpster diving in December if we have an injury? Did y’all not see how a lack of CB depth can greatly affect a defense? Is 4.7M of cap space we won’t use more important than having insurance and depth at an important position?

So many keep suggesting this as if the team is going to take 4M and bring back a stud. Lewis’s depth and vet dependability is much more valuable to us than 4M in savings.

If Bland gets hurt, who the heck is our starting slot CB? Without Lewis, we wouldn’t even have the slightest clue let alone be confident it won’t be an issue. Dude got injured on a sweet instinctual pick last season, he’s not great but he’s definitely got some game and experience. Cutting him makes little sense.
Most that want him gone are just hating on him like they hate on most of the team. The others
Don't know enough about it so they just follow along. He's a quality back up and part time starter im a pinch, when healthy

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I really don’t get it. We just saw how important CB depth was last year and now we want to cut a dependable vet CB?

Assuming he can return to form (obviously if he’s not the same guy this doesn’t apply), that gives us a 4 deep CB room that can withstand multiple injuries.

Mukuamu is not a full time CB, he’s a Swiss Army knife. Counting on him to step in and be a pure CB in the event of an injury is dicey. Joseph and Wright don’t inspire nearly enough confidence to cut Lewis, and Scott is a rook.

Y’all wanna go veteran dumpster diving in December if we have an injury? Did y’all not see how a lack of CB depth can greatly affect a defense? Is 4.7M of cap space we won’t use more important than having insurance and depth at an important position?

So many keep suggesting this as if the team is going to take 4M and bring back a stud. Lewis’s depth and vet dependability is much more valuable to us than 4M in savings.

If Bland gets hurt, who the heck is our starting slot CB? Without Lewis, we wouldn’t even have the slightest clue let alone be confident it won’t be an issue. Dude got injured on a sweet instinctual pick last season, he’s not great but he’s definitely got some game and experience. Cutting him makes little sense.
Do fans have any say so? Lewis is no doubt the best 4th cb in the nfl. Cause I have to think Bland if the 3rd

When is the last time anybody could say Dallas had a complete secondary with an insane amount of depth.

817Gill

Reaction score
He’s not an every down spot CB brotha. He’s a S/CB hybrid who can do a bit of both. He is nowhere near a proven slot or outside corner.

Lewis is a proven. Counting on Mukuamu to perform there is counting on hope.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

he is peacked. he is as good as he will ever be, and that's a slot corner and not a great one at that. good for depth, but perhaps we can find someone with a higher ceiling.

rambo2

Reaction score
He’s not an every down spot CB brotha. He’s a S/CB hybrid who can do a bit of both. He is nowhere near a proven slot or outside corner.

Lewis is a proven. Counting on Mukuamu to perform there is counting on hope.
I disagree.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

“We’ll see,’’ Lewis said. “We don’t want to be on the PUP list. I’m going to be rehabbing crazy to make sure I’m not on the PUP list."

He displaced bones in the midfoot and had ligament damage. Lewis had screws, nuts and bolts installed to stabilize the area and was in a boot until late March and then crutches

“It was pretty severe,’’ “Just getting used to this new foot, because I know it will never be back to normal."

He will wear cleats during his rehab so the shoe can conform to the foot, which he said will always be a little bigger than his left one.

That’s the sensation he’s adapting to currently. The veteran is encouraged the foot doesn’t swell nearly as much as it did when he first resumed working out.

“The surgeon said I’ll be fine,’’ “It’s just pushing through that soreness."
“That’s really what we’re working through right now.’’

Last edited:

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
This guy may never make it back from his injury, much less be as good as he once was. They will probably cut him after he passes hos physical.

Jarntt

Reaction score
He is coming off of a major injury and is on the last year of his deal. We aren't cutting him unless we know for sure we have a #4 option and maybe a #5 option, but I think it comes down to how things develop and I think there is at least a chance it happens. I think you discount what Mukuama did coming into a playoff came and playing CB for us. He was really good and that was with how much time learning at corner? I'm just not sure if the team sees him as a safety or a CB. If it is the latter I think that goes al long way towards possibly cutting Lewis. Plus we could add another vet between now and week 1. In a cap world you need to be willing to let guys go who aren't playing up to their cap hit or to bring in guys who will help more. What if we could sign Marcus Peters to a similar contract as Lewis currently has if he is still out there in a couple months? What if we want to use it to sign an OG that gets cut before the season or maybe even for Risner? Or maybe one of the kids, draft picks or UDFAs steps up or most important of all, what if Lewis isn't healthy by week 1 or never is the same again. Again it isn't happening unless we find at least a solid #4. I do think it's too early to assume cutting Lewis is a bad idea, but I know it is too early to assume it is a good idea...

DanA

Reaction score
  • I really don’t get it. We just saw how important CB depth was last year and now we want to cut a dependable vet CB?

It comes down to roster construction. Currently, going into training camp we have:
  1. Diggs: Pro bowler and lock to start on a rookie contract
  2. Gilmore: Pro bowler and lock to start on a team-friendly contract
  3. Bland: PFF graded him 71.9 with 5 interceptions on roughly 50% of snaps last season. Should improve as a 2nd-year player.
  4. Lewis: Solid slot corner that while can play outside, can be targeted because of height. 5m per season contract is cheap for the talent, but expensive if he's not locked into a starting role and he's got some health concerns with the foot
  5. Scott: A 6th-rounder rookie. Has been an OTA highlight running at times running with the starters, but obviously a 6th rounder has work to do to even play a rotational role on defense as a rookie and you can't really project that in June
  6. Wright: A former 3rd-round pick and ST player going into his 3rd year. He's improved and wasn't horrible as an outside corner late last season but further progress is needed to feel comfortable with him elevating to a regular rotational role
  7. Joseph: A former 2nd-round pick and good ST player also going into his 3rd year. The athletic ability and potential are there but he's been disappointing. He's been playing in the slot this pre-season and you'd like to see him succeed, but like Wright, he's running out of time and needs to show significant progress as he's been well off NFL standard.
  8. Mukuamu: A utility safety/ nickel corner and I think looked very good last season. IMO he's deserving of a coverage role on defense, but with the talent we have in the secondary it's probably a niche one covering bigger slot corners and TE's
  9. Goodwin: A special teams player and "in case of emergency" CB

It's possible we carry seven but to me, it's more probable that it's whittled down to six. Outside the top three, Lewis easily stands out to me as the only other option that has shown NFL level play as a corner, and his 5m dollar contract is a good price for what he's demonstrated in the past. The problem is that Lewis is injured, he's earning a bit more than you want to pay a backup, and he doesn't offer much on special teams (we have better return guys). Because of this, I think there are two semi-realistic scenarios where Lewis does not make the roster:
  • Scenario 1: Either Scott or Wright ball out in training camp and show enough that the coaching staff/front office feel sufficiently satisfied that they can cover outside corner (should an injury strike). In this scenario, I think Bland would then start as our slot corner, and if/when injury occurs, one of Wright/Scott plays on the outside, with Gilmore shifting to our primary slot corner. Not ideal but viable IMO. It's more of an it will do type solution.
  • Scenario 2: The penny finally drops for Joseph and he balls out in training camp winning the backup role as a slot corner. I think that Joseph's cheaper contract, the two years left on it, and his special teams versatility mean that if it's close he gets the nod. There's a big leap required based on his past NFL performances, but I do think the coaching staff will be looking for him to convince them he can do the job. Because, If Joseph is viable, it gives a lot more flexibility in building the roster than carrying Lewis/Goodwin.
I still think Lewis is favorite to make the roster and he might even start ahead of Bland. Equally, I don't think it's that far-fetched that one of the above two scenarios occur and we are looking to trade or just cut Lewis as we lock in a 53 man roster.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Because they don't know football and think every shinny new pick is better than what we have already. Lewis is a top 5 slot corner when on the field. He single handedly took Alvin Kamara out of a game a couple years ago when nobody could stop him.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Because fan media is absurd. Cutting a vet starting CB even if he really can only start in slot is not worth 5M. Especially since you don't actually save 5M.
Keeping Nashon Wright instead who can only play outside and may never be a starter costs you 1.3M and you eat 1.1M in dead cap next year.
If JLew can't win a job in camp then so be it but if he can you just let him go the next year in free agency, free up his salary without any dead cap hits and possibly recoup an R6 comp pick or some such.