Why do I keep reading Jerry better pay Dak now?

MikeB80

Reaction score
I said this last week and I will say it again. It seems the only point of this season from day one was to get Dak numbers so he could justify the contract. This is all that is talked about with this organization, Dak's Contract. It's almost like everyone knows the organization is a joke and so across the board from the media the main theme has been everything happens to justify a contract.

This is a long way from Gerry Fraley's article the morning after romo broke his collarbone versus the giants in 2010 where He said "Good he is a self absorbed loser"

I don't understand the media's obsession over Prescott getting the contract. Then again when you know the team has zero chance of winning anything I guess this is more interesting to talk about.

These guys will be the first to write articles next year about how the team cant fix the defense because it has no money and they don't know how to handle the cap.

CorpusChristiCowboy

Reaction score
Imagine having something like this at QB..

There would be no arguments.

The Chargers get him for 5 years on a rookie deal..

I would not play this Dak game.. QBs are easier then ever to find. Stop settling for mediocre and paying mediocre elite QB money.

Can you IMAGINE preferring Herbert over Prescott? Dak is a top 10 QB.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Its a PC world and saying dak doesn't deserve to get paid goes against the narrative that is supposed to be followed. Most on Twitter will go with the narrative to avoid losing followers. Fewer followers, less money.

Not saying dak shouldn't be signed, but I do think the discussion is worth having.

CorpusChristiCowboy

Reaction score
I said this last week and I will say it again. It seems the only point of this season from day one was to get Dak numbers so he could justify the contract. This is all that is talked about with this organization, Dak's Contract. It's almost like everyone knows the organization is a joke and so across the board from the media the main theme has been everything happens to justify a contract.

This is a long way from Gerry Fraley's article the morning after romo broke his collarbone versus the giants in 2010 where He said "Good he is a self absorbed loser"

I don't understand the media's obsession over Prescott getting the contract. Then again when you know the team has zero chance of winning anything I guess this is more interesting to talk about.

These guys will be the first to write articles next year about how the team cant fix the defense because it has no money and they don't know how to handle the cap.
Man, it feels like every org's fans think they are a joke. I lurk other forums and have seen respected teams like the Saints and Packers criticize the management and are convinced they would be in shambles if not for having HoF QBs. 'Skins and Bengals fans see us way better, etc etc etc.
Just something I noticed, it's not wrong.

shabazz

Reaction score
The salary cap is about to plummet.

Be careful.

Bingo. The NFL and NBA are about to find out that there "actions" they have taken outside of sports will have long standing ramifications. The ratings have and will stay down.

What they didn't understand is that the people that they chose to alienate and vilify are the people that bring that hard cash to their arenas and to their sponsors.

They let the media and their players decide these things.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
I am finding it hard to believe that an injury this serious isn’t going to factor in to negotiations. Ankles aren’t knees. It’s a much less mobile joint but still takes a pounding. A loss in mobility in the ankle can be devastating to a career in sports. That’s just a fact.

Now I think Dak will make a recovery and he’s obviously going to have access to the best sports medical care in the world. The odds are in his favor that he makes a full recovery but it’s not an open and shut case. Degenerative arthritis isn’t like that. It can be very unpredictable. Brandon Roy’s NBA career was destroyed in his prime almost overnight because of accelerated arthritis in his knees as a result of injuries he sustained. That, from my understanding, is what the main long term worry would be and I can’t believe it won’t be on the FO’s mind. I think he gets franchised next year. I think that’s a no brainer but as to a long term deal, Dak isn’t quite in the driver’s seat anymore. He had the FO by the short hairs. Things have changed now, maybe not by much, but they have changed.

CorpusChristiCowboy

Reaction score
Bingo. The NFL and NBA are about to find out that there "actions" they have taken outside of sports will have long standing ramifications. The ratings have and will stay down.

What they didn't understand is that the people that they chose to alienate and vilify are the people that bring that hard cash to their arenas and to their sponsors.

They let the media and their players decide these things.
The situation isn't the same as the NBA at all. They allowed a player to have too much power in their league and doubled down on **** they didn't even understand. I imagine there's fatigue about the Lakers winning again too. The NBA also bungled relations with a huge market in China. (and them trying to weasel back there goes against their whole stance).
The NFL barely has anything like that, aside from messages on the neckrolls you can't even read most of the time, and non-controversial messages in the endzones. It still dominates ratings in this country for all of TV.
I don't think it will crash as hard and will rebound once attendance is at full capacity again.

Last edited:

CPanther95

Reaction score
Paying Dak BECAUSE he got injured is charity. If Jerry wants to do that, he should do it outside of the Cowboys organization. As Cowboys GM, Jerry should negotiate a contract based solely on Dak's value to the Cowboys moving forward.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Though I agree, do you believe he will be able to perform at the same level he was performing at before this injury? I think he will, just curious to know your opinion, mostly because this injury is serious and a lot of people are saying things amongst the lines of "he won't play the same" or "he will only be 75% of what he used to be"
I don't think we'll see a difference next year.

He might slide more - but this was really a fluke thing.

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
I am finding it hard to believe that an injury this serious isn’t going to factor in to negotiations. Ankles aren’t knees. It’s a much less mobile joint but still takes a pounding. A loss in mobility in the ankle can be devastating to a career in sports. That’s just a fact.

Now I think Dak will make a recovery and he’s obviously going to have access to the best sports medical care in the world. The odds are in his favor that he makes a full recovery but it’s not an open and shut case. Degenerative arthritis isn’t like that. It can be very unpredictable. Brandon Roy’s NBA career was destroyed in his prime almost overnight because of accelerated arthritis in his knees as a result of injuries he sustained. That, from my understanding, is what the main long term worry would be and I can’t believe it won’t be on the FO’s mind. I think he gets franchised next year. I think that’s a no brainer but as to a long term deal, Dak isn’t quite in the driver’s seat anymore. He had the FO by the short hairs. Things have changed now, maybe not by much, but they have changed.

Plus the ankle has to hold up a lot of weight. DAK's passing game was improving IMO but his strength at a QB was also running like he did in college. I don't know if he will have the confidence to run a lot any more to carry games.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
The situation isn't the same as the NBA at all. They allowed a player to have too much power in their league and doubled down on **** they didn't even understand. I imagine there's fatigue about the Lakers winning again too. The NBA also bungled relations with a huge market in China. (and them trying to weasel back there goes against their whole stance).
The NFL barely has anything like that, aside from messages on the neckrolls you can't even read most of the time, and non-controversial messages in the endzones It still dominates ratings in this country for all of TV.
I don't think it will crash as hard and will rebound once attendance is at full capacity again.

Yeah. Lol the NFL isn’t going anywhere.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nice post, OP.

One of the most overlooked factors is that the salary cap is going to drop after the season, and because of $$ losses thanks to the virus, may not start rising again for a few years. Hard to tell at the moment which direction NFL ratings will go, as well.

QB salaries may start coming back to earth. Dak may agree to Wentz or Wilson money and call it a day

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I expect Dallas will get Dak signed, it will not be the same deal that was talked about before. I think any deal will come with safe guards due to the injury. I would expect it to be more incentive oriented. Having said that I think Dallas does want Dak in the fold and I think Dak wants to be here.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Paying Dak BECAUSE he got injured is charity. If Jerry wants to do that, he should do it outside of the Cowboys organization. As Cowboys GM, Jerry should negotiate a contract based solely on Dak's value to the Cowboys moving forward.

His value hasn’t changed. I mean how much is 450yds/game worth to you?

Bigdog

Reaction score
I mentioned this when he did not sign the long term. He bet on himself which I applaud but sometimes you don’t want to look a gift horse in the mouth. Reports were that they have him a fair offer at the time that was more then Wentz/Goff’s. His agent got greedy. I like Dak but this is a business.

CPanther95

Reaction score
His value hasn’t changed. I mean how much is 450yds/game worth to you?

I'm not suggesting his value has changed at all. Only saying that people that suggest that this injury should compel Jerry to get a contract signed at any cost are clueless.

Silly

Reaction score
Dak still has the exact same amount of leverage, because it's not a career-altering injury. Literally nothing has changed.

There is no backup plan that will influence Dak's negotiations, because there is no comparable player who is going to be available.

You don't know that yet. How much strength will there be in the ankle? Dak will have to be able to run and plant his foot. He is going to need ankle strength. Will the injury heal? Will he need additional surgeries?

We just don't know yet.