Why do I keep reading Jerry better pay Dak now?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
You don't know that yet. How much strength will there be in the ankle? Dak will have to be able to run and plant his foot. He is going to need ankle strength. Will the injury heal? Will he need additional surgeries?

We just don't know yet.
We do know that, because players come back from similar injuries all the time. Hurns had a similar injury in December, and was a full-participant in practice in June.

Dak will be full go by next training camp.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You look on twitter & on the media you see players and fans that Jerry better pay Dak now.

As if its Jerry's fault Dak didn't sign a long term contract. Like the Cowboys didn't offer him a 5 year deal making north of 37 million a year & 110 + million in guarantees.

Reports are week 1 last year both sides agreed to a verbal "handshake" deal and it was Dak & his agent that backed out of that deal.

Dak & his agent bet on themselves & now it looks like they lost. I wish Dak didn't get hurt. I think that is obvious nobody wanted that but now that he did this should help out the Cowboys.

Is that fair? Yes! Absolutely its fair. And Jerry & the Cowboys should use this injury to their advantage.

Just like Dak was using the franchise tag to his advantage. Dak had no issue holding the Cowboys franchise hostage. "this is just business". How many times did we hear that.

Well now Cowboys should be in the driver's seat & they should play hardball. They should have a backup plan going into the off-season. A plan that lets Dak test the market because no team is paying Dak 40 million a year... in a year the cap shrinks. Not after this injury. By the time Dak can do football stuff, free agency will have already began. Teams will be spending cap & I cannot see teams paying out a massive contract when they do not even know the health of Dak.

My hope is Dalton plays good & wants to stay in Dallas. Doesn't mind being a backup. Dallas can get Dak on a cheap 2 or 3 year deal to prove he is healthy.

But what Dallas doesnt need to do is over pay him now because they should have zero guilt on Dak getting injured. The game Dak & his agent played can backfire and it did. And Cowboys should reep the rewards of it backfiring because if it played out Dak's way, they had all intentions of reaping those rewards.
emotions bottom line emotions.

Brax

Reaction score
Dak still has the exact same amount of leverage, because it's not a career-altering injury. Literally nothing has changed.

There is no backup plan that will influence Dak's negotiations, because there is no comparable player who is going to be available.
God what drivel, lets wait and see who is available at seasons end.

endersdragon

Reaction score
I think this situation is heading for a holdout next year. Dak won't want to play on a 1 year contract, Cowboys won't want him for longer than that, Cowboys will franchise tag him again (yes it gets more expensive but still worth if you worry about his longevity), and Dak might hold out for something better not wanting to play on a 1 year deal.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
God what drivel, lets wait and see who is available at seasons end.
We already know who will be available, or potentially. Cam, Jameis, maybe someone like Matt Stafford, and a bunch of backups.

It's not like Aaron Rodgers is all of a sudden going to be a FA.

basel90

Reaction score
You look on twitter & on the media you see players and fans that Jerry better pay Dak now.

As if its Jerry's fault Dak didn't sign a long term contract. Like the Cowboys didn't offer him a 5 year deal making north of 37 million a year & 110 + million in guarantees.

Reports are week 1 last year both sides agreed to a verbal "handshake" deal and it was Dak & his agent that backed out of that deal.

Dak & his agent bet on themselves & now it looks like they lost. I wish Dak didn't get hurt. I think that is obvious nobody wanted that but now that he did this should help out the Cowboys.

Is that fair? Yes! Absolutely its fair. And Jerry & the Cowboys should use this injury to their advantage.

Just like Dak was using the franchise tag to his advantage. Dak had no issue holding the Cowboys franchise hostage. "this is just business". How many times did we hear that.

Well now Cowboys should be in the driver's seat & they should play hardball. They should have a backup plan going into the off-season. A plan that lets Dak test the market because no team is paying Dak 40 million a year... in a year the cap shrinks. Not after this injury. By the time Dak can do football stuff, free agency will have already began. Teams will be spending cap & I cannot see teams paying out a massive contract when they do not even know the health of Dak.

My hope is Dalton plays good & wants to stay in Dallas. Doesn't mind being a backup. Dallas can get Dak on a cheap 2 or 3 year deal to prove he is healthy.

But what Dallas doesnt need to do is over pay him now because they should have zero guilt on Dak getting injured. The game Dak & his agent played can backfire and it did. And Cowboys should reep the rewards of it backfiring because if it played out Dak's way, they had all intentions of reaping those rewards.
Exactly right. The media hype and PC pressure is evident . Jerry should stand firm and evaluate once Dak comes out of this . I think if Dak still thinks he is elite , which he is not , then let him test the market for the 35-40 mil . Good luck to him . This team has much much more pressing priorities .

CPanther95

Reaction score
Exactly right. The media hype and PC pressure is evident . Jerry should stand firm and evaluate once Dak comes out of this . I think if Dak still thinks he is elite , which he is not , then let him test the market for the 35-40 mil . Good luck to him . This team has much much more pressing priorities .

At a minimum, you wait until the last possible moment before you make your best and final offer to make sure you have as educated an opinion as possible.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
his asking price might not change. What Dallas offers better
Why would the Dallas offer come down?

If anything, it will come down to be on par with Watson, instead of ahead of it.

SSoup

Reaction score
It's just a backlash against the monstrous types (like the ones littering our trashbag of a fanbase) who are giddy to see a guy like Dak got hurt as if it was karmic punishment for being too uppity to know his place and take what he was offered instead of negotiating and using his leverage as is labor's right to do.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Imagine having something like this at QB..

There would be no arguments.

The Chargers get him for 5 years on a rookie deal..

I would not play this Dak game.. QBs are easier then ever to find. Stop settling for mediocre and paying mediocre elite QB money.

Dak is not mediocre. Only your thought process is.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Jerry's reputation will take a severe plunge if he doesn't pay Dak. I've already come across multiple fans that have already said they will be done with Jerry and possibly the Cowboys if he screws this up. Past players, current players, players across the league, fans across the league, and possibly owners will be digusted and disappointed in Jerry if he screws this up.

Jerry and Stephen has already stated nothing has changed on their view of him and him staying here in Dallas, but just in case it's all talk, I hope they know their reputation is still at stake.

Although Dak is injured for the time being, not much leverage has been lost.

and all that talk will fade over time. Seeing Dak leave on the cart in tears and people get emotional.

6 months from now and people wont care. and for every fan upset there would be a fan upset just paying Dak with this injury.

I mean if Dallas just caves its basically saying that every player should just do what Dak did because he isnt betting on himself if its a win/win no matter what happens.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Due to the injury, Dak will settle for something in the low 30s mil / year contract. Dallas will sign him because there is no better option.

Of course, this all depends if Dak makes a full recovery, which doctor presume he should due to a surgery that went very well with no ligament, structure or venous damage whatsoever.

BigD_95

Reaction score
We already know who will be available, or potentially. Cam, Jameis, maybe someone like Matt Stafford, and a bunch of backups.

It's not like Aaron Rodgers is all of a sudden going to be a FA.

Dalton is available or a rookie QB depending how Cowboys finish this season. They could even trade up in the draft.

Zman5

Reaction score
Imagine having something like this at QB..

There would be no arguments.

The Chargers get him for 5 years on a rookie deal..

I would not play this Dak game.. QBs are easier then ever to find. Stop settling for mediocre and paying mediocre elite QB money.

People were saying the same thing about Dak in his rookie year. I even saw Eagirls and The Football Team fans being pissed saying "Looks like they got their franchise QB for the next decade" during that year.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't believe Dak and his agent ever intended to sign a long term deal in 2020 or 2021 anyway. I bet they wanted another franchise tag because in 2021 because then, in 2022, Dak has all the leverage. He becomes a free agent and signs with whoever he chooses and he would get the most valuable contract he could get.

My guess is that Dak's agent influenced Dak's decision not to sign this year. It was a gamble and actually not a bad one. Dak is not an injury prone QB. He played 69 games without an injury and this was a freak injury. But it is what it is and now Dak has to contend with the consequences of the injury.

I do think this injury changes things for Dak. I think he will think twice now about playing under the franchise tag again because a second injury really does have the potential to alter his value. One injury can be overlooked.Two, in consecutive years, might make a few owners wary of signing Dak to a long term deal for $40 million a year or more.

But I do agree with you. Dak signed the franchise deal on his own. No one forced him to sign it and if he wanted a long term deal he could have negotiated in good faith and I think the Cowboys would have given him a deal. All this talk about franchise tags being bad is nonsense. The franchise tag is there to ensure some continuity in the league and a mean of preventing free agency from turning into a free for all that kills the sport.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Bingo. The NFL and NBA are about to find out that there "actions" they have taken outside of sports will have long standing ramifications. The ratings have and will stay down.

What they didn't understand is that the people that they chose to alienate and vilify are the people that bring that hard cash to their arenas and to their sponsors.

They let the media and their players decide these things.
I don't its just their "actions" because sports are down period and every sport didn't lean into those same "actions".

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
I will say that Dak has lost some leverage, and cowboys should not be in a hurry to resign him until he is fully healed.
Dak is a running qb and that is part of his game. He loses that, not sure what we then have.
As far as owing Dak, but sorry we owe him absolutely NOTHING. sounds harsh, but like Dak and his people said, is only business. He took the risk....