Why do In and Out Fries Suck so Bad?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I live across the street from an In and Out. I eat there maybe twice a month. I normally don't get the fries. Just a double cheeseburger and a milkshake. But today, I got the fries, which I always tell myself not to get. But today, for some reason, I just ordered the fries only to get home and remember why.

I'm not even all the crazy about their burgers. But they are good in a pinch when I'm busy and no time to cook or go anywhere else.

I ate a couple of fries from my order and threw them out.

Does In and Out just not care? Why are their fries so freaking awful?

quickccc

Reaction score
Believe it or not .. Whataburger is THE worst tasting fries among the popular name drive thru food chain... :confused:

In and Out is so overrated til it's not funny.
Oddly they used to cook their fries with the skin hug on them, but apparently that was a major turnoff with
customers, so it was microwave tasting fries..... just like the rest of their menu.
........ :facepalm:

quickccc

Reaction score
0d1302db1d37c4aec0123b467c7c19bc.jpg

e6ebe4e78ed20f69776ca39cfa16a221.jpg

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Believe it or not .. Whataburger is THE worst tasting fries among the popular name drive thru food chain... :confused:

Oddly they used to cook their fries with the skin hug on them, but apparently that was a major turnoff with
customers, so it was microwave tasting fries..... just like the rest of their menu.

You're pretty much right.

I can eat their burger, but it's not nearly as good as people claim.

I personally like Whataburger's fries.

I was just looking on google, and apparently In and Out claims their fries taste like cardboard because they only use potatoes and oil.

Well, I do the same thing and home and they still don't taste nearly as bad.

For this reason, I'm going to stop spending my money at In and Out. They're well aware nobody likes their fries, yet they keep doing it. I can only conclude the reason they taste so bad is because people still buy them and they make more money on them than they would if they tasted even just OK.

Dallas_Cowboys50

Reaction score
It's all about perspective....As a native Texan living in Morgantown, WV I miss Whataburger so much, and Ive never had the pleasure of trying In and Out (moved before Denton got one), never been to Cali etc. The only choices for burger chains here are Mcd's, BK, Wendy's, Five Guys, Sonic and DQ. I even miss Jack in the box lol......the worst part though is only having Taco Bell...no Taco Bueno, Taco Casa, Del Taco.

But anyway, I like Whataburgers fries, the spicy ketchup definitely helps lol. If I ever get to try In and out, Im sure itll be one of those situations where its been so hyped and unobtainable that itll be a letdown, but that wont stop me from tryin it all the same!

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
"In and Out", never heard of them. When it comes to fries, there isn't a fast food restaurant that I know of who's fries are better than McDonald's. My gosh they're delicious!

Ditto. I don't even like McDonalds but their fries are the best. Freddy's are pretty good too. I'm pretty much burned out on all things Whataburger right now. We've got 3 in my town and all 3 are extremely inconsistent. I do love their spicy ketchup though.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
McDonalds fries are the best when they are fresh, hot and crispy. Nobody elses come close. But then they have been sitting for a while and are cold, then they are the worse. I always order them fresh but sometimes when in a hurry I don't and maybe 50% of the time they are not edible. Some Mcdonald worker recently got shot (maybe killed dont remember) because they got cold fries. I get upset with cold fries but come on people. Just get your money back.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
They're alright, but I prefer Popeyes' Cajun fries.

that is funny, I have been going to Popeyes since the 80s and have never gotten their fries. I always got the cajun rice or red bean and rice. They stopped selling their cajun rice a couple of years ago and I stopped going. The recently brought it back for the anniversary celebration. I hope they keep it.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You have to ask for well-done every single time. Otherwise…..they aren’t that good.
If you have to go to a restaurant and ask them to cook their food differently than they normally offer......

........then there's something wrong with the restaurant and they don't deserve your money.

quickccc

Reaction score
"In and Out", never heard of them. When it comes to fries, there isn't a fast food restaurant that I know of who's fries are better than McDonald's. My gosh they're delicious!

and i thought McDonald's had a copy right infringement protection for their French Fries recipe. So no one should be caught mimicking their uniqueness.....
.:yourock:.

Hoofbite

Reaction score

I think In and Out is way overrated as well.

That said, I live in an area where people are fanatical about them. Literally, people from Boise will bring back burgers from SLC and freeze them so they can eat them later. I like the chain quite a bit, but it's not that good. I sent an email to their corporate office a few years back (2018 maybe) and told them that they are missing out on a market that will kill for their food. It was mostly in jest and I was on the clock so why not get paid to goof around? They replied and said they are always looking to expand their market, yadda yadda, but there were no plans to come to my area.

Couple months ago, it was announced they are opening a location here. I guarantee the waiting line on opening day is going to be just about forever. I feel bad for the workers who will be working that day. They won't be able to keep up and if anything is just slightly off, they're going to receive hell. The location is horrible in terms of traffic and it's going to be a nightmare to drive by that place for a few weeks after it opens. They're going to kill it, but for people that don't want In and Out it's going to suck.

I guess that's my contribution to the world. I emailed In and Out and they eventually brought a location to Idaho.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
But anyway, I like Whataburgers fries, the spicy ketchup definitely helps lol.

This 100% - the fries without the spicy ketchup, nothing great, but I don't go there for the fries. I go there for the #1 w/ Cheese, grilled jalapeños, grilled onions and a toasted bun...the perfect combination. I typically don't finish to fries....

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
Lived in LA for 25 years. If the line isn’t long, I wouldn’t mind an in and out. Yes, I never liked the fries but I ate them because it’s there.

However, there are so many mom and pops burger stands that are 10 times better in LA.