Why do In and Out Fries Suck so Bad?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I live across the street from an In and Out. I eat there maybe twice a month. I normally don't get the fries. Just a double cheeseburger and a milkshake. But today, I got the fries, which I always tell myself not to get. But today, for some reason, I just ordered the fries only to get home and remember why.

I'm not even all the crazy about their burgers. But they are good in a pinch when I'm busy and no time to cook or go anywhere else.

I ate a couple of fries from my order and threw them out.

Does In and Out just not care? Why are their fries so freaking awful?

I'd bet you anything that they just make a bunch of fries and then let them sit forever under a heat lamp.

Creeper

Reaction score
We don't have In and Out where I live. I had heard about them so many times I wanted to try it when I was visiting my son in CA. My first visit the lines and wait were ridiculous so I skipped it. The 2nd time we found a place with a long drive thru line but it was moving so my wife and I sat through the wait and ordered burgers and fries. What a disappointment. I expected something completely different. My wife loved the shake, but I thought the fried and burgers was just average. I have no idea why anyone would wait so long when they can get a better burger and fires and many fast food restaurants.

Out here in New Jersey we have Five Guys and Shake Shack. Both are way better than In and Out. The only problem with 5 guys is their fries orders are so large. I can't stop eating them and feel like death afterwards. But I would rather eat Chik-fil-A or Wendy's honestly.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
We don't have In and Out where I live. I had heard about them so many times I wanted to try it when I was visiting my son in CA. My first visit the lines and wait were ridiculous so I skipped it. The 2nd time we found a place with a long drive thru line but it was moving so my wife and I sat through the wait and ordered burgers and fries. What a disappointment. I expected something completely different. My wife loved the shake, but I thought the fried and burgers was just average. I have no idea why anyone would wait so long when they can get a better burger and fires and many fast food restaurants.

Out here in New Jersey we have Five Guys and Shake Shack. Both are way better than In and Out. The only problem with 5 guys is their fries orders are so large. I can't stop eating them and feel like death afterwards. But I would rather eat Chik-fil-A or Wendy's honestly.
Wendy's fries are good and they are now guaranteed fresh and hot

SlammedZero

Reaction score
You have to ask for well-done every single time. Otherwise…..they aren’t that good.
Yup, I learned this as well and how I prefer them.

When it comes to fries, there isn't a fast food restaurant that I know of who's fries are better than McDonald's. My gosh they're delicious!
Funny, I had this conversation not too long ago with somebody. I 100% agree. McD's fries are just amazing when they're fresh.

I think In and Out is way overrated as well.

That said, I live in an area where people are fanatical about them. Literally, people from Boise will bring back burgers from SLC and freeze them so they can eat them later. I like the chain quite a bit, but it's not that good. I sent an email to their corporate office a few years back (2018 maybe) and told them that they are missing out on a market that will kill for their food. It was mostly in jest and I was on the clock so why not get paid to goof around? They replied and said they are always looking to expand their market, yadda yadda, but there were no plans to come to my area.

Couple months ago, it was announced they are opening a location here. I guarantee the waiting line on opening day is going to be just about forever. I feel bad for the workers who will be working that day. They won't be able to keep up and if anything is just slightly off, they're going to receive hell. The location is horrible in terms of traffic and it's going to be a nightmare to drive by that place for a few weeks after it opens. They're going to kill it, but for people that don't want In and Out it's going to suck.

I guess that's my contribution to the world. I emailed In and Out and they eventually brought a location to Idaho.
So far I've heard/read they have 2 locations they purchased here. The Village in Meridian and then at the Boise Town Square. It's going to be bananas. I remember when Krispy Kreme opened up here. lol

The rumor I am more excited about is Raising Cane's. Apparently they've announced they want to open up in the Boise area by 2024.

Culvers is the newest thing here in Florida and I like them. They are popping up every where with one being built less than a mile from me. Sonic Drink with their ice, then Mcdonalds across the street for fries made fresh, and then across another street for a Culvers Burger. Then back home. Merica! Ain't it great?

We got a Culver's in Boise a few years ago. I absolutely love them. Food is always great there. Helps I'm a huge fan of crinkle cut fries. lol Not to mention they're concrete mixers and frozen custard ice cream treats are really good.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
So far I've heard/read they have 2 locations they purchased here. The Village in Meridian and then at the Boise Town Square. It's going to be bananas. I remember when Krispy Kreme opened up here. lol

The rumor I am more excited about is Raising Cane's. Apparently they've announced they want to open up in the Boise area by 2024.

I haven't gone to Towne Square in many, many years. I keep wondering when it's going to die off, but the parking lots are always pretty full.

The location that is going to be a nightmare is The Village. That intersection is already a nightmare.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Culvers is the newest thing here in Florida and I like them. They are popping up every where with one being built less than a mile from me. Sonic Drink with their ice, then Mcdonalds across the street for fries made fresh, and then across another street for a Culvers Burger. Then back home. Merica! Ain't it great?

I pity all these “In and Out vs Whatburger” YouTubers who admit they’ve never had Culver’s. They’re just competing to see who gets second place.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
wendys fries are the best to me, and I like the inside pump ketchup.
All fries need to be freshly cooked to be good,and you have to eat them while they are hot.
Try order a burger, but not fries, eat the burger etc, then get the fries and eat them while hot.

Whataburger fries are ok hot, but as soon as they cool, not too good.

All these chains use the cheapest fries they can , and the in and out, may be serving pre cooked fries, that they heat up in microwave ?

Wendys, have the best fries, and they are still ok after they cool. I sometime go there just to get some fries. dont really care for their burgers.
Whataburger is the best, but it varys from store to store and just who they have making them.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yup, I learned this as well and how I prefer them.

Funny, I had this conversation not too long ago with somebody. I 100% agree. McD's fries are just amazing when they're fresh.

We got a Culver's in Boise a few years ago. I absolutely love them. Food is always great there. Helps I'm a huge fan of crinkle cut fries. lol Not to mention they're concrete mixers and frozen custard ice cream treats are really good.
How appropriate you bring the birthplace of the frozen French fry into this.

JR Simplot developed the frozen fry and changed the ff industry forever. The story is he and Ray Kroc had a handshake agreement that he would provide McD's with all of their product until he could no longer meet their demand and there was better money to be made in retail and he became the largest food exporter to Japan.

When we moved to Boise, I thought we'd get great russets but we had to end up buying Washington potatoes because the best Idaho ones were being exported. Or you could buy them wrapped in gold foil from the tourist retailers. :muttley:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The secret to McD's fries was the beef tallow they used to fry them in. A man who had suffered a heart attack accused McD's of being the culprit and exposed that they were using beef tallow without telling anyone. This guy bought full page ads in every major newspaper as well as USA Today after filing his suit.

I thought this was as crazy as the old lady suing them for her spilling coffee in her own lap but his point was they should have been upfront that they were using a beef product to fry vegetables. They agreed to change to vegetable oil, which was more expensive, and their fries were never as good as when they used beef tallow.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

JR Simplot developed the frozen fry and changed the ff industry forever. The story is he and Ray Kroc had a handshake agreement that he would provide McD's with all of their product until he could no longer meet their demand and there was better money to be made in retail and he became the largest food exporter to Japan.

When we moved to Boise, I thought we'd get great russets but we had to end up buying Washington potatoes because the best Idaho ones were being exported. Or you could buy them wrapped in gold foil from the tourist retailers. :muttley:
I've heard the most Idaho brand potatoes are grown in Montana...maybe Colorado. I wasn't really paying attention, but the guy who told me once lived in Montana, so I'm leaning toward that.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The secret to McD's fries was the beef tallow they used to fry them in. A man who had suffered a heart attack accused McD's of being the culprit and exposed that they were using beef tallow without telling anyone. This guy bought full page ads in every major newspaper as well as USA Today after filing his suit.

I thought this was as crazy as the old lady suing them for her spilling coffee in her own lap but his point was they should have been upfront that they were using a beef product to fry vegetables. They agreed to change to vegetable oil, which was more expensive, and their fries were never as good as when they used beef tallow.
That's about when I stopped eating McNasty's.

SlammedZero

Reaction score

It's funny because it's true. People think we have the first pick of potatoes here, but as you mentioned, the good ones get exported. Not saying you can't find great potatoes here, but you would have to go on a mission. They're not just sitting in the local grocery store.

I've heard the most Idaho brand potatoes are grown in Montana...maybe Colorado. I wasn't really paying attention, but the guy who told me once lived in Montana, so I'm leaning toward that.

The tourist stereotyping was always funny to me. People would come here and always ask "where are all the potato fields?" as if they're marked with tourist signs and the only thing in Idaho. lol A good majority of them are grown on the eastern side of the state, opposite side from Boise. Boise, however, does have a strong presence of the Simplot company. From their world HQ to manufacturing plants in some of the outskirt suburbs.

HungryLion

Reaction score

Five Guys is great. Their fries are awesome. Peanut oil is superior.

Plus they always have the malt vinegar to put on the fries.

But yeah the orders are huge. Heart attack waiting to happen.

rynochop

Reaction score
Had five guys Sunday night, fries were disappointing..as my usual complaint with fries, just not cooked long enough. Soft, limp. Burger was great though.
I've gotten to where I buy cheap frozen Walmart fries and cook 10 minutes longer than what it says and put Tony cacheries on them