Why do In and Out Fries Suck so Bad?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Might be that location. I've never had a problem.
I've discovered that the supposedly positive of consistency with chains, including fast food, does not exist.

I've eaten at least 20 different Whataburgers and the one where I live is the worst. There is also a dire need for employees in this area and it shows in the inconsistency of the preparation of the food.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I've discovered that the supposedly positive of consistency with chains, including fast food, does not exist.

I've eaten at least 20 different Whataburgers and the one where I live is the worst. There is also a dire need for employees in this area and it shows in the inconsistency of the preparation of the food.
I imagine the managers have a lot to do with how the employees do their jobs. Some places I go to have workers who very clearly wish they were doing anything but being in that place at that time.

The cashier takes your order with as little expression on their face possible, and as few words as well. Their name tags should all read "Ennui".

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I imagine folks hate on In-and-Out because they’re just used to the taste of eating typical fast food flash frozen crap that’s been stored for who knows how long and default to thinking that’s what “real fries” are.

In-and-Out cuts their fresh spuds on the spot and cooks them fresh each day.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The secret to McD's fries was the beef tallow they used to fry them in. A man who had suffered a heart attack accused McD's of being the culprit and exposed that they were using beef tallow without telling anyone. This guy bought full page ads in every major newspaper as well as USA Today after filing his suit.

I thought this was as crazy as the old lady suing them for her spilling coffee in her own lap but his point was they should have been upfront that they were using a beef product to fry vegetables. They agreed to change to vegetable oil, which was more expensive, and their fries were never as good as when they used beef tallow.

The lady who was burned by the coffee is one of my heroes. Do you know how much ridicule she endured, and how badly burned she actually was? Google "Stella Liebeck burns" and you'll see she deserved every penny she got.

I imagine folks hate on In-and-Out because they’re just used to the taste of eating typical fast food flash frozen crap that’s been stored for who knows how long and default to thinking that’s what “real fries” are.

In-and-Out cuts their fresh spuds on the spot and cooks them fresh each day.

Funny you say this, because there's a reason In and Out doesn't list their ingredients.. you have to dig a little. I guess you like the taste of GMO cottonseed oil? You should prolly read up some.. if you think In and Out serves any semblance of "real fries."

Mmm Fresh!

LINK: Dissecting In-N-Out Burger (Gross or Healthy? You decide!) (foodbabe.com)

dsturgeon

Reaction score
The lady who was burned by the coffee is one of my heroes. Do you know how much ridicule she endured, and how badly burned she actually was? Google "Stella Liebeck burns" and you'll see she deserved every penny she got.

Funny you say this, because there's a reason In and Out doesn't list their ingredients.. you have to dig a little. I guess you like the taste of GMO cottonseed oil? You should prolly read up some.. if you think In and Out serves any semblance of "real fries."

Mmm Fresh!

to go with the gmo wheat buns soaked in glyphosate, their cows fattened with gmo corn and soy, and the high fructose corn syrup drinks and flavored food

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Mmm Fresh!

And you should probably read up on “Food Babe” and her fear mongering enterprise before thinking you’ve discovered something profound.

In-andOut also switched to 100% sunflower oil and starting sourcing beef suppliers that don’t use antibiotics years ago so your faux outrage after reading the the fake food scientist’s article is comical.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...as-activist-s-profile-grows-so-do-her-critics

https://www.mashed.com/134058/things-food-babe-doesnt-want-you-to-know/

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...based-approach-food-babes-misinformation/amp/

Beyond that, if you think In-and-Out is bad in terms of ingredients and standards then your mind must be blown from the Whataburgers and Carl’s Jr.’s Of the world, lulz.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
And you should probably read up on “Food Babe” and her fear mongering enterprise before thinking you’ve discovered something profound.

In-andOut also switched to 100% sunflower oil and starting sourcing beef suppliers that don’t use antibiotics years ago so your faux outrage after reading the the fake food scientist’s article is comical.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...as-activist-s-profile-grows-so-do-her-critics

https://www.mashed.com/134058/things-food-babe-doesnt-want-you-to-know/

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...based-approach-food-babes-misinformation/amp/

Beyond that, if you think In-and-Out is bad in terms of ingredients and standards then your mind must be blown from the Whataburgers and Carl’s Jr.’s Of the world, lulz.

No bro. But I just found your snide response hilarious, especially the fresh spuds cooked fresh on the spot, everyday part. That's all.

The info is correct, several sources mention the [fresh] ingredients.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
No bro. But I just found your snide response hilarious, especially the fresh spuds cooked fresh on the spot, everyday part. That's all.

The info is correct, several sources mention the [fresh] ingredients.

Yeah, I know, my info is correct. They slice potatoes and cook them fresh every day. Are you disputing that?

They've been cooking with sunflower oil for years so to insinuate they are still cooking with cottonseed oil (which is what you were doing) is just as disingenuously misinformed as saying Coca Cola still uses cocaine as an ingredient.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Yeah, I know, my info is correct. They slice potatoes and cook them fresh every day. Are you disputing that?

They've been cooking with sunflower oil for years so to insinuate they are still cooking with cottonseed oil (which is what you were doing) is just as disingenuously misinformed as saying Coca Cola still uses cocaine as an ingredient.

foods cooked in seed oils are bad for you.

avacado, olive, cocunut oil are good

Last edited:

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I wouldn't care for a coconut oil french fry.

I would imagine it is too expensive to use the good oils in fast food places and restaurants. The good oils cost more to make. Everything fried is made in oils that are bad for you. I am sure there is a billion dollar marketing agenda to promote the bad oils. It is big business.

You can look in most foods, and they all use seed oils. Chips are bad too. I found some potato chips called boulder that are cooked in avacado and olive oil, and they are good. I still can not find tortilla chips that are cooked in good oil.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I would imagine it is too expensive to use the good oils in fast food places and restaurants. The good oils cost more to make. Everything fried is made in oils that are bad for you. I am sure there is a billion dollar marketing agenda to promote the bad oils. It is big business.

You can look in most foods, and they all use seed oils. Chips are bad too. I found some potato chips called boulder that are cooked in avacado and olive oil, and they are good. I still can not find tortilla chips that are cooked in good oil.

I don't think anyone is under the impression that anything fried is good for you. It's just one of those things people accept because they like it.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
I live across the street from an In and Out. I eat there maybe twice a month. I normally don't get the fries. Just a double cheeseburger and a milkshake. But today, I got the fries, which I always tell myself not to get. But today, for some reason, I just ordered the fries only to get home and remember why.

I'm not even all the crazy about their burgers. But they are good in a pinch when I'm busy and no time to cook or go anywhere else.

I ate a couple of fries from my order and threw them out.

Does In and Out just not care? Why are their fries so freaking awful?

Because 5 Guys sucked the fry soul out of all other fry offerings except Chik-Fil-A Waffle fries...