Why do tankers think drafting high means anything?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Oh yeah. And being happy with mediocrity means what in life?

If we aren’t impressed by the cowboys beating the bengals it means we are losers in life huh?

I havent seen anybody in this forum ever say theyre happy with what this team has done since the last super bowl. Not one person. But me personally i think its stupid for fans to want their team to tank games. Why even watch or root?

But i do remember 2007, 2009, 2014, and 2016 where this team were legit super bowl contenders. And i seen 2014 and 2016 where refs decided them playoff losses with bad judgement.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would agree that tanking is a bad strategy on so many levels, however, even a fan can pick with some level of success in the top ten of a draft.

Oh really? What fan picks and is held accountable?

Idiots everywhere ...sheesh!

HungryLion

Reaction score
I havent seen anybody in this forum ever say theyre happy with what this team has done since the last super bowl. Not one person. But me personally i think its stupid for fans to want their team to tank games. Why even watch or root?

I mean. I can watch a game and hope
The young players play well and continue to improve.

I never expect the players or coaches to
Not try and win.

But I don’t think saying “we are better off
Losing” makes somebody a loser in life. I mean come on

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I mean. I can watch a game and hope
The young players play well and continue to improve.

I never expect the players or coaches to
Not try and win

Thats all you can do. Be a fan cheer and hope it all comes out on the cowboys side. But to watch a game hoping they lose, i just dont get it.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

EXACTLY!

We all been beeching and moaning and whining and crying for 25 years about how EVWERYTHING to the CORE sucks.....but BY GOD let's tank so we can get that pick..THIS YEAR!.... that will finally save us all and win the super bowl.

It's unbelievable but...all right there for you to see. Idiots everywhere.

John813

Reaction score
Didn't we just see the "benefit" of "tanking" this past year?

We took CDL before the Eagles could. They of course too whiffed on passing on Jefferson. But it was all the rage last year losing as a blessing in disguise to the Eagles as we were able to get CDL at 17th.

So, if the team loses more games this year, it increases our chances at getting a better player.
Could you imagine if they lost one more game in 2013 and was able to tank Aaron Donald before the Rams?
He was one of our original options going into the draft.

Flamma

Reaction score

But i do remember 2007, 2009, 2014, and 2016 where this team were legit super bowl contenders. And i seen 2014 and 2016 where refs decided them playoff losses with bad judgement.

I loved that 2007 team. One of my favorite Cowboys team to watch. But I'll say one thing. I was not confident we'd beat the Patriots had they made it that far.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Its funny that all these clowns begging for tanking are the same ones saying this team isnt accountable, makes zero sense. Loser mentality usually means loser in life.
LOL OK - I know when losing benefits me. You don’t.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. The team isn't tanking.

FiveSuperBowls

Reaction score
tanking rarely works.

mahomes and brady are some of the best qbs since 2000 and they weren't chosen first in the draft.
Troy was drafted first, Boys won 3 Super Bowl’s, pre-2000.

The best organizations don’t need to draft high, yes. Aweful organizations (Browns, Jets) doesn’t matter , yes.

.500 organizations (Boys), no, it’s very important to draft high.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
The extreme ignorance demonstrated in this OP is astounding. It's right up there with not being able to read or do basic math.

Draft position matters. Doing something with it is another matter.
God bless you brother Joe.... great post

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Because these are the players the Cowboys have drafted in this century when they've had a Top-12 pick:

2002 - #8 Roy Williams (a few GREAT seasons at safety when he was playing with Woodson)
2003 - #5 Terence Newman (very good CB. Elite during the first 4 years of his career)
2005 - #11 DeMarcus Ware (future HOF)
2011 - #9 Tyron Smith (elite LT/maybe future HOF)
2012 - #6 Morris Claiborne (bust) - via trading up
2016 - #4 Ezekiel Elliott (one of the best RB of his era. Also could have gone with Jalen Ramsey, elite CB)

That's a pretty good track record overall. If we can use this pick to get another future All-Pro caliber player on D, that's how you begin to rebuild it.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Why do Cowboy fans on this board think trading down is better than staying at your high pick?

But more to the point. How many other championship quarterbacks were selected out of the first two rounds versus the last four rounds? Your citing Mahomes and Brady leaves a great dal out of this discussion.

I certainly cannot speak to the mental intent of the Landry last year, per coaches and or management. But if we see that as a tanking year, since there were some of us fans who were more in favor of not winning for the 1st over-all, than winning a meaningless game or two, I'd say Troy Aikman kind of makes your point no point at all.

Plus, in that draft, since it is more than just one player, Dallas took Steve Wisniewski (guard) in the second, who played 13 years for the Raiders. In return they received compensation which brought Dallas Daryl Johnston and Rhondy Weston. Weston had a poor showing in training camp and was cut and picked up by Tampa Bay.

That draft also produced for Dallas Mark Stepnoski and Tony Tolbert.

Since draft slotting for a team is in all rounds of that draft and not just the first Dallas received:

Troy Aikman
Daryl Johnston
Mark Stepnoski
Tony Tolbert

So it is more than just the first pick you are tanking for.
Yeah, I love how sanctimonious these anti-tankers are. Go balls out in a battle you have no shot at winning and get all your guys killed so you lose the battle AND the war. Smart.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
tanking rarely works.

mahomes and brady are some of the best qbs since 2000 and they weren't chosen first in the draft.
But possibly the best athletes are high draft picks?

No. Lets go on picking mid round, that's worked wonders for us the last quarter century.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Beings life long fan of this team, it’s hard for me to fathom sitting on my couch watching them play and rooting for them to lose. If you are a tanker, that is what you’re doing. It’s that simple for me.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Because these are the players the Cowboys have drafted in this century when they've had a Top-12 pick:

2002 - #8 Roy Williams (a few GREAT seasons at safety when he was playing with Woodson)
2003 - #5 Terence Newman (very good CB. Elite during the first 4 years of his career)
2005 - #11 DeMarcus Ware (future HOF)
2011 - #9 Tyron Smith (elite LT/maybe future HOF)
2012 - #6 Morris Claiborne (bust) - via trading up
2016 - #4 Ezekiel Elliott (one of the best RB of his era. Also could have gone with Jalen Ramsey, elite CB)

That's a pretty good track record overall. If we can use this pick to get another future All-Pro caliber player on D, that's how you begin to rebuild it.

Key point is that the likelihood is even if we lose out chances are we won't draft higher than 4th and probably no worse than about 6th even without tanking. SO we are gonna get a chance at getting a really good player. As for tanking, what is the recommendation. Are you people suggesting to actually try to lose? In reality, we are already playing a team full of backups. On offense we have LT, RG, RT, TE and QB out. On defense, our secondary is guys we are pulling off the street. Our DT's are bottom of the roster level. I mean we could go ahead and sit Dalton, Zeke, Cooper, Gallup and Lamb. Take out Tank and Gregory and LVE....but I doubt it would make that much of a difference. Of course that means you are sacrificing those guys chances of making performance bonuses. You are not giving the young guys a chance to develop with better players around them..you are kind of just throwing them to the wolves. Not sure how tanking really is a positive in any way.

As for the draft....we have huge needs on OL, DT, LB, CB and S. We shouldn't have any difficulty picking up the best player at one of these positions. Now let's look at some of the later picks and see how they have worked out.

2020 - #17 - Lamb, looks like a special player
2018 - #19 - Vander Esch, sometimes looks special, but injuries make this a ?
2015 - #27 - Byron Jones, Pro Bowl level corner, we let him walk. Should we have paid him instead of Jaylon, Zeke or even Cooper?
2014 - #14 - Zack Martin, perennial Pro Bowler, likely Hall of Fame candidate
2013 - #31 - Travis Frederick, perennial Pro Bowler was the best C in football before GBS
2010 - #24 - Dez Bryant, was among the best WRs in football for a 5-6 year span

So...you still can get really good players even if drafting further down in the draft. We have done it in a lot of our most recent drafts.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
But possibly the best athletes are high draft picks?

No. Lets go on picking mid round, that's worked wonders for us the last quarter century.

Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, Tony Romo, and a host of other non top 5 picks disagree with you. This team's biggest issue hasn't been the draft. It's been free agency and resigning many of the wrong guys. Hell, we have kept Crawford here for multiple years on a horrible contract...if we had cut him when we should have, we might have been able to keep a guy like Byron Jones, or Cole Beasley, or Anthony Hitchens, a few of the guys that have been recently rued on this page.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Ultimately, we need a coach that comes in here and calls the shots...and the GM and the personnel department answer to him. A team like Pittsburgh....they constantly keep replacing guys with guys that fit their scheme and organization so much better than we do. And that is just one team, there are a dozen others in that same mold. We are the only ones where the coach is probably the least important member of the talent acquisition group.