Why do tankers think drafting high means anything?

Sydla

Reaction score
tanking rarely works.

mahomes and brady are some of the best qbs since 2000 and they weren't chosen first in the draft.

There is also the perceived value of the pick, especially if there could be 4 QBs taken in the Top 10. If I am entertaining the thought of moving my #1 for multiple picks, I'd rather be picking 4-5th than 11th-12th.

And FWIW, I don't advocate "tanking" where you play DiNucci. But the reality is winning a game like yesterday probably hurts more than it helps long term (well that's not even true because we got a ton of help from LAC and Philly winning games they shouldn't have won - so our draft slot didn't fall).

McKDaddy

Reaction score
tanking rarely works.

mahomes and brady are some of the best qbs since 2000 and they weren't chosen first in the draft.

if you don't believe in the FO, isn't giving them the best ammunition you can give them all you can do? you can't make the decision for them but gosh you hope it they can at least luck into a few good picks.

75boyz

Reaction score
I just discussed this with Dre11 in another thread. I say that these same Joneses have ultimate final say in choice selection and this fact is unavoidable.
And with that being said wouldn't you rather have the opportunity of the higher ranked player being available no matter if not chosen?

It's a 50-50 shot that they make the right choice when their draft slot is called and that player is still available. The higher the draft slot, the higher the probability that at least the higher ranked player is available.

Now whether the Jones Dynamic Duo chooses the right player is another issue but the higher slot at least offers that chance that they choose correctly.

The lower the draft slot lessens the availability of higher ranked choices.

Again as I said to Dre 11, unless you are the type that believes the draft selection slots do not matter where you pick. Then I would agree to disagree but no worries.

Go Cowboys

Dre11

Reaction score
Ok, fair point.

On the flip side, what does beating a 2-9-1 team do for the franchise?

winning does a lot, regardless of opponent. to build a winning culture you have to win,it cures a lot of other team issues as well.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The extreme ignorance demonstrated in this OP is astounding. It's right up there with not being able to read or do basic math.

Draft position matters. Doing something with it is another matter.
If you admit draft position matters, why insinuate it's extreme ignorance for fans to want a higher draft pick? I believe the Cowboys need several playmakers who can contribute immediately. The lower the draft pick, the more difficult it is to get instant starters, usually. And let's not forget a top five pick is a top five pick in every round.

Big_D

Reaction score
I do know winning meaningless games hasn’t helped this team one bit. Garrett was at his best in those crap wins and they ultimately amounted to nothing!! Funny.. people will talk about the lack of talent when it comes to the yearly disappointment that is the Dallas Cowboys, but will pass on every opportunity to improve. Sitting at 15 when they could be in the top 5. etc! There’s a huge difference. Specially if you can take advantage of it. This team is flat out moronic. No real secret there, and the ‘win one for the gipper’ mentality is a big reason why. Now think how good they could’ve been over the past decade if they were smart enough to follow this rule! The current state of the roster is pretty pathetic!

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If you admit draft position matters, why insinuate it's extreme ignorance for fans to want a higher draft pick? I believe the Cowboys need several playmakers who can contribute immediately. The lower the draft pick, the more difficult it is to get instant starters, usually. And let's not forget a top five pick is a top five pick in every round.
Where did I insinuate it's ignorant of fans to want a higher draft pick? I want the highest draft pick possible.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The extreme ignorance demonstrated in this OP is astounding. It's right up there with not being able to read or do basic math.

Draft position matters. Doing something with it is another matter.

Really is amazing how dumb some of these posters can be. If we get a top 5 pick, everything will work perfectly. Worked great for the GS Warriors this year when they get a great young center to jump start their minor rebuild.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
...the idea is, I guess the better players are at top. Sometimes it proves itself, sometimes not.
This is true.

Ultimately, what having a higher draft position gets a team is more options to choose from, and a minimized risk of a player the team wants being taken before their turn comes. No player is guaranteed though.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The problem with "tanking" is while the Cowboys are a 4-9 team in the standings; they shouldn't be one based on the talent they have.

That's why when they face a team that truly does suck- like the Bengals yesterday- Dallas won convincingly. It's safe to say the 30-7 victory illustrates the fact Dallas is much more talented (even with their injury woes) than the league's real bottom feeders.

kevm3

Reaction score
Drafting high means a better change at getting your guy and it means you can parlay those high picks into more picks via trades

Prossman

Reaction score
He also brought in 4 MN Viking starters mid season and chose to cut them in favor of drafts picks. So, he had better players and CHOSE to not put them on the field. I'll let you connect the dots.
I get that along with the hershel walker trade. All 5 players were jags. that werent in the plans anyways. .

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Posters are just so frustrated with how the team has been run they're thinking get a pick so high even these guys can't screw it up. But that's not true, high picks fail too.

My issue isn't players as much as the positions and I don't know if a higher pick fixes that. If they'd had the 7th pick in this last draft, do they pick Lamb because he was 6th on their board?

They could have had Ramsey at 4 and took Elliott. If they'd have been at 2, they would have taken Wentz and they wouldn't have Prescott.

Until this brain trust puts as high a value on DT's and S's as they do CB's and WR's, nothing gets fixed. They haven't taken a DT in the first round since Johnson with Russell Maryland. Was Maryland the best player in the draft, deserving of the the 1st pick? No, Jimmy picked him to fit his needs.

The fault is in the plans, the blueprint. They just don't know how to build a NFL team.