Why do tankers think drafting high means anything?

dwreck27

Reaction score
Ehh I hate to say tanking is the best because how many times did the raiders, Commanders, and browns have multiple 1st round picks and bust out

No matter where you are get the best available talent unless your back loaded already at that position (I.e QB, WR, or RB) and can hopefully trade down

remember we drafted Tyron smith at about this range... and another guy named JJ watt was around...

You never know who will be there for ya... like say CeeDee lamb last year

fivetwos

Reaction score
I loved that 2007 team. One of my favorite Cowboys team to watch. But I'll say one thing. I was not confident we'd beat the Patriots had they made it that far.
I think about that a lot and agree.

They would have beaten GB at home the next week for sure, but they didnt have what the Giants did for NE, which was to get to Brady with a 4 man rush.

I thought the 2016 team would eventually blow it as well.

I havent felt confident about this team going far into the playoffs (at the time the playoffs began) since 1995.

That pretty awful in a few ways.

kskboys

Reaction score
A higher draft position gives you more options that's not debatable. Who is picked is debatable. Tanking rarely works because tanking doesn't exist. Nfl teams and players don't tank. But a higher draft position is no doubt better than a lower draft position.
Jimmy Johnson tanked big time.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
You don’t get it! Do you think your on the team?
Your a fan! Losing meaningless games this year, gives us the opportunity to draft better players EVERY round this coming draft.

Lol ur saying this to me, but ur the type of person that says "us" when referencing the team. ha!

Just cause teams draft high doesnt mean they draft better players. If that was the case the jets and bengals would be the best teams in the nfl.

Verdict

Reaction score
tanking rarely works.

mahomes and brady are some of the best qbs since 2000 and they weren't chosen first in the draft.

If you can’t figure out that drafting higher is an advantage over drafting lower, Im not sure what else to tell you. It would seem like a waste of time, energy and brain power.

Verdict

Reaction score
The extreme ignorance demonstrated in this OP is astounding. It's right up there with not being able to read or do basic math.

Draft position matters. Doing something with it is another matter.

Anyone who has to ask this question must be a complete simpleton.

Verdict

Reaction score
What is better about missing the playoffs at 6-10 vs missing playoffs at 3-13? Both teams suck and miss the playoffs. But one team is going to have first shot at the players they preference in the draft while the other team is going to have sit back and wait to see who falls in their lap or give up more draft capitol trying to move up.

You mention the outlier draft picks. Might as well throw in Dan Marino and Joe Montana too. But you can't count on that kind of luck to build a team. You want the best draft slots you can get and none other than Jimmy Johnson understood that concept as he steered the cowboys to a 1-15 record in 1989. He could have won more games but he chose to cut or bench the MN Viking veterans he acquired in the Hershel walker trade. Why would he do that? Jimmy knew that he would rather be 1-15 with draft picks than have a few meaningless wins and inferior picks. He was thinking ahead........which is a foreign concept to many on this board.
It does no good to tell some of these guys anything.

Verdict

Reaction score
Yeah. I see what you mean. Teams should be giving up picks to move lower in the draft, to, you know, get better players.

Using this strategy we could do a reverse Ricky Williams draft and give up all our draft picks for Mr. Irrelevant. We should build a super bowl winner with the final pick in the draft.

Verdict

Reaction score
Everyone knows the later you pick in the round the more games you win. That’s why they are winning, they pick really late.

Prossman

Reaction score
The team Jimmy Johnson inherited was old an slow ( becuase of 20 winning seasons and drafting late every year) he tore it down to the ground and started over. That 1-15 team fought their butts off, just didn't have the talent to win. Ideally you want you team to keep fighting and if you end up with the top pick so be it. Talent wise we are bad with the injuries, but not the jets bad.. This team is still trying to win. If we win out . so be it, ending the season with momentum is good for the current players. Losing out will make the draft more exciting and give you better picks top to bottom in the draft. You still have to pick the right guys. BTW mahomes was a 1st round draft pick not the first qb or am I crazy. All the teams that choose qbs before him picked the wrong guy. The same could be aid about Dak a comp 4th pick that has out played every qb in his draft class pretty much.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
There aren't any premiere defensive prospects in this draft. No Jalen Ramsey or Bosa type players that are can't miss prospects. So if is better to trade down and get multiple picks which gives you more chances to hit on a player.

jay94

Reaction score
Draft capital=The end. Trade down and a few of those darts have to hit.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The team Jimmy Johnson inherited was old an slow ( becuase of 20 winning seasons and drafting late every year) he tore it down to the ground and started over. That 1-15 team fought their butts off, just didn't have the talent to win. Ideally you want you team to keep fighting and if you end up with the top pick so be it. Talent wise we are bad with the injuries, but not the jets bad.. This team is still trying to win. If we win out . so be it, ending the season with momentum is good for the current players. Losing out will make the draft more exciting and give you better picks top to bottom in the draft. You still have to pick the right guys. BTW mahomes was a 1st round draft pick not the first qb or am I crazy. All the teams that choose qbs before him picked the wrong guy. The same could be aid about Dak a comp 4th pick that has out played every qb in his draft class pretty much.

He also brought in 4 MN Viking starters mid season and chose to cut them in favor of drafts picks. So, he had better players and CHOSE to not put them on the field. I'll let you connect the dots.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I don't think tactically you should ever try to lose. Cultures important and by actively and directly showing your players that you're trying to lose you are going to create the wrong culture.

That being said you can still tank in such a way that does not happen. Strategically you can do that by how you deploy your players.

Have the guys out on the field do their best to win just don't put them in the best position to do so.

really with the way that this defense is I don't think that that's going to be any problem.

For the people saying that having a high draft choice is not beneficial all I can say is that they must be deluded. Something like 90% of the players in the Hall of Fame were selected in the top 10 of the first round. Most of those were within the top five.

And subsequent rounds it means that you can pick the player that you want as opposed to having to choose amongst the leftovers.

This team does have its issues but it does draft well and them having the choice of players that they want can only mean good things.

I want a top five pick and a new defensive coordinator.