Why do we care what players get paid?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All of this angst over Prescott and his salary to be, why does anyone care that's not paying it? Do you see a better option at QB to win now? Not in the future, win now with this team?

The thinking that he cuts a deal and they'll spend that on D studs, where does that come from? They've been the smallest spenders on salaries since 2016. They brought in Quinn who was fine as a pass rusher but not a good run defender and they went 8-8. They traded for him, they didn't go big in FA for him. They're not players in FA.

I don't care what they pay anybody, that's not football, that's not even a sport. This cap management stuff is utter nonsense.

I want my team to have the best possible players beginning with the ones I know about that have already shown it. That's why I want to keep Prescott, Cooper and Jones because I don't know the options and I think they give this team it's best chance to turn things back north.

If you are concerned about the future, that's different but I am not. I only care about this season and I have no idea what's going to happen to that cap or QB salaries but I suspect both are going up considerably.

I don't care if Prescott is the highest paid QB or Cooper as the WR or Jones as the CB because comparing them to others and salary comparing is ridiculous, we do not have access to those players. They are either worth keeping or they or not or they have a reasonable option to replace them. And there is no rookie at those 3 positions that is going to be as good as those 3 players.

These negotiations have taken over the forum and we're spending more time on the evil of the game, the money, than the game itself. You going to watch these players cash game checks or play on the field?

If you feel there are better options, FOR THIS SEASON, than these 3 players, that is one thing but money isn't the factor. This team is loaded to go hunting now, that's why this HC was hired, to turn this north and win now. Are they a true contender? Not sure but any one of those 3 players is removed makes it tougher.

This forum is supposed to be about football, not economics.

aikemirv

Reaction score
All of this angst over Prescott and his salary to be, why does anyone care that's not paying it? Do you see a better option at QB to win now? Not in the future, win now with this team?

The thinking that he cuts a deal and they'll spend that on D studs, where does that come from? They've been the smallest spenders on salaries since 2016. They brought in Quinn who was fine as a pass rusher but not a good run defender and they went 8-8. They traded for him, they didn't go big in FA for him. They're not players in FA.

I don't care what they pay anybody, that's not football, that's not even a sport. This cap management stuff is utter nonsense.

I want my team to have the best possible players beginning with the ones I know about that have already shown it. That's why I want to keep Prescott, Cooper and Jones because I don't know the options and I think they give this team it's best chance to turn things back north.

If you are concerned about the future, that's different but I am not. I only care about this season and I have no idea what's going to happen to that cap or QB salaries but I suspect both are going up considerably.

I don't care if Prescott is the highest paid QB or Cooper as the WR or Jones as the CB because comparing them to others and salary comparing is ridiculous, we do not have access to those players. They are either worth keeping or they or not or they have a reasonable option to replace them. And there is no rookie at those 3 positions that is going to be as good as those 3 players.

These negotiations have taken over the forum and we're spending more time on the evil of the game, the money, than the game itself. You going to watch these players cash game checks or play on the field?

If you feel there are better options, FOR THIS SEASON, than these 3 players, that is one thing but money isn't the factor. This team is loaded to go hunting now, that's why this HC was hired, to turn this north and win now. Are they a true contender? Not sure but any one of those 3 players is removed makes it tougher.

Do you get your TV for free, all your goods, your tickets, your stuff at the games, your jerseys and memorabilla.

Who pays for all those salaries,? Jerry or the fans?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't see a better option in the future, much less to win now. That's not to say their might not be one, but I certainly can't name who that would be.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you get your TV for free, all your goods, your tickets, your stuff at the games, your jerseys and memorabilla.

Who pays for all those salaries,? Jerry or the fans?
The players salaries are actually paid by the TV contracts and gambling proceeds going forward. That's their share and what forms the cap.

I do not get my TV for free but I could get the games for free over a terrestrial signal. And my goods are bought by me for me. I don't buy any of that other stuff and haven't in 30 years.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see a better option in the future, much less to win now. That's not to say their might not be one, but I certainly can't name who that would be.
That's me too. That's why I don't care what they pay any of them, get them on the team and get them on the field, that's all I care about.

Now if someone sees a better option at QB because they don;t like Prescott at QB, that's different, just leave the money out of it. This is all about play, no pay.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Fans are concerned about the salary cap and having one player eat up a high percentage of it. It can result in not being able to re-sign other players and top free agents.
Shouldn’t be a concern when it’s about 15 percent of your cap and the salary cap is going up every year. Even in the MLB fans care about how much guys get paid. It’s broke people telling millionaires how much they should take.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The players salaries are actually paid by the TV contracts and gambling proceeds going forward. That's their share and what forms the cap.

I do not get my TV for free but I could get the games for free over a terrestrial signal. And my goods are bought by me for me. I don't buy any of that other stuff and haven't in 30 years.
Jerry’s loving it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fans are concerned about the salary cap and having a player eat up a high percentage of it. It can result in not being able to re-sign other players and top free agents.
Name the last top free agent this team signed.

Ya see, if they were a player in that, I would feel different but there is not one poster here not surprised to learn that this team has been the lowest salaried team since 2016. We always assume they butt up against the cap, pull out all the stops but they do not. They like to talk about a team friendly deal but what they really mean is a Jones family friendly deal.

aikemirv

Reaction score

I would venture to say that every good you buy is in some way advertised on TV, so no the TV stations don't pay - you do. TV stations are not non-profits!

You might as well be saying that the Movie Theatres pay actors salaries - not you!

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

Ya see, if they were a player in that, I would feel different but there is not one poster here not surprised to learn that this team has been the lowest salaried team since 2016. We always assume they butt up against the cap, pull out all the stops but they do not. They like to talk about a team friendly deal but what they really mean is a Jones family friendly deal.
Greg Hardy. Granted, he wasn't being courted by many teams because of his off the field issues and pending suspension, but we did get him. Before that we spent big money on Brandon Carr.

Those 2 moves seem to have made the team gun shy.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hate to say this, but I'm thoroughly annoyed with the Prescott drama. I'm ready to put him on the next Titanic.
The fans and media are the drama, not Dak. But if we are to point fingers in another direction, why is it all on Dak and none on the team? After all, we really don't know that the team is trying to get done.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I hate to say this, but I'm thoroughly annoyed with the Prescott drama. I'm ready to put him on the next Titanic.

I’m ready to put all the fans who keep blaming him on the next Titanic. They’re the ones who are making all this Dak drama annoying. Just look at some of the ridiculous threads and comments that are being posted.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sports leagues should keep contract information confidential.
I cannot Like this enough. When the Rangers got Rodriguez, you could not see his name in print for two years without 252M or 25.2M per year attached to his name.

Far too often fans use a player's salary against him just as we've done with Lawrence, they're not related.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I cannot Like this enough. When the Rangers got Rodriguez, you could not see his name in print for two years without 252M or 25.2M per year attached to his name.

Far too often fans use a player's salary against him just as we've done with Lawrence, they're not related.
People get paid for PERFORMANCE!

In every profession! If you don't perform most people just get fired!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

The last top-tier free agent I can remember the Cowboys signing was Brandon Carr who wasn’t worth the money. We signed Greg Hardy who was a free agent and he didn’t work out. The biggest problem with free agency is you end up overpaying for top free agents who seldom ever live up to their over priced contracts.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

You're exactly right. Fans have become overly concerned with salaries. They can no longer kick back and enjoy a game or team. I'll admit, I became that fan, but realized it just took away some of the enjoyment and honestly don't care that much about it anymore. Put talent on the field...as much of it as you can and make a SB run. That's what I want the team to do. If it costs a couple of throwaway seasons in the future, so be it.