Why do we care what players get paid?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because greedy mfs like dak make it harder to field a decent team when he is taking most of the cap but not producing at that level or providing anything that helps the team win.
Please name me one player that is not one of those? Every player goes for the gold and whatever deal they make has no effect on their performance. Is Prescott greedier than Lawrence or Elliott?

It's a lot easier to be critical of him for his performance, at any price, than looking out for himself.

And did any of these players create the money grab? Or did the FO invite it with their rollovers?

I really think posters getting pissed at Prescott and his agent is funny. They didn't create this, they're just following the template laid out before them. And it isn't like the FO hasn't gushed all over him making him think they just can;t go on without him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We've seen what happens with over bloated contracts for a few "key" players. The rest of the team suffers.

If they truly want to play the game for the love of it, and for the Cowboys because of the history of the franchise, then they wouldn't be so greedy. Holding out for $40 million is selfish and greedy. It's not doing what's best for the team.

This includes all players, not just Prescott.
I can't argue that but these players are just like the hoarders we see hitting the stores.

The NFL is the greatest example of greed we have. It's greed on both sides and if I am a player and I see the owner of my team flaunting his wealth, he's going to share some of that.

Quick, no player is responsible for balancing the cap and the team. They will probably let Jones walk because of what they will pay for Prescott, Cooper and others but that is not on them. It is the sole responsibility of L'il Booger to make sure they have enough money to field a contender.

kskboys

Reaction score
Please name me one player that is not one of those? Every player goes for the gold and whatever deal they make has no effect on their performance. Is Prescott greedier than Lawrence or Elliott?

It's a lot easier to be critical of him for his performance, at any price, than looking out for himself.

And did any of these players create the money grab? Or did the FO invite it with their rollovers?

I really think posters getting pissed at Prescott and his agent is funny. They didn't create this, they're just following the template laid out before them. And it isn't like the FO hasn't gushed all over him making him think they just can;t go on without him.
There are actually many of them. You don't hear about them because they quietly sign a reasonable contract and go to work. That is actually the majority.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
All of this angst over Prescott and his salary to be, why does anyone care that's not paying it? Do you see a better option at QB to win now? Not in the future, win now with this team?

The thinking that he cuts a deal and they'll spend that on D studs, where does that come from? They've been the smallest spenders on salaries since 2016. They brought in Quinn who was fine as a pass rusher but not a good run defender and they went 8-8. They traded for him, they didn't go big in FA for him. They're not players in FA.

I don't care what they pay anybody, that's not football, that's not even a sport. This cap management stuff is utter nonsense.

I want my team to have the best possible players beginning with the ones I know about that have already shown it. That's why I want to keep Prescott, Cooper and Jones because I don't know the options and I think they give this team it's best chance to turn things back north.

If you are concerned about the future, that's different but I am not. I only care about this season and I have no idea what's going to happen to that cap or QB salaries but I suspect both are going up considerably.

I don't care if Prescott is the highest paid QB or Cooper as the WR or Jones as the CB because comparing them to others and salary comparing is ridiculous, we do not have access to those players. They are either worth keeping or they or not or they have a reasonable option to replace them. And there is no rookie at those 3 positions that is going to be as good as those 3 players.

These negotiations have taken over the forum and we're spending more time on the evil of the game, the money, than the game itself. You going to watch these players cash game checks or play on the field?

If you feel there are better options, FOR THIS SEASON, than these 3 players, that is one thing but money isn't the factor. This team is loaded to go hunting now, that's why this HC was hired, to turn this north and win now. Are they a true contender? Not sure but any one of those 3 players is removed makes it tougher.

This forum is supposed to be about football, not economics.
Because we like to sound as if we are rational and well informed

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are actually many of them. You don't hear about them because they quietly sign a reasonable contract and go to work. That is actually the majority.
Every player that has an agent gets the max he can get. Now, they don't all go to the extreme but they all use the same comp sheets.

What makes the Cowboys different is the fact that they roll over and what they are dealing with now is exactly what I said would happen. They cannot roll over for their star players at DE, RB and LB and not have that affect the real star players where they follow the ball.

If this were another brain trust, I might care but with this one, they're not smart enough, self-disciplined or good enough at talent evaluation for it to matter.

kskboys

Reaction score
Every player that has an agent gets the max he can get. Now, they don't all go to the extreme but they all use the same comp sheets.

What makes the Cowboys different is the fact that they roll over and what they are dealing with now is exactly what I said would happen. They cannot roll over for their star players at DE, RB and LB and not have that affect the real star players where they follow the ball.

If this were another brain trust, I might care but with this one, they're not smart enough, self-disciplined or good enough at talent evaluation for it to matter.
Not every one. Free took less.

SSoup

Reaction score
When there's a salary cap, the game theory stuff kicks into gear. If every team in theory is working with roughly the same resources--7 draft picks a year and identical salary floors & ceilings--the winner will tend to be the team who makes the best use of those resources. (Never mind that there's no cap on coaches pay or front office pay, so there would be a competitive advantage to be gained if an owner wanted to win badly enough. Which our owner has proven he doesn't.)

Hence why most sports fans now behave like awful people who actively root for our best players to be underpaid and exploited more effectively by their billionaire owner.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not every one. Free took less.
He took was offered to stay with the team. And he was hardly a star, most posters on the old site disliked him and he never got the credit for being a good run blocker. He was also our entry into the "Most Crazed Escaped POW' contest.

Sean Lee changed his deal to stay with the team too.

I am not saying money is the only motivator for all players but it is with Prescott just as it was with Lawrence and Elliott. Smith's deal includes the Joneses investing in his business, which I am assuming the league looked into since Booger can be naughty. But can't tell me that wasn't a deal maker.

eastsideboy

Reaction score
Fans are concerned about the salary cap and having one player eat up a high percentage of it. It can result in not being able to re-sign other players and top free agents.
You would hope this would be obvious. But our education system is not what it once was. :facepalm:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You would hope this would be obvious. But our education system is not what it once was. :facepalm:

This board seems to attract a lot of fans who’s elevators are stuck between floors.

kskboys

Reaction score
He took was offered to stay with the team. And he was hardly a star, most posters on the old site disliked him and he never got the credit for being a good run blocker. He was also our entry into the "Most Crazed Escaped POW' contest.

Sean Lee changed his deal to stay with the team too.

I am not saying money is the only motivator for all players but it is with Prescott just as it was with Lawrence and Elliott. Smith's deal includes the Joneses investing in his business, which I am assuming the league looked into since Booger can be naughty. But can't tell me that wasn't a deal maker.
The statement was that all players w/ an agent get all they can. That's simply not always true. You just don't hear about the ones who don't hold out for more money.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I can't argue that but these players are just like the hoarders we see hitting the stores.
The NFL is the greatest example of greed we have. It's greed on both sides and if I am a player and I see the owner of my team flaunting his wealth, he's going to share some of that.
Quick, no player is responsible for balancing the cap and the team. They will probably let Jones walk because of what they will pay for Prescott, Cooper and others but that is not on them. It is the sole responsibility of L'il Booger to make sure they have enough money to field a contender.

Well since "that's not on" Prescott, we'll see what Prescott thinks about that when the OL starts deteriorating and the Cowboys' salary cap can't spare the money it takes to maintain an OL that can protect him.
Well, when he starts getting smeared behind the line, perhaps he can take comfort in knowing "That's not on him".

Quickdraw

Reaction score

Yes, and that is why you don't give in to market pressure. Prescott hasn't earned his stripes yet so in my opinion, he isn't worth what he thinks he is.

There will be plenty of money if players are team oriented and not in it for themselves.

Unfortunately, this is not realistic, so he'll get paid, and the team will not be able to keep existing players, or build in key positions. That's today's NFL.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
We've seen what happens with over bloated contracts for a few "key" players. The rest of the team suffers.

If they truly want to play the game for the love of it, and for the Cowboys because of the history of the franchise, then they wouldn't be so greedy. Holding out for $40 million is selfish and greedy. It's not doing what's best for the team.

This includes all players, not just Prescott.

As aspect of this which is never talked about is the extent to which players are pressured not to leave money on the table in these negotiations because they all want salaries to continue to escalate. Players and agents receive calls from the NFLPA not to "settle" for less than top dollar. The agents are threatened with losing clients and the players are threatened with getting crap in the locker room over it. So it's not a matter of simple greed. As has already been stated.. they're simply playing the game by the rules as they've had explained to them. Dak was ready to sign for $25 million/year last Spring.. the team wasn't ready to do the deal. Whose fault is that? Now the price has gone up 10 million a year because they waited. Guess what? If he has another year like this last one AND the team plays up to its capabilities and makes a deep playoff run.. it might go up another 10 million. Waiting almost never works out for the team.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yes, and that is why you don't give in to market pressure. Prescott hasn't earned his stripes yet so in my opinion, he isn't worth what he thinks he is.

There will be plenty of money if players are team oriented and not in it for themselves.

Unfortunately, this is not realistic, so he'll get paid, and the team will not be able to keep existing players, or build in key positions. That's today's NFL.

If we could pull up the old BBS and chatrooms from the 90's you will find posts from me screaming LOUDLY that Emmitt, Troy, Deion and Mike were crippling that team's chances of getting another ring by being greedy. It's like they forgot that the reason they were in the position they were in was that they won Super Bowls. and that if they took ALL the money that was on the table they were assuring that they would not win another one. This current group has not achieve 1/10th of what those guys did and are still trying to break the bank. It's stoopid and I fear it will now cost THIS generation a chance at a title..

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The statement was that all players w/ an agent get all they can. That's simply not always true. You just don't hear about the ones who don't hold out for more money.

You hear about Brady all the time.. but he's hardly the lone example. I think Kelce in KC also took less.. I think Richard Sherman is his own agent and he also took a little less just so he could play in the same division as the Seahawks and torment them for dumping him.

Thomas82

Reaction score
I been saying for a long time, it always works it self out. I do not get caught up in the salary cap stuff.

Neither do I. I have a very basic understanding of how the salary cap works, but I don't keep up with player contracts. As far as I'm concerned, teams don't lose players that they really want to keep.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
As aspect of this which is never talked about is the extent to which players are pressured not to leave money on the table in these negotiations because they all want salaries to continue to escalate.
Players and agents receive calls from the NFLPA not to "settle" for less than top dollar. The agents are threatened with losing clients and the players are threatened with getting crap in the locker room over it. So it's not a matter of simple greed. As has already been stated.. they're simply playing the game by the rules as they've had explained to them. Dak was ready to sign for $25 million/year last Spring.. the team wasn't ready to do the deal. Whose fault is that? Now the price has gone up 10 million a year because they waited. Guess what? If he has another year like this last one AND the team plays up to its capabilities and makes a deep playoff run.. it might go up another 10 million. Waiting almost never works out for the team.

That's an interesting statement because if it's true, it means the NFLPA cares only about the monster salaries of a few and care nothing about the rest of the players who thought THEY were being represented by the NFLPA as well.
For some reason, people pretend that the salary cap doesn't work the way that it DOES work. In exaggerated terms, if the QB receives 50% of the cap, the entire rest of the team has to split the remaining 50%. The more the QB makes, the less the rest of the team makes.
So if the NFLPA is promoting higher and higher salaries to the QB, that means they are also promoting smaller and smaller salaries for the rest of the team.
So maybe they should change the name of the NFL Player's Association to the NFL Quarterbacks Association because they're promoting monster salaries for QBs at the expense of all the other players.

Ever since the late 1800's, Unions have strived for fair pay and labor practices for ALL their members.
Apparently the NFLPA doesn't agree with those high standards of fairness anymore. Give more and more to the few on top, and let the rest of 'em eat cake!

Last edited: