Why do we continually struggle?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread but the topic is probably of interest.

Somebody asked why we have not been successful as a team.

You guys will have many answers and I have many questions as a fan for over 50 years.

Here is my answer to the question..

-----'---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They have not been successful becuz they take on too many hopeless headcases like Hardy and Gregory and Irvin and Rolando McLean.

They continually take on more like them in Austin, Claiborne, Carr and others who either can not stay healthy or under perform but have big contracts.

Now we have resigned Lee who never can finish a season and resigned Witten who bless his heart can't get deeper than a 5 yd. turn around pass.

This is depressing.

It's a pattern of hoping they are right and depending on a core of stars to carry the load and hope the rest come along.

Fully about 25 % of the roster is not productive and cannot contribute much.

Special teams is a joke..we have nobody who can return a kick past 10 yards and will not make fixing it a priority.

Jimster used to say you had to win 2/3rd of the offense, defense and special teams to succeed.

We win on offense or fight to a stalemate, we fall behind on defense and have to mount furious 4th Qt. comebacks and our kicking game is average with no returns to speak of.

Last year we were very lucky in the second half of the year that both the Commanders and Philly had QB problems and we caught them.

Do not plan on that again.

The odds are against us.

Now what?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's the off season and FA has not improved anything and not much has changed except we have lost 4 starters in Swaim, Gregory, Irvin and and a LBer to KC again..

and signed some camp bodies at TE and safety and a rotation DL.

This is a significant net loss so far and I am not looking forward to the draft as we are too far down to expect anything that is going to help replace these losses.

Add to that our schedule in 2019 will be more difficult this year and I am trying to see where to be positive.

I think I need some help.

:huh:

JERRY and his affinity for puppet loser coaches. Simply cant compete on the big stage with frauds like Garrett leading your team.

Before McClay got here it was a wider trough of issues.

Noclaf

Reaction score
division champs 3 of last 5 years and 2 playoff wins doesn't say team struggling to me...it says we are getting close to the top of the mountain and have cone up short a few times.
They are no where near the top, this team was close to getting this coached fired, get ready for a full on disaster this year, why? Because it's what they do

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don’t understand your comment. Jerry is a billionaire because of the Cowboys. He earns more money than any other NFL owner. I don’t think fans begrudge him for that or for not going out and overpaying Free agents. Fans have been upset since 1994 when he became the GM. His refusal to hire a real GM, this team’s constant underperformance when we have actually had talent.
He does not know how to build a culture of winnnng and accountability.
Jimmy Johnson would cut guys for fraternizing with opponents, smiling and laughing when went 1-15. Cowboys fans are now accustomed to being losers.
We fall in love with Romo, Witten, Dak, you name the player.
Jerry made the Cowboys, the Cowboys didn't make him. You sound so ignorant the way you tell it. Jerry bought the Cowboys for $140 million. It's Jerry's business acumen that made the Cowboys a multi-billion dollar franchise. He earns more money than the other owners for the same reason, he had to go out and make those deals, they didn't just come to him. The money used on free agency comes out of the salary cap, it's not like he can pay whatever he wants. Jerry has been Owner/GM since 1989 not 2004. He won 3 SBs as GM of the Cowboys and you do not speak for all Cowboys fans when you say we are losers now.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Jerry made the Cowboys, the Cowboys didn't make him. You sound so ignorant the way you tell it. Jerry bought the Cowboys for $140 million. It's Jerry's business acumen that made the Cowboys a multi-billion dollar franchise. He earns more money than the other owners for the same reason, he had to go out and make those deals, they didn't just come to him. The money used on free agency comes out of the salary cap, it's not like he can pay whatever he wants. Jerry has been Owner/GM since 1989 not 2004. He won 3 SBs as GM of the Cowboys and you do not speak for all Cowboys fans when you say we are losers now.
Exactly Jerry won more SBs the first 6 years of taking over the team as the prior franchise did in 30,,regardless of this SB drought they still won more over the same 30 years as the old regime. We all want more big games and success and Jerry made a ton of mistakes after Jimmy left and the leagues Salary cap and FA rules changed..things are a ton better now and to say we suck and struggle is only looking at maybe 5 teams who are better over the last 10yrs. We are consistently in the top 5/6 in win loss records over the last decade..again we all want another SB shot and are short on patience for it but some of you are rediculous in your character descriptions of the owner and FO... it could be so much worse its not funny...struggle is not the correct word unless it’s simply getting to more NFCCG and a SB..a ton of teams nearly all but NE can say that over the last 30 yrs..other then NE no 1 team is simply making it that far consistently.

Silly

Reaction score
Don't forget Hardy & Rolando were only in Dallas because the team didn't have enough money to sign in decent players. The Romo Salary really hurt the team.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Exactly Jerry won more SBs the first 6 years of taking over the team as the prior franchise did in 30,,regardless of this SB drought they still won more over the same 30 years as the old regime. We all want more big games and success and Jerry made a ton of mistakes after Jimmy left and the leagues Salary cap and FA rules changed..things are a ton better now and to say we suck and struggle is only looking at maybe 5 teams who are better over the last 10yrs. We are consistently in the top 5/6 in win loss records over the last decade..again we all want another SB shot and are short on patience for it but some of you are rediculous in your character descriptions of the owner and FO... it could be so much worse its not funny...struggle is not the correct word unless it’s simply getting to more NFCCG and a SB..a ton of teams nearly all but NE can say that over the last 30 yrs..other then NE no 1 team is simply making it that far consistently.
Well said!

dckid

Reaction score
I wasn’t trying to offend you bro. I know when Jerry bought the Cowboys. I wasn’t trying to write the full history of the team. He was the GM for real in 1994, before that he said title but Jimmy was running the show end to end. I give Jerry a lot of credit for changing the way the league does business. I Rembert 1995 when he started individual marketing deals with Nike, Pizza Hut, Pepsi. He was also the main cog in having the NFL go with Fox over CBS. He is a great businessman. No doubt about it. Having said all that I won’t use but, I am using and. I am not discrediting him by saying but. He has been a horrific GM, he has brought a culture of being average to this organization. We are great off the field. The Cowboys tradition of winning is not there anymore. We became America’s partially on marketing but we backed it up with 20 straight winning seasons. 8 SB appearances out of 30. I know my Cowboy history end to end.

dckid

Reaction score
Nonfootball guys in the FO trying to be football guys. The minute Jerry and Stephen actually hire a real GM instead of treating this franchise like real life madden is the moment we get more successful.
Thas someone who understand what the problem is.

kskboys

Reaction score

You guys will have many answers and I have many questions as a fan for over 50 years.

-----'---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They have not been successful becuz they take on too many hopeless headcases like Hardy and Gregory and Irvin and Rolando McLean.

They continually take on more like them in Austin, Claiborne, Carr and others who either can not stay healthy or under perform but have big contracts.

Now we have resigned Lee who never can finish a season and resigned Witten who bless his heart can't get deeper than a 5 yd. turn around pass.

This is depressing.

It's a pattern of hoping they are right and depending on a core of stars to carry the load and hope the rest come along.

Special teams is a joke..we have nobody who can return a kick past 10 yards and will not make fixing it a priority.

Jimster used to say you had to win 2/3rd of the offense, defense and special teams to succeed.

We win on offense or fight to a stalemate, we fall behind on defense and have to mount furious 4th Qt. comebacks and our kicking game is average with no returns to speak of.

Last year we were very lucky in the second half of the year that both the Commanders and Philly had QB problems and we caught them.

The odds are against us.

Now what?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's the off season and FA has not improved anything and not much has changed except we have lost 4 starters in Swaim, Gregory, Irvin and and a LBer to KC again..

This is a significant net loss so far and I am not looking forward to the draft as we are too far down to expect anything that is going to help replace these losses.

Add to that our schedule in 2019 will be more difficult this year and I am trying to see where to be positive.

I think you're correct, though the D did win us a few games last season.

Bottom line is that we lack the guy(Usually the GM) who can get the right pieces and put them together. He thinks the NFL is all about war daddies and CB's and WR's. That's where we frequently spend major resources. And that's one of the primary reasons that the 25% keeps on failing, because they're bottom of the barrel. And that's due to focus on the wrong positions and odd drafting and spending too many bucks on a few players.

Look at Coop. I love him as a player, but that trade was for 1 1/2 seasons, unless we pay him huge. Was it really a good trade? That is yet to be determined. Very questionable move.

kskboys

Reaction score
When it's not your money it's so easy to say where it should be spent. I hate it when people say this team is not successful. The Cowboys have had far more success than most teams, even recently. But unfortunately, some people only consider a success if you've won it all and that is were we have fallen short. We struggle because every team struggles at some point. This team is in a good position and should do well in the coming season. Be glad for that rather than always dwelling on the gloom and doom that I see fans doing all the time.
I'm not understanding your point in declaring that it's not our money. That appears to be a completely irrelevant point.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I think you're correct, though the D did win us a few games last season.

Bottom line is that we lack the guy(Usually the GM) who can get the right pieces and put them together. He thinks the NFL is all about war daddies and CB's and WR's. That's where we frequently spend major resources. And that's one of the primary reasons that the 25% keeps on failing, because they're bottom of the barrel. And that's due to focus on the wrong positions and odd drafting and spending too many bucks on a few players.

Look at Coop. I love him as a player, but that trade was for 1 1/2 seasons, unless we pay him huge. Was it really a good trade? That is yet to be determined. Very questionable move.
I thought the Cooper trade was fine..

especially in light that we won a lot afterwards and watered down where that pick was going to fall with Oakland.

I'm sure at the time, Oakland thought it would be a top 10 pick.

Now I am torn about paying him his new deal when all of the benefit went to Oakland in his 1st 2 seasons where he was Pro Bowl.

This year will determine things.

I want another playmaker WR now that Beasley has departed.

Hopefully somebody gets released after the draft and we get a shot at somebody.

Hurns is not the answer and with his broken ankle..he is not going to be any faster and will probably be inconsistent becuz of the injury.

But I am probably whistling in the graveyard on that wish.

:grin:

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Pretty easy answer. Stephen is running a business. All he cares about is the bottom line and saving money. The product on the field is irrelevant

kskboys

Reaction score
No he didn't. Jerry made the Cowboys more profitable. However, he bought the most popular franchise in the NFL w/ a ready made fan base. He didn't come anywhere near "making" the Cowboys.

kskboys

Reaction score
I thought the Cooper trade was fine..

especially in light that we won a lot afterwards and watered down where that pick was going to fall with Oakland.

I'm sure at the time, Oakland thought it would be a top 10 pick.

Now I am torn about paying him his new deal when all of the benefit went to Oakland in his 1st 2 seasons where he was Pro Bowl.

This year will determine things.

I want another playmaker WR now that Beasley has departed.

Hopefully somebody gets released after the draft and we get a shot at somebody.

Hurns is not the answer and with his broken ankle..he is not going to be any faster and will probably be inconsistent becuz of the injury.

But I am probably whistling in the graveyard on that wish.

:grin:
If he turns out to be a 1 1/2 year rental, it was a terrible trade.

Valkyr

Reaction score
Because we have either Jerry Jones or a cheapskate who suckled at the teat of Jerry Jones making the decisions.

cern

Reaction score
imo, not much thought is required. we have a lousy head coach who cannot get the best of his players. are they loyal to him for the most part. sure. but so what. jimmy showed the value of an exceptional head coach. there was a glimmer of hope with parcells but he moved on. since then, it's been Jason garrett who will never be confused with jimmy or bill.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

This is depressing.

The odds are against us.

Now what?

Yes you need some help. Sure the 20 some odd years without certainly is unacceptable. But in the last several years positive changes have started taking place. The ignorant don’t understand the intangibles Dak brings to the table with his leadership. They chose to just hate because “20 some odd years without a SB’ sucks. It does but I don’t let it blind me like the mouth breathers do.

aria

Reaction score
I fully count on the Commanders to have QB problems and the Giants are a mess. Philthy could give us problems if they stay healthy. Perhaps we

kskboys

Reaction score
Stephen is not a cheapskate. He's simply the son of the GM who bought his position. And Stephen has now been assigned the task of doing a job for which he does not have the necessary knowhow. Navigating FA is extremely difficult. We tried the extreme spending route, and it didn't work. So now, Stephen is trying to learn on the fly. He wants to make the right moves, but simply doesn't have the football knowhow to do so. I doubt if he understands why players such as Thornton, Carr, Byron Bell, Matt Cassell, Bernadeau, and/or Nate Livings didn't work out. Why? Because his teacher was his dad, who believes any player can play at a pro bowl level if they just try hard enough. Emmit Smith was slow, afterall, right?

Stephen needs to take a crash course on terms such as burst, lateral agility, first step quickness, core strength, burst out of the breaks, and instincts. We seem to draft our players quite often based on college numbers, which might be the absolute worst way to draft. The draft is all about the players skillset and how it will translate to the NFL. Not using this as a parameter is why we make such mistakes as trading up for Mo, for overpaying for Carr, for drafting Esco in the 2nd. And this is mindnumbingly frustrating, as this info is out there and readily available for anyone to peruse. Why don't we read it?