Why do we continually struggle?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Yes you need some help. Sure the 20 some odd years without certainly is unacceptable. But in the last several years positive changes have started taking place. The ignorant don’t understand the intangibles Dak brings to the table with his leadership. They chose to just hate because “20 some odd years without a SB’ sucks. It does but I don’t let it blind me like the mouth breathers do.
Mouth breathers..

Oh I like that.

I like Dak and chose to believe in him.

Zeke, too.

Now Jerry and the FO?

They are into financial bottomlines..

winning is just a means to an end.

It's not the bottom line goal.

I think the players understand it as do the coaches.

It's the fans who do not get it.

:confused:

cern

Reaction score
Stephen is not a cheapskate. He's simply the son of the GM who bought his position. And Stephen has now been assigned the task of doing a job for which he does not have the necessary knowhow. Navigating FA is extremely difficult. We tried the extreme spending route, and it didn't work. So now, Stephen is trying to learn on the fly. He wants to make the right moves, but simply doesn't have the football knowhow to do so. I doubt if he understands why players such as Thornton, Carr, Byron Bell, Matt Cassell, Bernadeau, and/or Nate Livings didn't work out. Why? Because his teacher was his dad, who believes any player can play at a pro bowl level if they just try hard enough. Emmit Smith was slow, afterall, right?

Stephen needs to take a crash course on terms such as burst, lateral agility, first step quickness, core strength, burst out of the breaks, and instincts. We seem to draft our players quite often based on college numbers, which might be the absolute worst way to draft. The draft is all about the players skillset and how it will translate to the NFL. Not using this as a parameter is why we make such mistakes as trading up for Mo, for overpaying for Carr, for drafting Esco in the 2nd. And this is mindnumbingly frustrating, as this info is out there and readily available for anyone to peruse. Why don't we read it?
for the physical attributes of a player, Stephen relies on will mcclay. as for the business end of things,, he's done an excellent job. mo and carr were moves made when jerry still ran everything. that's not been the case for the last several years.

kskboys

Reaction score
Mouth breathers..

Oh I like that.

Zeke, too.

Now Jerry and the FO?

I actually don't believe the financials have anything to do w/ it. I believe Jerry wants both he and his son desperately to be known as football guys, so he insists that they make the decisions. They're trying everything they can do to understand the FA process, except getting a guy in here who understands it to help them. Instead, they're struggling because they don't have that expert. Jerry wants credence, and he can get it if his son can achieve success.

The bottom line goal is Jerry's ego, not money.

kskboys

Reaction score
for the physical attributes of a player, Stephen relies on will mcclay. as for the business end of things,, he's done an excellent job. mo and carr were moves made when jerry still ran everything. that's not been the case for the last several years.
Then McClay needs to take that class. Signing Thornton for NT was dumber'n dirt. Signing Carroll at all was dumb.

We're doing better, but we're still making basic mistakes at times. Covington is a nice rotational player, did we sign him as more than that?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I actually don't believe the financials have anything to do w/ it. I believe Jerry wants both he and his son desperately to be known as football guys, so he insists that they make the decisions. They're trying everything they can do to understand the FA process, except getting a guy in here who understands it to help them. Instead, they're struggling because they don't have that expert. Jerry wants credence, and he can get it if his son can achieve success.

The bottom line goal is Jerry's ego, not money.
Ego and money are the same with our owner.

I stand corrected.

Thanx.

kskboys

Reaction score
Ego and money are the same with our owner.

I stand corrected.

Thanx.
I don't think so. Jerry has already wildly achieved monetary success, and was voted into the HOF specifically for that. He now desperately wants football success w/ he or his son as the main guy. However, he was not willing to study to do that, so now we're left w/ Stephen. Stephen seems to be better than his dad as GM, but still appears to need a little more info. I do have hopes.

Not correcting anyone, simply musing as to the psychology of Jerry and company.

GenoT

Reaction score
With all due respect to those posters who believe Will McClay and/or Stephen Jones make the final decisions in the Cowboys’ FO, and recognizing that Jerry Jones has obviously been better, recently, at listening to and often acting upon others’ recommendations...

Until he publicly turns over the FO to Stephen et al and retires, it’s the owner/GM who is still going with his gut and making ALL the final decisions, regarding coaching hires and player acquisition/moves.

Since Jerry ran Jimmy Johnson off and became the active, rather than the titular GM — which he was during the Jimmy years — and since we last won a SB with the nucleus of the Jimmy-built Cowboys, there’s been one constant in our 23yrs of can’t-get-past-the-second-round, postseason futility:

GM Jerry Jones.

fansince68

Reaction score
We over value our players. If we draft them or get a decent season out of them we attach and refuse to trade and get something in return for a player on the downside. Jerry becomes "friends" with his players and then loses business objectivity with them. If Jerry is not convinced that Lawrence is worth the money, TRADE him immediately. The FO needs to set a standard for the players and stick to it. If you are going to extend Dak, Amari, Zeke, Jones. Just DO IT. Why all the postering ? We are losing the opportunity to get the cream of the crop in free agency simply because we can't just make the decisions now. You gotta know when to hold em and when to fold em.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Mouth breathers..

Oh I like that.

Zeke, too.

Now Jerry and the FO?

Just to be clear, I don’t consider you one of those mouth breathers. Just the opposite in fact. You always post very well and intelligent posts. The only thing I disagree with you concerns Jerry. I really don’t think he has anything to do with player acquisition other than telling Stephen to get some players cause I want to win. Many fans don’t think Jerry cares 1 iota about winning and it’s all about the $$. That’s so asinine and ignorant it’s not worth a response. I don’t put you in that’s class of fan at all. There’s a lot of them out there and many are here.

cern

Reaction score
I don't think so. Jerry has already wildly achieved monetary success, and was voted into the HOF specifically for that. He now desperately wants football success w/ he or his son as the main guy. However, he was not willing to study to do that, so now we're left w/ Stephen. Stephen seems to be better than his dad as GM, but still appears to need a little more info. I do have hopes.

Not correcting anyone, simply musing as to the psychology of Jerry and company.
no offense taken at all.:) jerry was always motivated by his ego imo. Stephen doesn't seem to care about anything but winning. judging human flesh is more difficult than judging horse flesh. many more intangibles besides just the physical attributes.

HungryLion

Reaction score
usp_nfl__dallas_cowboys_at_carolina_panthers_52238027.jpg

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I wasn’t trying to offend you bro. I know when Jerry bought the Cowboys. I wasn’t trying to write the full history of the team. He was the GM for real in 1994, before that he said title but Jimmy was running the show end to end. I give Jerry a lot of credit for changing the way the league does business. I Rembert 1995 when he started individual marketing deals with Nike, Pizza Hut, Pepsi. He was also the main cog in having the NFL go with Fox over CBS. He is a great businessman. No doubt about it. Having said all that I won’t use but, I am using and. I am not discrediting him by saying but. He has been a horrific GM, he has brought a culture of being average to this organization. We are great off the field. The Cowboys tradition of winning is not there anymore. We became America’s partially on marketing but we backed it up with 20 straight winning seasons. 8 SB appearances out of 30. I know my Cowboy history end to end.
Have you been paying attention the past 3 years? Guess which NFC team has won the most games in that time? THE DALLAS COWBOYS! Don't tell the Cowboys tradition of winning is not there anymore. We are on to something now, 2 division titles in 3 years. They need to build on that but the way they are running the team now they are getting better every season.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm not understanding your point in declaring that it's not our money. That appears to be a completely irrelevant point.
Like you spend your own money the way you would spend someone elses. Not my fault you don't understand that concept.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
No he didn't. Jerry made the Cowboys more profitable. However, he bought the most popular franchise in the NFL w/ a ready made fan base. He didn't come anywhere near "making" the Cowboys.
The Cowboys in 1989 were losing money and sucked bad. Are you not old enough to remember that? No one outside of Texas gave a crap about them anymore. Jerry Jones was laughed at for paying so much for them at the time. You must have been one of those fans that didn't understand how bad it had gotten for them by the time Jerry bought it. Sure they had had some glory days and won 2 superbowls in the '70s but the '80s ruined the team. Texas Stadium was a horrible stadium by the time Jerry bought the team. Thank him for re-making the Cowboys and restoring their repretation. You are just ungreatful or not old enough to remember it all.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We’ve been a lot more successful in recent years than many fans want to admit. The delta is a function of luck/injury/opportunity/suspension/variable officiating and the Jerry Jones Chaos Tax.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Nonfootball guys in the FO trying to be football guys. The minute Jerry and Stephen actually hire a real GM instead of treating this franchise like real life madden is the moment we get more successful.
Stephen Jones is about as football a guy gets in the front office. He grew up arounf football and was groomed to do the job he has now.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Pretty easy answer. Stephen is running a business. All he cares about is the bottom line and saving money. The product on the field is irrelevant
How is the product on the field irrelevant to SJ if that determines how well the business is run? If you knew SJ, you'd know the product on the field matters very much to him.