Why do we continually struggle?

kskboys

Reaction score
The Cowboys in 1989 were losing money and sucked bad. Are you not old enough to remember that? No one outside of Texas gave a crap about them anymore. Jerry Jones was laughed at for paying so much for them at the time. You must have been one of those fans that didn't understand how bad it had gotten for them by the time Jerry bought it. Sure they had had some glory days and won 2 superbowls in the '70s but the '80s ruined the team. Texas Stadium was a horrible stadium by the time Jerry bought the team. Thank him for re-making the Cowboys and restoring their repretation. You are just ungreatful or not old enough to remember it all.
I'm 54.

I know all the history. However, you claimed Jerry "made" the Cowboys. That's what I told you I took issue w/. You must be one of those fans who have issues w/ comprehension. Try reading classes.

fansince68

Reaction score
Stephen Jones is about as football a guy gets in the front office. He grew up arounf football and was groomed to do the job he has now.
Yeah but who "groomed" him? An attention starved press conference having owner/gm.

cern

Reaction score
I think Stephen's done an excellent job of acquiring talent the last few years. and getting rid of some cancers as well. those not in agreement are free to submit their resumes.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Let's see. Who hired …
Chan Gailey
Dave Campo
Wade Philips
Jason Garrett
:rolleyes:

Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells were the only two hires who told Jerry to "butt out" and look what it got them. :(

kskboys

Reaction score
I think Stephen's done an excellent job of acquiring talent the last few years. and getting rid of some cancers as well. those not in agreement are free to submit their resumes.
I agree. We've come a long way. Now, if we can just get him the memo about DT and S and how interior pressure is by far the worst kind of pressure for any QB to deal w/. Esp a slowfooted one such as Brady. You must sell out to pressure Brady or you'll lose.

cern

Reaction score
I agree. We've come a long way. Now, if we can just get him the memo about DT and S and how interior pressure is by far the worst kind of pressure for any QB to deal w/. Esp a slowfooted one such as Brady. You must sell out to pressure Brady or you'll lose.
i'm sure he gets it. but those types of players are rare. how many teams have those immovable interior linemen? the proverbial run stuffing, rush up the middle guy? very few. the reason is simple. guys weighing 320+ pounds who are highly athletic are rare. if one were available when we drafted, i'm certain we'd go for him. i'm hoping Kris Richard's ifluence with the d-backs will produce a serviceable safety. that's been our achilles heel when facing 3rd and long for several years now.

kskboys

Reaction score
i'm sure he gets it. but those types of players are rare. how many teams have those immovable interior linemen? the proverbial run stuffing, rush up the middle guy? very few. the reason is simple. guys weighing 320+ pounds who are highly athletic are rare. if one were available when we drafted, i'm certain we'd go for him. i'm hoping Kris Richard's ifluence with the d-backs will produce a serviceable safety. that's been our achilles heel when facing 3rd and long for several years now.
We don't. There have been several prospects in the mid rounds that were possibles, but we generally don't take DT's unless they are lanky taller guys. Most interior penetrating types are of the 6-1ish variety. Grady Jarret was a 5th rounder in 2015, but we took Damien Wilson instead. We miss these guys because we don't look for them. It's just not a priority for us.

visionary

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread but the topic is probably of interest.

Somebody asked why we have not been successful as a team.

You guys will have many answers and I have many questions as a fan for over 50 years.

Here is my answer to the question..

-----'---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They have not been successful becuz they take on too many hopeless headcases like Hardy and Gregory and Irvin and Rolando McLean.

They continually take on more like them in Austin, Claiborne, Carr and others who either can not stay healthy or under perform but have big contracts.

Now we have resigned Lee who never can finish a season and resigned Witten who bless his heart can't get deeper than a 5 yd. turn around pass.

This is depressing.

It's a pattern of hoping they are right and depending on a core of stars to carry the load and hope the rest come along.

Fully about 25 % of the roster is not productive and cannot contribute much.

Special teams is a joke..we have nobody who can return a kick past 10 yards and will not make fixing it a priority.

Jimster used to say you had to win 2/3rd of the offense, defense and special teams to succeed.

We win on offense or fight to a stalemate, we fall behind on defense and have to mount furious 4th Qt. comebacks and our kicking game is average with no returns to speak of.

Last year we were very lucky in the second half of the year that both the Commanders and Philly had QB problems and we caught them.

Do not plan on that again.

The odds are against us.

Now what?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's the off season and FA has not improved anything and not much has changed except we have lost 4 starters in Swaim, Gregory, Irvin and and a LBer to KC again..

and signed some camp bodies at TE and safety and a rotation DL.

This is a significant net loss so far and I am not looking forward to the draft as we are too far down to expect anything that is going to help replace these losses.

Add to that our schedule in 2019 will be more difficult this year and I am trying to see where to be positive.

I think I need some help.

:huh:

Delusional owner
No GM
Garbage HC
Entitled players
Nepotism

I think that pretty much sums it up

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Jerry made the Cowboys, the Cowboys didn't make him. You sound so ignorant the way you tell it. Jerry bought the Cowboys for $140 million. It's Jerry's business acumen that made the Cowboys a multi-billion dollar franchise. He earns more money than the other owners for the same reason, he had to go out and make those deals, they didn't just come to him. The money used on free agency comes out of the salary cap, it's not like he can pay whatever he wants. Jerry has been Owner/GM since 1989 not 2004. He won 3 SBs as GM of the Cowboys and you do not speak for all Cowboys fans when you say we are losers now.
BS. The Cowboys were already established as one of if not THE most successful teams in the league. Sure Jerry bought the franchise but if he had succeeded in buying the Chargers do you think he would be this successful financially? I highly doubt it. When he bought the Dallas Cowboys he inherited the fanbase. You know the one that makes it America's Team? He would have a whole lot less if he had a team in a smaller market.

The best thing he has done for the franchise and us fans was recognize they needed to win for it to work. I'm not saying he had it easy by any means we all know the financial risk he took. And there is that the irony of it all. He had urgency! That's what he needs to get back. Instead he is ridiculously wealthy living it up without a care as long as we tune in on game day or show up with our wallets open. I've never seen anyone in management so complacent in my life. Then again he's already said he would fire himself if it were someone else so why shouldn't he be?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

You guys will have many answers and I have many questions as a fan for over 50 years.

-----'---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They have not been successful becuz they take on too many hopeless headcases like Hardy and Gregory and Irvin and Rolando McLean.

They continually take on more like them in Austin, Claiborne, Carr and others who either can not stay healthy or under perform but have big contracts.

Now we have resigned Lee who never can finish a season and resigned Witten who bless his heart can't get deeper than a 5 yd. turn around pass.

This is depressing.

It's a pattern of hoping they are right and depending on a core of stars to carry the load and hope the rest come along.

Special teams is a joke..we have nobody who can return a kick past 10 yards and will not make fixing it a priority.

Jimster used to say you had to win 2/3rd of the offense, defense and special teams to succeed.

We win on offense or fight to a stalemate, we fall behind on defense and have to mount furious 4th Qt. comebacks and our kicking game is average with no returns to speak of.

Last year we were very lucky in the second half of the year that both the Commanders and Philly had QB problems and we caught them.

The odds are against us.

Now what?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's the off season and FA has not improved anything and not much has changed except we have lost 4 starters in Swaim, Gregory, Irvin and and a LBer to KC again..

This is a significant net loss so far and I am not looking forward to the draft as we are too far down to expect anything that is going to help replace these losses.

Add to that our schedule in 2019 will be more difficult this year and I am trying to see where to be positive.

Most teams change GMs and other FO decision-makers when the team repeatedly fails to reach goals. The Cowboys, on the other hand...

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

This is depressing.

The odds are against us.

Now what?

Great take, and we lost Beasley too

Praxit

Reaction score
...dumb people, making dumb moves. Bad luck follows dumb moves like a gray rainbow on a shiny day. Jerry one tough nut to crack. Has always overplayed his pair of 3's.

Johnny23

Reaction score
division champs 3 of last 5 years and 2 playoff wins doesn't say team struggling to me...it says we are getting close to the top of the mountain and have cone up short a few times.
Really? Jipper I have always liked you from the old official forums but I disagree especially when the playoff loses are carbon copies of each other from previous years. In 2016 no pass rush, average to poor secondary breaks down gives up ground to lose game, 2014 same result, 2009 we lose the game the same way, 2007 same way with complete mental breakdowns, terrible penalities and uncharacteristic mistakes. Sean Lee not cover up Heath being clueless in the open field. He never gets fooled like that on a bootleg.

This organization is a neopotistic cesspool void of any sense of urgency or accountability. We have a GM/Owner and his son who fans praise for letting Dez go only to realize the idiot didn't sign or draft a wr worth a damn. Then they waste a 1st round pick trading for Cooper. Because of their football stupidity. Then when it comes to the interior DL they never get the players needed to succeed. They give up 273 rush yards and people talk about misdirection when that goes out the door when the DL gets a push. We were getting pushed back or stalemated which is a win for the OL of LA.

I would be shocked if they ever won a Super Bowl with the way this organization is ran.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm 54.

I know all the history. However, you claimed Jerry "made" the Cowboys. That's what I told you I took issue w/. You must be one of those fans who have issues w/ comprehension. Try reading classes.
You can't win the argument so you resort to insults? I comprehend just fine. If you know the Cowboys history then you know what poor shape the team was in when Jerry bought it. It was losing money! The stadium stunk and the team was losing almost every game. Only the diehards still cared about the Cowboys. If you have issue with that description of what was going on with the Cowboys at that time then you are just in denial. Jerry brought this team back to relevance.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
BS. The Cowboys were already established as one of if not THE most successful teams in the league. Sure Jerry bought the franchise but if he had succeeded in buying the Chargers do you think he would be this successful financially? I highly doubt it. When he bought the Dallas Cowboys he inherited the fanbase. You know the one that makes it America's Team? He would have a whole lot less if he had a team in a smaller market.

The best thing he has done for the franchise and us fans was recognize they needed to win for it to work. I'm not saying he had it easy by any means we all know the financial risk he took. And there is that the irony of it all. He had urgency! That's what he needs to get back. Instead he is ridiculously wealthy living it up without a care as long as we tune in on game day or show up with our wallets open. I've never seen anyone in management so complacent in my life. Then again he's already said he would fire himself if it were someone else so why shouldn't he be?

If you know the Cowboys history then you know what poor shape the team was in when Jerry bought it. It was losing money! The stadium stunk and the team was losing almost every game. Only the diehards still cared about the Cowboys. If you have issue with that description of what was going on with the Cowboys at that time then you are just in denial. Jerry brought this team back to relevance.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

This is depressing.

The odds are against us.

Now what?

Good post, old man.
There is a lot in what you say.

What we are on is a costly, horrible 4-year reign by Dak.
Then Jerry admits defeat writes off $80 million in debt and tanks for a QB. Someone with a surname of Jones.
Lol jk blokes!
But we can throw away the next 5 years.
To use the Texas vernacular, "It aint happening."