Why do we continually struggle?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
102-74 over the past 11 years. 6th best in NFL.

People like to act like we didn't beat a very good Seattle team in the playoffs.

It's not about getting over struggles. It's about going from a good team to a great team.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
102-74 over the past 11 years. 6th best in NFL.

People like to act like we didn't beat a very good Seattle team in the playoffs.

It's not about getting over struggles. It's about going from a good team to a great team.
We beat a very good team in the playoffs. Yay!!!!

Then lost to one the following week.

There has been no improvement in the teams post season success.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I agree with that.

Now, how is this team going about that?

Good question.

We need a DT and S and the defense will be stacked. Add in a TE or someone else to work the middle of the field and the offense will be stacked talentwise.

Talent is not really the issue. Offensive gameplanning is issue number 1.

I don't see VFA as the answer personally.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It's fair to blame Jerry for everything. It's fair to blame every owner for everything.

But talent acquisition and cap management have been good lately. The problem has been coaching. The overhaul last season was pretty good, and we course corrected mid season. Now we finally dumped Linehan, and will hopefully turn management of the defense over to Richard. Sounds like progress.

Garrett is still a liability on game day. I suspect in other ways unseen.

"Woe is us, Jerry screws everything up" overgeneralizes. Jerry has always had his upsides and his downsides. For some things he's running a better front office. He's better handling risk. He spends to support the team. We've been spending smart for a while. Garrett and Garrett guys are the only problems left.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I get it. You will be an entitled malcontent only satisfied with a SB win.
As much as I don't like him I've stated numerous times I would extend Garrett if we made a NFCCG. The idea that we have been successful because we've had a winning record in the regular season I just don't get.

gmb1

Reaction score
Why we struggle? Jerry's deal with the devil ended back in the 90s. LMAO

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's not so hard to understand how to win in this league accomplishing it is another Theory. You win through the middle. Your Center your defensive tackle your middle linebacker your strong safety. Obviously quarterback LOL we haven't had a defensive tackle since the manster.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Why we struggle? Jerry's deal with the devil ended back in the 90s. LMAO

Maybe it's my fault. I remember watching Super Bowl XXX and the Cowboys led, 20-17, and the Steelers had the ball.

I said out loud "just win this game and I don't care if they ever win another Super Bowl". Literally two plays later Larry Brown got his second pick and the Cowboys scored the clinching touchdown off of it.

Now I'm hoping some sort of higher power wasn't listening to me that night.....

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Jerry bought the team... get over it!
I don't care that he owns it. Never said I did. What bothers me is his track record as GM over the last 2+ decades. I understand you're happy with it. I'm not. Get over it.

kskboys

Reaction score
It's not so hard to understand how to win in this league accomplishing it is another Theory. You win through the middle. Your Center your defensive tackle your middle linebacker your strong safety. Obviously quarterback LOL we haven't had a defensive tackle since the manster.
Well, Glover and Casillas and Lett. But we haven't had one since Tuna left. Because it's not our priority. Because we don't understand the effect of complete disruptive DLines.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Well, Glover and Casillas and Lett. But we haven't had one since Tuna left. Because it's not our priority. Because we don't understand the effect of complete disruptive DLines.
This is a deep draft at DT, it seems.
Hopefully they remember than Rams game when they are picking at 58.

Verdict

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread but the topic is probably of interest.

Somebody asked why we have not been successful as a team.

You guys will have many answers and I have many questions as a fan for over 50 years.

Here is my answer to the question..

-----'---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They have not been successful becuz they take on too many hopeless headcases like Hardy and Gregory and Irvin and Rolando McLean.

They continually take on more like them in Austin, Claiborne, Carr and others who either can not stay healthy or under perform but have big contracts.

Now we have resigned Lee who never can finish a season and resigned Witten who bless his heart can't get deeper than a 5 yd. turn around pass.

This is depressing.

It's a pattern of hoping they are right and depending on a core of stars to carry the load and hope the rest come along.

Fully about 25 % of the roster is not productive and cannot contribute much.

Special teams is a joke..we have nobody who can return a kick past 10 yards and will not make fixing it a priority.

Jimster used to say you had to win 2/3rd of the offense, defense and special teams to succeed.

We win on offense or fight to a stalemate, we fall behind on defense and have to mount furious 4th Qt. comebacks and our kicking game is average with no returns to speak of.

Last year we were very lucky in the second half of the year that both the Commanders and Philly had QB problems and we caught them.

Do not plan on that again.

The odds are against us.

Now what?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's the off season and FA has not improved anything and not much has changed except we have lost 4 starters in Swaim, Gregory, Irvin and and a LBer to KC again..

and signed some camp bodies at TE and safety and a rotation DL.

This is a significant net loss so far and I am not looking forward to the draft as we are too far down to expect anything that is going to help replace these losses.

Add to that our schedule in 2019 will be more difficult this year and I am trying to see where to be positive.

I think I need some help.

:huh:
It's not any one thing. Initially we were doomed because of bad contracts early on in free agency and cap hell, as well as poor coaching (The Mad Poodle).

Then it was bad trades, believing we were one player away when we weren't. Over and over.

Then it was bad drafting. Then it was changing defenses.

Then it was the non catch times two.

Now we are hanging on to Lee and Witten like they are in their prime.

It's a lot of different things.

It's a new season. Be positive. Wait for the draft. Enjoy the ride.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread but the topic is probably of interest.

Somebody asked why we have not been successful as a team.

You guys will have many answers and I have many questions as a fan for over 50 years.

Here is my answer to the question..

-----'---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They have not been successful becuz they take on too many hopeless headcases like Hardy and Gregory and Irvin and Rolando McLean.

They continually take on more like them in Austin, Claiborne, Carr and others who either can not stay healthy or under perform but have big contracts.

Now we have resigned Lee who never can finish a season and resigned Witten who bless his heart can't get deeper than a 5 yd. turn around pass.

This is depressing.

It's a pattern of hoping they are right and depending on a core of stars to carry the load and hope the rest come along.

Fully about 25 % of the roster is not productive and cannot contribute much.

Special teams is a joke..we have nobody who can return a kick past 10 yards and will not make fixing it a priority.

Jimster used to say you had to win 2/3rd of the offense, defense and special teams to succeed.

We win on offense or fight to a stalemate, we fall behind on defense and have to mount furious 4th Qt. comebacks and our kicking game is average with no returns to speak of.

Last year we were very lucky in the second half of the year that both the Commanders and Philly had QB problems and we caught them.

Do not plan on that again.

The odds are against us.

Now what?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's the off season and FA has not improved anything and not much has changed except we have lost 4 starters in Swaim, Gregory, Irvin and and a LBer to KC again..

and signed some camp bodies at TE and safety and a rotation DL.

This is a significant net loss so far and I am not looking forward to the draft as we are too far down to expect anything that is going to help replace these losses.

Add to that our schedule in 2019 will be more difficult this year and I am trying to see where to be positive.

I think I need some help.

:huh:

I agree we take on some head cases but I will also say those were low risk high reward players.
Gregory is the only 1 that we used a high pick on in the 2nd rd, they rest came in on deals that they could release easily if things did not work out.