Why do we continually struggle?

dckid

Reaction score
Have you been paying attention the past 3 years? Guess which NFC team has won the most games in that time? THE DALLAS COWBOYS! Don't tell the Cowboys tradition of winning is not there anymore. We are on to something now, 2 division titles in 3 years. They need to build on that but the way they are running the team now they are getting better every season.
Of course I have been paying attention. Whatever Dallas has done since 1995 has not been sustainable. We have had 25 years of mediocrity. Throw in a playoff win in 2009, 2014 & 2018. Yes with DK and Zeke things seem to be getting better. I don’t see the team getting better next year. We haven’t put forth the effort to improve. Where are the incremental changes that need to happen? We are so damn impressed by the Cooper trade. We got lucky that it worked out. Process over results in the long term is how you win. What is the vision of this FO?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
If you know the Cowboys history then you know what poor shape the team was in when Jerry bought it. It was losing money! The stadium stunk and the team was losing almost every game. Only the diehards still cared about the Cowboys. If you have issue with that description of what was going on with the Cowboys at that time then you are just in denial. Jerry brought this team back to relevance.
Rude boy! He brought the franchise back to relevance, yes.
Then, without the football mind of Jimmy Johnson, Jerry let the team fester in mediocrity.

dckid

Reaction score
Really? Jipper I have always liked you from the old official forums but I disagree especially when the playoff loses are carbon copies of each other from previous years. In 2016 no pass rush, average to poor secondary breaks down gives up ground to lose game, 2014 same result, 2009 we lose the game the same way, 2007 same way with complete mental breakdowns, terrible penalities and uncharacteristic mistakes. Sean Lee not cover up Heath being clueless in the open field. He never gets fooled like that on a bootleg.

This organization is a neopotistic cesspool void of any sense of urgency or accountability. We have a GM/Owner and his son who fans praise for letting Dez go only to realize the idiot didn't sign or draft a wr worth a damn. Then they waste a 1st round pick trading for Cooper. Because of their football stupidity. Then when it comes to the interior DL they never get the players needed to succeed. They give up 273 rush yards and people talk about misdirection when that goes out the door when the DL gets a push. We were getting pushed back or stalemated which is a win for the OL of LA.

I would be shocked if they ever won a Super Bowl with the way this organization is ran.
Great post!! You will be called a naysayer.!

408Cowboy

Reaction score
If you know the Cowboys history then you know what poor shape the team was in when Jerry bought it. It was losing money! The stadium stunk and the team was losing almost every game. Only the diehards still cared about the Cowboys. If you have issue with that description of what was going on with the Cowboys at that time then you are just in denial. Jerry brought this team back to relevance.
Jerry made it the most valuable franchise in the universe according to Forbes. We know. He made money in ways the other owners never have and changed the business of the NFL. That's why he got the gold jacket.

You missed the entire point that the only reason that was possible was because of not only the built in fanbase that spanned the nation but that he also recognized it wouldn't work if they didn't win and win big. He knew it was the only way he wouldn't go under with an already sinking ship. He did or allowed Jimmy or whoever did it to make decisions that ultimately lead to the 90's dynasty. After the success started the marketing and branding and all the financial opportunities you're talking about became possible.

What have we had since all of that was achieved? Where is the need to win? The urgency he spoke of? He only had to "appear" to try and right the ship one more time since then and that was the Parcells hire. Then he let it be known it was just for a new stadium proving without a doubt championship football had become secondary to his bank account. So bravo I'm glad your happy to celebrate Jerry's bank account.

And don't get started on denial after you refused to aknowledge the last 23 years just a few days ago. You went straight from celebrating and praising the Herschel Walker trade to Jerry Jones made the Cowboys a financial success in what one or two days? Maybe it's because the last 23 years happened and maybe they didn't? I have a feeling you'll tell me when you finally make up your mind.

kskboys

Reaction score
You can't win the argument so you resort to insults? I comprehend just fine. If you know the Cowboys history then you know what poor shape the team was in when Jerry bought it. It was losing money! The stadium stunk and the team was losing almost every game. Only the diehards still cared about the Cowboys. If you have issue with that description of what was going on with the Cowboys at that time then you are just in denial. Jerry brought this team back to relevance.

Actually, that's what I was thinking about you. I know you think you were being clever w/ your little insults, but you really weren't.

No, you don't comprehend at all. Jerry brought the Cowboys back. I've never argued w/ this. However, you claimed that he "made the Cowboys". This is completely false.

Seriously, dude, if you don't like the insults being flung, stop flinging them. I agree, they're cheap and grade schoolish.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Of course I have been paying attention. Whatever Dallas has done since 1995 has not been sustainable. We have had 25 years of mediocrity. Throw in a playoff win in 2009, 2014 & 2018. Yes with DK and Zeke things seem to be getting better. I don’t see the team getting better next year. We haven’t put forth the effort to improve. Where are the incremental changes that need to happen? We are so damn impressed by the Cooper trade. We got lucky that it worked out. Process over results in the long term is how you win. What is the vision of this FO?
It's mid-March and you have written off 2019 for the Cowboys. Why am I even talking to you? BYE

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Rude boy! He brought the franchise back to relevance, yes.
Then, without the football mind of Jimmy Johnson, Jerry let the team fester in mediocrity.
And the last 3 years they are turning it around again. Let's not pretend this team is going in the right direction.

kskboys

Reaction score
And the last 3 years they are turning it around again. Let's not pretend this team is going in the right direction.
Don't know why not. I think they're headed in the right direction.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry made it the most valuable franchise in the universe according to Forbes. We know. He made money in ways the other owners never have and changed the business of the NFL. That's why he got the gold jacket.

You missed the entire point that the only reason that was possible was because of not only the built in fanbase that spanned the nation but that he also recognized it wouldn't work if they didn't win and win big. He knew it was the only way he wouldn't go under with an already sinking ship. He did or allowed Jimmy or whoever did it to make decisions that ultimately lead to the 90's dynasty. After the success started the marketing and branding and all the financial opportunities you're talking about became possible.

What have we had since all of that was achieved? Where is the need to win? The urgency he spoke of? He only had to "appear" to try and right the ship one more time since then and that was the Parcells hire. Then he let it be known it was just for a new stadium proving without a doubt championship football had become secondary to his bank account. So bravo I'm glad your happy to celebrate Jerry's bank account.

And don't get started on denial after you refused to aknowledge the last 23 years just a few days ago. You went straight from celebrating and praising the Herschel Walker trade to Jerry Jones made the Cowboys a financial success in what one or two days? Maybe it's because the last 23 years happened and maybe they didn't? I have a feeling you'll tell me when you finally make up your mind.
Jimmy Johnson only won 2 SBs. You can't possibly believe that last SB win was because of Barry Switzer, no it was Jerry Jones keeping the team together and hungry. I think you just hate the man and can't give him credit for anything. You so-called fans that hate Jerry are hard to deal with. It amazes me what you people fixate on while ignoring all the good Jerry has done. You are unappreciative people.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Actually, that's what I was thinking about you. I know you think you were being clever w/ your little insults, but you really weren't.

No, you don't comprehend at all. Jerry brought the Cowboys back. I've never argued w/ this. However, you claimed that he "made the Cowboys". This is completely false.

Seriously, dude, if you don't like the insults being flung, stop flinging them. I agree, they're cheap and grade schoolish.
I've never insulted you unless you consider getting your butt kicked in an argument an insult. Grow the hell up.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson only won 2 SBs. You can't possibly believe that last SB win was because of Barry Switzer, no it was Jerry Jones keeping the team together and hungry. I think you just hate the man and can't give him credit for anything. You so-called fans that hate Jerry are hard to deal with. It amazes me what you people fixate on while ignoring all the good Jerry has done. You are unappreciative people.
I never said he won 3. I never directly linked anyone person to the sole reason for the teams success back then. So if you may be so kind I would like you to point out where I did.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I never said he won 3. I never directly linked anyone person to the sole reason for the teams success back then. So if you may be so kind I would like you to point out where I did.
I have better things to do with my time. BYE.

kskboys

Reaction score
I've never insulted you unless you consider getting your butt kicked in an argument an insult. Grow the hell up.
Now that's a riot!!!!! Why is it the guy who is losing the argument pathetically tries to proclaim himself the winner? Dude, that is so sad.
The Cowboys in 1989 were losing money and sucked bad. Are you not old enough to remember that? No one outside of Texas gave a crap about them anymore. Jerry Jones was laughed at for paying so much for them at the time. You must have been one of those fans that didn't understand how bad it had gotten for them by the time Jerry bought it. Sure they had had some glory days and won 2 superbowls in the '70s but the '80s ruined the team. Texas Stadium was a horrible stadium by the time Jerry bought the team. Thank him for re-making the Cowboys and restoring their repretation. You are just ungreatful or not old enough to remember it all.
And I take it you don't possess the mental capacity to see the insult in this?

reddyuta

Reaction score
bringing back Lee and Witten was beyond pathetic and not in line with their penny pinching ways,we could have used that money on Earl

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread but the topic is probably of interest.

Somebody asked why we have not been successful as a team.

You guys will have many answers and I have many questions as a fan for over 50 years.

Here is my answer to the question..

-----'---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They have not been successful becuz they take on too many hopeless headcases like Hardy and Gregory and Irvin and Rolando McLean.

They continually take on more like them in Austin, Claiborne, Carr and others who either can not stay healthy or under perform but have big contracts.

Now we have resigned Lee who never can finish a season and resigned Witten who bless his heart can't get deeper than a 5 yd. turn around pass.

This is depressing.

It's a pattern of hoping they are right and depending on a core of stars to carry the load and hope the rest come along.

Fully about 25 % of the roster is not productive and cannot contribute much.

Special teams is a joke..we have nobody who can return a kick past 10 yards and will not make fixing it a priority.

Jimster used to say you had to win 2/3rd of the offense, defense and special teams to succeed.

We win on offense or fight to a stalemate, we fall behind on defense and have to mount furious 4th Qt. comebacks and our kicking game is average with no returns to speak of.

Last year we were very lucky in the second half of the year that both the Commanders and Philly had QB problems and we caught them.

Do not plan on that again.

The odds are against us.

Now what?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's the off season and FA has not improved anything and not much has changed except we have lost 4 starters in Swaim, Gregory, Irvin and and a LBer to KC again..

and signed some camp bodies at TE and safety and a rotation DL.

This is a significant net loss so far and I am not looking forward to the draft as we are too far down to expect anything that is going to help replace these losses.

Add to that our schedule in 2019 will be more difficult this year and I am trying to see where to be positive.

I think I need some help.

:huh:

Visual Aids

4d274937e8470.image.jpg

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Put words in my mouth then run when asked to prove it. I was even polite in my request.
I didn't put words in your mouth either so there is nothing to prove to you. I have an opinion about the Cowboys that you disagree with and that's just fine with me. We can disagree. Why must we endlessly go back and forth about it. Enough already!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Now that's a riot!!!!! Why is it the guy who is losing the argument pathetically tries to proclaim himself the winner? Dude, that is so sad.

And I take it you don't possess the mental capacity to see the insult in this?
No insult there at all. Just me kicking your butt in this debate. You can't counter it so you cry as if I insulted you. Just leave it alone and accept you lost.

Noclaf

Reaction score
It's now perfectly clear who should get the credit for the 90s and it sure is not anyone named Jones.