Why do we continually struggle?

Hadenough

Reaction score
The struggle will always be there in Dallas because the Dallas Cowboys are never as good as the fans think they are! The Commanders had the division lead until smith broke his leg. Dallas played the eagles twice and both times had Wentz playing with a fracture in his back. Eli is moving like an 80 year old man. Cowboys win the division by default and the fans think they muscled their way to the top.

dckid

Reaction score
It's mid-March and you have written off 2019 for the Cowboys. Why am I even talking to you? BYE
Joe, it’s frustration. I don’t think anyone is writing them off. My expectation is now not as high as it was after the Rams loss. We haven’t moved the needle at all. Let’s hope it’s a great draft again.

dckid

Reaction score
The struggle will always be there in Dallas because the Dallas Cowboys are never as good as the fans think they are! The Commanders had the division lead until smith broke his leg. Dallas played the eagles twice and both times had Wentz playing with a fracture in his back. Eli is moving like an 80 year old man. Cowboys win the division by default and the fans think they muscled their way to the top.
Good points but a lot of times that is football. Good play is how you get your breaks.
We capitalized against the Hawks when they forgot how to pass, but I will take that win.
I don’t know our identity. I do not see what the FO is trying to build. Eagles and Skins have gotten better we have gone backwards.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Joe, it’s frustration. I don’t think anyone is writing them off. My expectation is now not as high as it was after the Rams loss. We haven’t moved the needle at all. Let’s hope it’s a great draft again.
It really makes you wonder why they havent done anything to better the team! I didnt like the Witten or Lee signings because they should moving forward away from the old has beens.

dckid

Reaction score
It really makes you wonder why they havent done anything to better the team! I didnt like the Witten or Lee signings because they should moving forward away from the old has beens.
Yes, we should have cut the cord on those two.
We can still make an impact. Tre Boston would be a nice player to settle for at Safety.
Wilkerson is a distressed asset to pickup.
Suh might be able to be has @ 1 year for 8 million
Jared Cook is older but worth it.

So the FO does have a chance to redeem themselve, I just hope they are back from vacation.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread but the topic is probably of interest.

Somebody asked why we have not been successful as a team.

You guys will have many answers and I have many questions as a fan for over 50 years.

Here is my answer to the question..

-----'---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They have not been successful becuz they take on too many hopeless headcases like Hardy and Gregory and Irvin and Rolando McLean.

They continually take on more like them in Austin, Claiborne, Carr and others who either can not stay healthy or under perform but have big contracts.

Now we have resigned Lee who never can finish a season and resigned Witten who bless his heart can't get deeper than a 5 yd. turn around pass.

This is depressing.

It's a pattern of hoping they are right and depending on a core of stars to carry the load and hope the rest come along.

Fully about 25 % of the roster is not productive and cannot contribute much.

Special teams is a joke..we have nobody who can return a kick past 10 yards and will not make fixing it a priority.

Jimster used to say you had to win 2/3rd of the offense, defense and special teams to succeed.

We win on offense or fight to a stalemate, we fall behind on defense and have to mount furious 4th Qt. comebacks and our kicking game is average with no returns to speak of.

Last year we were very lucky in the second half of the year that both the Commanders and Philly had QB problems and we caught them.

Do not plan on that again.

The odds are against us.

Now what?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's the off season and FA has not improved anything and not much has changed except we have lost 4 starters in Swaim, Gregory, Irvin and and a LBer to KC again..

and signed some camp bodies at TE and safety and a rotation DL.

This is a significant net loss so far and I am not looking forward to the draft as we are too far down to expect anything that is going to help replace these losses.

Add to that our schedule in 2019 will be more difficult this year and I am trying to see where to be positive.

I think I need some help.
:huh:
What is success? If its just having a winning team then we are successful because we do have the second most wins in the NFL and 2 division titles since Dak has taken over. Which should be a shock to all considering when Dak took over we would have been happy with 8-8. If success is winning a SB then only 1 team is successful every year. ANYONE that says that they thought when Romo went down that we would have 3 winning seasons without him and 2 division championships is lying.

So define success if winning does not qualify. And if winning SB is the only qualifying factor then we only have 5 successful seasons in our NFL history.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Yes, we should have cut the cord on those two.
We can still make an impact. Tre Boston would be a nice player to settle for at Safety.
Wilkerson is a distressed asset to pickup.
Suh might be able to be has @ 1 year for 8 million
Jared Cook is older but worth it.

So the FO does have a chance to redeem themselve, I just hope they are back from vacation.
The addition of Witten will prevent them from adding Cook. I really like the idea of Boston and Wilkerson. Suh I think is lazy even though his potential is high he would be vacationing in Dallas.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

So, because Wentz and Smith got hurt last season, the Cowboys don’t get credit for winning the division 3 of the last 5 years? Hell, even if you simply discredit 2018 because Smith and Wentz got hurt, why not give the Cowboys credit for 2015 when Romo got hurt? Wouldn’t that be fair?

Hadenough

Reaction score
So, because Wentz and Smith got hurt last season, the Cowboys don’t get credit for winning the division 3 of the last 5 years? Hell, even if you simply discredit 2018 because Smith and Wentz got hurt, why not give the Cowboys credit for 2015 when Romo got hurt? Wouldn’t that be fair?
This isnt about giving Wentz or Smith credit for what could of been. Its more about the Cowboys were in a such an opportunistic situation once they went down. Im talking about last year not Romos days!! So yeah the Cowboys had it easy since the ther teams in the division were down a starting QB. But if you want to point to 2015 yeah the other teams were lucky Romo went down.

kskboys

Reaction score
What is success? If its just having a winning team then we are successful because we do have the second most wins in the NFL and 2 division titles since Dak has taken over. Which should be a shock to all considering when Dak took over we would have been happy with 8-8. If success is winning a SB then only 1 team is successful every year. ANYONE that says that they thought when Romo went down that we would have 3 winning seasons without him and 2 division championships is lying.

So define success if winning does not qualify. And if winning SB is the only qualifying factor then we only have 5 successful seasons in our NFL history.
Success is being in super bowl contention, or working your way toward it. Many different ways to look at it, but success this offseason would be shoring up S and DT and forming a disruptive DFront so we can beat the good QB's you generally face in the playoffs.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I posted this in another thread but the topic is probably of interest.

Somebody asked why we have not been successful as a team.

You guys will have many answers and I have many questions as a fan for over 50 years.

Here is my answer to the question..

-----'---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They have not been successful becuz they take on too many hopeless headcases like Hardy and Gregory and Irvin and Rolando McLean.

They continually take on more like them in Austin, Claiborne, Carr and others who either can not stay healthy or under perform but have big contracts.

Now we have resigned Lee who never can finish a season and resigned Witten who bless his heart can't get deeper than a 5 yd. turn around pass.

This is depressing.

It's a pattern of hoping they are right and depending on a core of stars to carry the load and hope the rest come along.

Fully about 25 % of the roster is not productive and cannot contribute much.

Special teams is a joke..we have nobody who can return a kick past 10 yards and will not make fixing it a priority.

Jimster used to say you had to win 2/3rd of the offense, defense and special teams to succeed.

We win on offense or fight to a stalemate, we fall behind on defense and have to mount furious 4th Qt. comebacks and our kicking game is average with no returns to speak of.

Last year we were very lucky in the second half of the year that both the Commanders and Philly had QB problems and we caught them.

Do not plan on that again.

The odds are against us.

Now what?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's the off season and FA has not improved anything and not much has changed except we have lost 4 starters in Swaim, Gregory, Irvin and and a LBer to KC again..

and signed some camp bodies at TE and safety and a rotation DL.

This is a significant net loss so far and I am not looking forward to the draft as we are too far down to expect anything that is going to help replace these losses.

Add to that our schedule in 2019 will be more difficult this year and I am trying to see where to be positive.

I think I need some help.

:huh:

No, it comes down to 2 issues.

1. Roster
Up until about the past 5 years Jerry operated on a "1 player away philosophy".

That resulted in poor decisions such as:
Brandon Carr 50M
Joey Galloway Two 1st round picks
Roy WR Williams 1st, 3rd and 5th (iirc)
Trade up for Claiborne

2. Not Roster Related

Coaching limitations

Even Parcells brought outdated scheme concepts with his run defense 2-gap 3-4.

Wade was a good DC but terrible HC.

Garrett is Garrett.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
No insult there at all. Just me kicking your butt in this debate. You can't counter it so you cry as if I insulted you. Just leave it alone and accept you lost.
You've made it pretty clear you're not a Dallas Cowboys fan. You're more a Jerry Jones fan than anything.

Fire407

Reaction score
I think if Smith isn't hurt, then Washington probably wins the division. They had a two game lead at that point. Not sure what you mean about Romo. Everyone everywhere says we sucked that year because Romo got hurt. I don't see anyone saying we should have won the division without Romo, although I think a decent head coach would have gotten another two or three wins with the backup QBs.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think if Smith isn't hurt, then Washington probably wins the division. They had a two game lead at that point. Not sure what you mean about Romo. Everyone everywhere says we sucked that year because Romo got hurt. I don't see anyone saying we should have won the division without Romo, although I think a decent head coach would have gotten another two or three wins with the backup QBs.
The skins may have won with Smith healthy, but the point is you have to play with your circumstances, and if it can be said the only reason the Skins or Eagles didn’t win the division this past year is because their QBs got hurt, then why can’t it be said the only reason the Skins won in 2015 was because Romo got hurt? After all, the Skins won the division with a 9-7 record that year, and the Cowboys had won the division the year before. In the end,the Cowboys have won the division 3 of the last 5 years, and the two years they didnt win they had they own very adverse conditions, so it’s not fair to act as if it’s a fluke the Cowboys have been fairing as well as they have within the division in recent years.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
If you know the Cowboys history then you know what poor shape the team was in when Jerry bought it. It was losing money! The stadium stunk and the team was losing almost every game. Only the diehards still cared about the Cowboys. If you have issue with that description of what was going on with the Cowboys at that time then you are just in denial. Jerry brought this team back to relevance.
And the die hards won with 3 SB’s