Why do we have Big Mike

Diehardblues

Reaction score
MM was hired to take this team further or deeper in the playoffs. Based on the actions taken doesn’t appear he was hired to fix an offense which didn’t appear to need fixing by actions taken.

Instead we thought we had the OC , QB and talent in place but the overall leadership wasn’t enough . At least I think that was the general consensus. That our former HC was holding this team back .

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
I don’t recall anyone giving McCarthy credit for the offense in the first few weeks….but he deserves blame for the last few weeks?
No, not blaming MM - some us us wondered how much input he had in the offense cause it sure seemed Moore grew as a OC in the off season, a reasonable assumption is that he worked with Moore and gave some input, but yes Moore did get the lions share of the credit.

All I'm saying is MM has the experience, he's been to the SB, defenses seem to have figured out Moore and it sure seems like he aint adjusting well.
I would think that MM could offer some advise on how to get this offense back on track.

HungryLion

Reaction score
No but the question stands...

Do you not think he can bring something to the offense?

I think it’s a fair question to ask.

My biggest thing is. I do expect him to oversee “fixing” the offense.

However, ultimately as the head coach. I am going to judge him based on the teams ultimate results. I don’t care how he does it. Get this team to an NFC title game or beyond. That’s it.

If the cowboys go on a streak in the playoffs and make it to an NFC title game or super bowl. Nobody is going to care about a rough patch in the middle of the season.

That’s my mindset at least.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not sure our issue on offense is with coaching or adjustments , etc.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think it’s a fair question to ask.

My biggest thing is. I do expect him to oversee “fixing” the offense.

However, ultimately as the head coach. I am going to judge him based on the teams ultimate results. I don’t care how he does it. Get this team to an NFC title game or beyond. That’s it.

If the cowboys go on a streak in the playoffs and make it to an NFC title game or super bowl. Nobody is going to care about a rough patch in the middle of the season.

That’s my mindset at least.
Right

That’s why he was hired. Cause we thought our HC wax holding us back. MM was supposed to take us to next level.

If it turns out it’s not our coaching, then what?

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
I know he already does bring something to the offense every week. Kellen is not doing this alone.
Well between the both of them, they aint figuring this thing out too well, cause it seems the play calling and plays are a whole lot different from the first part of the season to what it is these last few weeks.

I mean how many times are we going to run between the tackles into a brick wall, and throw that bubble/WR screen.

exciter

Reaction score
OK here's a question - why did Jerry hire MM.

Isn't he the offensive minded Super Bowl winning coach that coached the great Aaron Rodgers...surely he should be able to figure out how to get the offense going.

I mean Moore is super green and its showing, surly with all his experience he can give this kid some kind of guidance.

Why is he "clean" in all this - all of us are blaming Moore, Philbin, the O-line, Zeke, Dak and the WRs even the water boy, but I dont see one thread calling MM out.
Jason Garrett was no longer available!

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
No but the question stands...

Do you not think he can bring something to the offense?
He brings something to the entire team Look at the drafts Jerry is not doing things the same way these days MM changed that for the good.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
McCarthy was hired because he has experience and a Super Bowl win. There isn’t a lot a head coach can do when their QB isn’t playing well. He’s certainly not going to bench Dak. The OL issues and lack of running game is one of the reasons I believe Dak is struggling. Hopefully this isn’t what it’s going to be the rest of the season with Dak or it will be a quick exit in the playoffs.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
He brings something to the entire team Look at the drafts Jerry is not doing things the same way these days MM changed that for the good.
And that great, but his job doesn't stop there - ultimately he's the one responsible for the results on the field - what good is talent if you cant maximize it.

gmb1

Reaction score
The same reason Wade Phillips couldn't pick his own OC. :rolleyes:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
The O-Line coach surely isn’t helping. But MM is having trouble with clock management. Not seeing adjustments being made. Some day this may come out as to what’s happening.
Would love to see MM call the plays in a game..

So would I. MM expected to be the play caller until he was told different.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
And that great, but his job doesn't stop there - ultimately he's the one responsible for the results on the field - what good is talent if you cant maximize it.
We are winning Will we get better this season? I hope we peak at just the right time. Defense is getting better and I like it.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Well between the both of them, they aint figuring this thing out too well, cause it seems the play calling and plays are a whole lot different from the first part of the season to what it is these last few weeks.

I mean how many times are we going to run between the tackles into a brick wall, and throw that bubble/WR screen.
Yeah, they are totally failing with the team at 9-4 and still in control of their own destiny. :rolleyes: They have played very well against the best teams on their schedule which tells me they rise to the level of their competition. Not every play is going to be a success but they have had enough to get to where they are. That's indisputable so maybe you're critiquing them too harshly. What I'm observing here is your inability to remember all the success on offense and your ability to remember the failure on offense causes your judgment to be skewed negatively with the job MM and KM are doing. Having the #2 offense in the NFL is not failure.

Last edited:

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
Jerry hired Mike for the same reason he hired Garrett because he will do whatever Jerry asks him to do , start whomever Jerry wants him to start , bench whomever Jerry wants him to bench , coach with whomever else Jerry hires . He hired him to be a yes man .

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score

Until they start or until it is next season

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think the question from the OP is valid. That said however MM oversees the whole team, not just the offense. So if you are to bash him for the offensive performance you also have to praise him for the defensive performance. Tough to be too critical of a HC that is 9-4 with the division basically wrapped up with 4 to go.

If they cant get this turned around on offense and end up with a first round playoff exit MM will certainly get his share of blame.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
We are winning Will we get better this season? I hope we peak at just the right time. Defense is getting better and I like it.
Yes D has definitely upped its game, thats what makes it so frustrating - imagine if we had the offense playing like it was the first part of the season...