Why do we have Big Mike

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry hired Mike for the same reason he hired Garrett because he will do whatever Jerry asks him to do , start whomever Jerry wants him to start , bench whomever Jerry wants him to bench , coach with whomever else Jerry hires . He hired him to be a yes man .
How do you expect an HC to respond to the GM? There is not one HC in this league that is going to disrespect and ignore his GM the way you seem to expect MM to disregard Jerry Jones. You have unrealistic expectations of the Cowboy's GM/HC relationship.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
How do you expect an HC to respond to the GM? There is not one HC in this league that is going to disrespect and ignore his GM the way you seem to expect MM to disregard Jerry Jones. You have unrealistic expectations of the Cowboy's GM/HC relationship.
MM does do it often and I like it

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Yeah, they are totally failing with the team at 9-4 and still in control of their own destiny. :rolleyes: They have played very well against the best teams on their schedule which tells me they rise to the level of their competition. Not every play is going to be a success but they have had enough to get to where they are. That's indisputable so maybe you're critiquing them too harshly. What I'm observing here is your inability to remember all the success on offense and your ability to remember the failure on offense causes your judgment to be skewed negatively with the job MM and KM are doing. Having the #2 offense in the NFL is not failure.
We are not talking about the record, I'm talking about how the offense is playing the last few weeks- cause do you really think we do any thing in the playoffs if the offense doesn't get in gear. Records and rankings will mean nothing once the post season starts.

As far as rising to the level of their competition - not so much since the Denver game - Denver was supposed to be a "one-off" and the KC game was the game that was going to see where we are...

That didn't turn out too good - and it wasn't that they lost - no shame in losing to KC in KC, it was how bad the KC D manhandled the Boys offense, that was bad.

And I'm not saying the offense is a "failure" - I'm saying they better get back to where they were or its gonna be a short stay in the playoffs.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Right

That’s why he was hired. Cause we thought our HC wax holding us back. MM was supposed to take us to next level.

If it turns out it’s not our coaching, then what?

Well. We all know the true issue with this franchise. We just have to hope a head coach is able to overcome it.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
With a shakey O-line and no Aaron Rodgers it's not so easy to look like some sort of coaching genius.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We are not talking about the record, I'm talking about how the offense is playing the last few weeks- cause do you really think we do any thing in the playoffs if the offense doesn't get in gear. Records and rankings will mean nothing once the post season starts.

As far as rising to the level of their competition - not so much since the Denver game - Denver was supposed to be a "one-off" and the KC game was the game that was going to see where we are...

That didn't turn out too good - and it wasn't that they lost - no shame in losing to KC in KC, it was how bad the KC D manhandled the Boys offense, that was bad.

And I'm not saying the offense is a "failure" - I'm saying they better get back to where they were or its gonna be a short stay in the playoffs.
So you want to cherry-pick bad games and ignore the games the prove you wrong. How convenient for you. This team is 9-4 and only getting better. How can you ignore this? To answer your question, I'm a Texas-Cowboy fan, not a nyc-cowboy fan so yes I do actually expect the Cowboys to do something in the playoffs.

HungryLion

Reaction score

One thing I think is interesting is how McCarthy and his mindset has also transformed the defense.

I know he is an “offense” head coach.

but. One of his primary focuses when taking over the team, has been transforming the defense into a more aggressive defense and to focus heavily on forcing turnovers.

The cowboys were one of the worst in the league at forcing turnovers for a decade prior to his arrival. In less than 2 seasons the defense is totally transformed into something we haven’t seen in a long long time. They are one of the best at forcing turnovers since halfway through last season.

I think McCarthy gets credit for that. He screwed up hiring Nolan but corrected that error by hiring Quinn.

I think McCarthy deserves a ton of credit for turning that around.

he is also a much more aggressive coach.

He also has transformed the cowboys training programs and use of analytics not just on game day but also in practices, training regimens, player rest, etc.

truth is. Big mike has brought a lot of this team, not just knowledge about running the offense.

so ultimately I just view his success/failure on total team success.

if the cowboys get to a Super Bowl with a meh offense but a defense that forces a ton of turnovers. I’m just fine with that.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
So you want to cherry-pick bad games and ignore the games the prove you wrong. How convenient for you. This team is 9-4 and only getting better. How can you ignore this? To answer your question, I'm a Texas-Cowboy fan, not a nyc-cowboy fan so yes I do actually expect the Cowboys to do something in the playoffs.
You're not getting it, its not about cherry picking game - its about an extended "slump" thats happening now.

As for the team getting better...well the D certainly is but the offense?

Anyway, I dont know what being from Texas or NYC has to do with anything but yeah if you think that they will go far, thats great and we all hope you're right.

But imo if the o continues to play like they been playing, I dont. In the end its all opinion and thats why we have these forums

just_catch_it

Reaction score
OK here's a question - why did Jerry hire MM.

Isn't he the offensive minded Super Bowl winning coach that coached the great Aaron Rodgers...surely he should be able to figure out how to get the offense going.

I mean Moore is super green and its showing, surly with all his experience he can give this kid some kind of guidance.

Why is he "clean" in all this - all of us are blaming Moore, Philbin, the O-line, Zeke, Dak and the WRs even the water boy, but I dont see one thread calling MM out.
Wait what?? Everyone knows the Great Aaron Rogers calls his own plays in Green Bay. For what it is worth Moore did say that Mighty Mike has been sitting in on the meetings to try to figure out what in the hell is going on with DAK and the offense.

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
Coaches hire their own staff everywhere , let’s start there .

DandyDon52

Reaction score
OK here's a question - why did Jerry hire MM.

Isn't he the offensive minded Super Bowl winning coach that coached the great Aaron Rodgers...surely he should be able to figure out how to get the offense going.

I mean Moore is super green and its showing, surly with all his experience he can give this kid some kind of guidance.

Why is he "clean" in all this - all of us are blaming Moore, Philbin, the O-line, Zeke, Dak and the WRs even the water boy, but I dont see one thread calling MM out.
he is clean due to he is not allowed to interfere at all with kellen and the offense. That was made clear when he was hired.
Kellen can do whatever he wants.
I guess mike could talk to him, but maybe not as that could be construed as interference.
It is just how jerry set it up lol.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have you seen the guy in action on the sidelines?
Captain Kangaroo?
Curley Howard?
Skipper from Gilligan's Island ?
(Young people be like wut?)

lukin2006

Reaction score
Is MM the head coach, or is Jones…maybe it’s Moore?

It’s the same old. Who’s in charge?

Nothing changes until the owner changes.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Because hiring Urban Meyer would have been a train wreck?
That's a good enough reason for me.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You're not getting it, its not about cherry picking game - its about an extended "slump" thats happening now.

As for the team getting better...well the D certainly is but the offense?

Anyway, I dont know what being from Texas or NYC has to do with anything but yeah if you think that they will go far, thats great and we all hope you're right.

But imo if the o continues to play like they been playing, I dont. In the end its all opinion and thats why we have these forums
No, it's you that isn't getting it. You keep saying, "if the offense continues to play like they have been". You seem to really be stuck on that phrase, so much so that you give it power. Your lack of faith in the offense can't see beyond those words. It's why you and I see things differently. I'm not stuck on those words as you are. I don't give them power. So I allow myself to believe the offense will get better. I believe the Cowboys will win out, giving them a good chance to claim a higher seed in the playoffs than the 4 seed. I haven't given up on the Cowboys earning the 1 seed. You however have your thinking stuck in a slump. It's not real, it's only perception but you allow it to keep your thinking negative. In the end, you are correct in saying it's all opinion. I choose to allow the power of positive thought see beyond the slump that you are stuck in.