Why do you think Jerry has kept Garrett around?

sideon

Reaction score
How so? Because the other team won, on a miracle play by one the greatest QB to ever play the game? Is that being out coached?
By getting blown out in the first half and once again having poor clock management in the 4th quarter.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You must first start with a fundamental truth about what Jerry looks for FIRST in a head coach:

COMFORT. Not the coach’s ability to win games (although that would be nice), not the coach’s ability to prepare or adjust, not their ability to draft and develop talent (JG is actually pretty good at that). With Jerry, COMFORT IS KING.

Jerry first wants to feel like his HC is a family member- a son that he can say or do anything with and not have to worry about silly NFL protocols like the HC picks his own staff, or the HC has control of the locker room, who starts and sits, and that the buck stops with him regarding player complaints or concerns. Jerry wants the comfort to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants without any objection.

Jerry does not want a HC who has the power of personality to compete with him for the “almighty credit” should his team ever win a SB again. Jason Garrett has strengths, and he’s certainly not a complete disaster. But he also is not anything like most NFL HCs who command great respect among NFL observers.

Garrett is certainly not the worst HC in the NFL. But with the most valuable and visible sports franchise in America, Jerry could certainly have a more talented and successful head coach. He has the money to outbid anyone for the best. But that’s not what he wants.

He values COMFORT above all else.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
You must first start with a fundamental truth about what Jerry looks for FIRST in a head coach:

COMFORT. Not the coach’s ability to win games (although that would be nice), not the coach’s ability to prepare or adjust, not their ability to draft and develop talent (JG is actually pretty good at that). With Jerry, COMFORT IS KING.

Jerry first wants to feel like his HC is a family member- a son that he can say or do anything with and not have to worry about silly NFL protocols like the HC picks his own staff, or the HC has control of the locker room, who starts and sits, and that the buck stops with him regarding player complaints or concerns. Jerry wants the comfort to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants without any objection.

Jerry does not want a HC who has the power of personality to compete with him for the “almighty credit” should his team ever win a SB again. Jason Garrett has strengths, and he’s certainly not a complete disaster. But he also is not anything like most NFL HCs who command great respect among NFL observers.

Garrett is certainly not the worst HC in the NFL. But with the most valuable and visible sports franchise in America, Jerry could certainly have a more talented and successful head coach. He has the money to outbid anyone for the best. But that’s not what he wants.

He values COMFORT above all else.
THIS IS A GREAT POST

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
In a way I do feel sorry for Jerry. He won 3 SBs in his first 7 years as the owner of the Dallas Cowboys, next to nothing since. He craves the limelight, but wants another SB win. He has gotten even more filthy rich than he was before the bought the team, but doesn't have the admiration of most of the fans. He did good in having Romo become the quarterback he did, as an udfa, but didn't get another SB win.

He has to balance the feeling of another SB win with letting some of the credit go to the coach, and the longer he goes without another title, the more the coach that is in place when (and if) he gets another one will certainly be looked upon as the guy who returned the team to glory (as Jimmy was viewed by many).

In other words, he has outstanding success in some areas but not the one he wants...

timb2

Reaction score
Why do you think Jerry has kept him around?
I think Jerry just wants to prove that he was right to hire him. I know JG represents himself and the team well, but his game management has not improved. I can't figure it out...what do you think ? This is a serious question, I'm not joking or trying to start any drama. Just curious
Jason Garrett is good in press conferences vs the stooges like Dave Campo & Wade Phillips who we figured out they were not in charge.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Jerry has failed at getting a SB without a Team That Jimmy Built.
This needs to stop being spouted. The reason is because that only one side of that argument is only presented. Jimmy never won a Superbowl without Jerry either. Jimmy Johnson needed Jerry Jones just as much as Jerry Jones needed Jimmy Johnson. Its just a tired argument that always finds its way in threads that are not relevant to that subject.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Exactly how did he get out-coached in that game?
Its just because they lost. What's hilarious about that is that its such a simplistic way of thinking. When the team loses Garrett was out-coached. When the team wins, Garrett does not get credit for out-coaching his counterpart.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I finally figured it out, Jason cusses at the players every time Jerry walks by. It’s that simple... :D

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Why do you think Jerry has kept Garrett around? where else is he going to find a guy with no balls to complain about anything.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
This needs to stop being spouted. The reason is because that only one side of that argument is only presented. Jimmy never won a Superbowl without Jerry either. Jimmy Johnson needed Jerry Jones just as much as Jerry Jones needed Jimmy Johnson. Its just a tired argument that always finds its way in threads that are not relevant to that subject.
Jimmy hadn't coached for 20 years trying to win one. He coached 4 years in Miami and made the playoffs 3 times with an aging team led by a QB that he couldn't get rid of. That was Dan Marino's team not Jimmy's. He had no chance to rebuild that team the way he wanted. Plus he had lost his drive to coach and quit. Not the same at all.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Jimmy hadn't coached for 20 years trying to win one. He coached 4 years in Miami and made the playoffs 3 times with an aging team led by a QB that he couldn't get rid of. That was Dan Marino's team not Jimmy's. He had no chance to rebuild that team the way he wanted. Plus he had lost his drive to coach and quit. Not the same at all.
You're making my point. Jimmy Johnson needed a GM/Owner that was a maverick that would make bold moves so that he can coach the team he wanted to coach. Like the specific moves or not, Jerry makes bold moves, and allows his coaches to do such if the coaches convince him its necessary to win. He traded Hershel Walker, allowed the benching of Drew Bledsoe, releasing of T.O. and Tony Romo, and most recently of course cutting Dez Bryant. Jerry Jones is loyal to players, but if he believes in the head coach (Jimmy, Parcells, Garrett) than he is more likely to go along with their requested moves. I have no doubt had Jerry would have released Marino if Jimmy made the case that it was necessary to win.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
We have to remember Jerry’s not interested in winning another Super Bowl if a HC steals his thunder like Jimmy did.

There’s not enough room in Dallas for an ego as big as Jerry’s and why Jason is perfect.

This right here.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Silver lining is Stephen. He will probably step in if we have another average year, override Jerry and force a change

Bull ......... Stephen is just Jerry 2.0 the cheaper version......... he is already saying how he wants Austin to get 12-24 carries a game ...... and he is not even the GM

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
You're making my point. Jimmy Johnson needed a GM/Owner that was a maverick that would make bold moves so that he can coach the team he wanted to coach. Like the specific moves or not, Jerry makes bold moves, and allows his coaches to do such if the coaches convince him its necessary to win. He traded Hershel Walker, allowed the benching of Drew Bledsoe, releasing of T.O. and Tony Romo, and most recently of course cutting Dez Bryant. Jerry Jones is loyal to players, but if he believes in the head coach (Jimmy, Parcells, Garrett) than he is more likely to go along with their requested moves. I have no doubt had Jerry would have released Marino if Jimmy made the case that it was necessary to win.
Jerry did what Jimmy told him to do. Do you thing Walker would have been traded if Jimmy didn't ask Jerry to? He didn't want to bench Bledsoe and start Romo. I remember Jerry's comments about that. So I'll give Jerry credit for letting Jimmy and Parcells run the team but that's it. He hasn't let any other coach have that power. As for Jimmy he was in the playoffs 3 straight years which is more than the clapper has ever done. So yea Jerry can be a great owner when he hires a top notch coach and gives them control over football matters. Unfortunately it's only happened twice. I don't think Garrett has that power and regardless he's proved he's only a mediocre coach at best.

fredp22

Reaction score
Bull ......... Stephen is just Jerry 2.0 the cheaper version......... he is already saying how he wants Austin to get 12-24 carries a game ...... and he is not even the GM
ur right. being hopeful I guess. I still think (and hope) tho that McClay will be taking over

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Yea you're right. Jimmy protested the trade and Jerry did what he wanted to do. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...nniversary-run-birthed-dallas-cowboys-dynasty
Once again, my original point is Jimmy needed Jerry too. Your contention is that Jimmy requested the trade, and Jerry complied. Thats the exact opposite of Jimmy wanting to get rid of Marino, but he couldn't in Miami. So you are admitting that Jimmy needed an owner/GM like Jerry that believed in his vision no?