Why do you think Jerry has kept Garrett around?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Once again, my original point is Jimmy needed Jerry too. Your contention is that Jimmy requested the trade, and Jerry complied. Thats the exact opposite of Jimmy wanting to get rid of Marino, but he couldn't in Miami. So you are admitting that Jimmy needed an owner/GM like Jerry that believed in his vision no?
Every good coach needs an owner that will do what he wants. Never said Jerry was a bad owner back then. He let Jimmy run the team and he did what Jimmy wanted him to do. If Jerry would have hired another great coach and listened to what he said we all would have been better off. Jerry would have went down in Cowboy history as a great owner. The only other coach he did that with was Parcells. Jerry forgot what made him successful and his ego won't let him change.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Jerry likes that Garrett starts meetings off with “How we doing, guys?”

CPanther95

Reaction score
He knows just how to jiggle the handle in the executive washroom to keep the toilet from running.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think there is a lot at play here.

One, he's comfortable with Garrett and I think Garrett doesn't give him much push back when Jerry makes a decision. Now whether that's because Garrett typically thinks like Jerry and Stephen or Garrett simply doesn't want to fight with him, who knows.

I also think Jerry truly believes what he says when he said Garrett is an investment. I think Jerry believes he can build a coach like a team. So he thinks by allowing Garrett to coach for as many seasons as he has and made the mistakes he has made, Jerry is building a better coach. And that like most of his investments, Garrett will pay off for him long term. It's a silly concept IMO but I think that's what Jerry believes.

I think he's also keenly aware of the criticism he's taken over the years for being impulsive and how it's hurt the team. So it's like he has to prove those people wrong and now stick with a coach for way longer than he should just to show that he's not impulsive.

In the end, Garrett has positives and negatives. Given the results of his 7 year run as head coach, the negatives have outweighed the positives. Jerry thinks that dynamic will flip. I suspect it won't.

Blackrain

Reaction score
You must first start with a fundamental truth about what Jerry looks for FIRST in a head coach:

COMFORT. Not the coach’s ability to win games (although that would be nice), not the coach’s ability to prepare or adjust, not their ability to draft and develop talent (JG is actually pretty good at that). With Jerry, COMFORT IS KING.

Jerry first wants to feel like his HC is a family member- a son that he can say or do anything with and not have to worry about silly NFL protocols like the HC picks his own staff, or the HC has control of the locker room, who starts and sits, and that the buck stops with him regarding player complaints or concerns. Jerry wants the comfort to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants without any objection.

Jerry does not want a HC who has the power of personality to compete with him for the “almighty credit” should his team ever win a SB again. Jason Garrett has strengths, and he’s certainly not a complete disaster. But he also is not anything like most NFL HCs who command great respect among NFL observers.

Garrett is certainly not the worst HC in the NFL. But with the most valuable and visible sports franchise in America, Jerry could certainly have a more talented and successful head coach. He has the money to outbid anyone for the best. But that’s not what he wants.

He values COMFORT above all else.

Great post totally agree . There are a lot of things Garrett dose well in the team building aspect of coaching along with keeping Jerry in his comfort Zone at all times .

Garretts game day coaching is his weak link . The guy is just not a someone who can think on the fly and make better adjustments than the coach across from him when it counts . Jerry is banking on this to improve but if there has been any progress it is at a snails pace . It is also made to look worse when the Eagles get a new coach totally transform a team in shambles into a champion under our noses .

My opinion is Garrett should stay but be promoted to assistant GM and we should get the best Coach money can buy. This experiment is really getting long in the tooth and the process needs a little fast tracking like the Eagles did .

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Plain and simple he wants to be right. After he screwed up half of Romo's career with a coach in training he now has to sit and wait for the "blind squirrel to find a nut" season so he can say "told you", even if he sets back the team years.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Plain and simple he wants to be right. After he screwed up half of Romo's career with a coach in training he now has to sit and wait for the "blind squirrel to find a nut" season so he can say "told you", even if he sets back the team years.

And he wants to be able to say he gave Garrett the job when he didn't have the experience needed, but was so smart he could tell Garrett was going to be a great coach way before any other owner, the "I'm smarter than the average bear"....

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why do you think Jerry has kept him around?
I think Jerry just wants to prove that he was right to hire him. I know JG represents himself and the team well, but his game management has not improved. I can't figure it out...what do you think ? This is a serious question, I'm not joking or trying to start any drama. Just curious
First of all you have to understand what Jerry is looking for in a HC along with his agendas in proving he’s a football guy in an effort to build a championship team without someone like Jimmy.

Jerry wants his due credit this time and a HC like Garrett who is inexperienced and unproven provides a perfect scenario for him.

Jerry is only interested in winning his way. Winning a championship without recieving credit will not fulfill his ambitions.

Johnny23

Reaction score
I've never said they don't play hard. He's a good talker and motivator, but you have to play smart football,especially when you aren't as talented as the other team. He was a good play caller, he needs to over rule Linehan when the situation calls for it
The screen that Micah Hyde picked in the playoff game on second and one after Zeke had single handed drove the team down the field is a fireable offense to me. That drive encapsulates all the problems and disappointments with the Dallas Cowboys. Why it never can get over the hump. Zeke the real OROY was pounding GB into submission and we gave them back momentum. Then on 3rd and 5 they pass on the last drive when they again should have run and bleed the clock more. It just baffles my mind.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Why do you think Jerry has kept him around?
I think Jerry just wants to prove that he was right to hire him. I know JG represents himself and the team well, but his game management has not improved. I can't figure it out...what do you think ? This is a serious question, I'm not joking or trying to start any drama. Just curious
Ok, Jason looks like he is Jerry's son from another woman. We don't know and he really could be! Or maybe Jason is the son Jerry wishes he had. Kinda crazy!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I said be serious! Lol!
He’s also believes in “Pound the Rock” or “The Process” philosophy which basically means don’t give up, fight and keep pounding away and the rock will eventually break. He’s building the team via the trenches and it’s already been paying off. I don’t know who to blame for the lack of depth last year behind Tyron and Lee, but that’s a definite miss by the organization. Garrett definitely deserves some flack for that as even if it wasn’t his decision not to go out and get someone, he didn’t fight hard enough if he also believed the depth wasn’t there.

Johnny23

Reaction score
By getting blown out in the first half and once again having poor clock management in the 4th quarter.
The screen pass to Beas when Zeke was singlehandedly ran the ball down the field.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I would love to sit down with Garrett and tell him millions of people around the world could see that Chaz Green in the Atlanta game was unable to handle his man and it would of been more important to take a TE and help him than have that TE running short passing routes. Just like years earlier Romo was sacked 7 times with the Commanders blitzing straight up the middle and it continued the whole game. How in the hell can you not make in game adjustments. Other coaches do.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I think Jerry just wants to prove that he was right to hire him.

That's it exactly, Garrett was Jerry's hand picked coach, for him to fire Garrett would be tantamount to saying "I made a mistake", and how often has Jerry said that about anybody? Even about Greg Hardy?

Think it would take at least two straight non-winning seasons for Jerry to let Garrett go, and even at that he would probably just do him like he did Kiffin - kick him upstairs to some advisory position, that way he could still say with a straight face that he didn't "fire" Garrett...

Hadenough

Reaction score
Don't think Jerry is in the least disappointed in Stephen, don't understand that part of your comment...
Not meant to be knock on Stephen at all. Maybe it's Jason's personality or he has known him and his family for so long or that maybe Jason is more like Jerry than Stephen is. We will never know.

Johnny23

Reaction score
1: Jerry sees a non-coordinator Head Coach as an administrative position that is primarily responsible for keeping the team motivated, scheduling practices, etc.

2: The prime motivation for Jerry to fire Garrett at this point would be if Jerry wanted a coordinator that he could only get if he made that person a Head Coach.

If the offense struggles in 2018, Jerry will blame Linehan.

If the defense struggles he will blame Marinelli.

If the overall talent fails he will blame McClay and the scouting dept.

Finally, if the team quits like it did in Wade's final 1/2 season, then Jerry will blame Garrett.

Stephen is much more likely to blame Garrett than Jerry: however, Stephen will not want to pay Garrett to go away. Garrett's is guaranteed to get paid for 2018 and 2019 regardless of whether he gets fired or not.

Stephen appears to have increased Linehan's power in the organization this offseason. It appears that Garrett will be completely out of the offensive game plan now. The concept of Linehan running Garrett's scheme appears to be over.

Even if the team succeeds in 2018, I would not be surprised if Stephen wanted to promote Linehan to HC in 2020 when Garrett's contract is over. Why pay Garrett and Linehan if Linehan can do both? Stephen can just pay himself the money saved.
so basically we are screwed for the foreseeable future then.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
so basically we are screwed for the foreseeable future then.
Pretty much have been screwed with Jerry since Jimmy team played out.

Garrett provides stability . Jerry can promote and sell the heck out 8-8. 1-7 or 5-11 is much harder to promote.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I would love to sit down with Garrett and tell him millions of people around the world could see that Chaz Green in the Atlanta game was unable to handle his man and it would of been more important to take a TE and help him than have that TE running short passing routes. Just like years earlier Romo was sacked 7 times with the Commanders blitzing straight up the middle and it continued the whole game. How in the hell can you not make in game adjustments. Other coaches do.

It's a process, what don't you understand about that?

:lmao: