Why do you think no decision has been announced yet?

Brax

Reaction score
Yes. This is the part that doesn't add up in that theory. The league works on one calendar and Jerry Jones on another. Teams are interviewing and signing head coaches NOW, not when the Cowboys decide they feel like doing something.
Jone way only counts in big D, this is the sad but true fact and the reason this team is so dysfunctional. Going to interesting how this all works out.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What are you basing this on? You honest think all other teams don't conduct exit meetings?

For a week? Yeah, I'm absolutely sure that "all other teams" don't operate this way. Are you grasping at straws to excuse the way they're handling this?

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
The first meeting was the Jones’ offering a different position. The second meeting was Garrett’s demands on accepting the position. The Werder leak is a negotiation tactic. The third meeting will be to hammer out the final details or decide to go separate ways.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t get all this talk, Jerry wants to just let the contract run out so he doesn’t have to fire Garrett. Fired not resigned? What’s the difference, all the fans know you are not wanted anymore. Just release him from his contract and be done with this stupid drama show!

Jerry owes the fans closure on this issue, and when I say closure, I mean no Garrett as HC!!!!

If that is actually the intent, these people are even dumber than I give them credit for. That they would actually wait two weeks so they can farcically say that 'he wasn't technically fired' is about the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
For a week? Yeah, I'm absolutely sure that "all other teams" don't operate this way. Are you grasping at straws to excuse the way they're handling this?
You missed the point. I'm not arguing the length of time. I'm not excusing anything. I was disagreeing that 31 other teams don't publicize every little thing. Jerry craves attention and fans and the media fall for it.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The older generation knows Jerry's tactics. It's really a no brainer because Jerry is taking the same path he took when hiring previous coaches. Some of us may have forgotten being Garrett's been the HC for so long. Here's a refresher course for the older fans and knowledge for the younger.

In 2000, after Jerry decided to move on from Gailey after seasons of 10-6 and 8-8, he didn’t name Campo head coach until Jan. 26, the week of the Super Bowl. And, by the way, since Jones knew after three consecutive 5-11 seasons under Campo he was going to make a change as soon as the season was over, he quickly hired Parcells, as a matter of fact, it was 17 years ago yesterday, Jan. 2, 2003. How's that for a coincidence.

In 2007, after Parcells decided to retire once again on Jan. 22, Jones took his ever-lovin’ time, seemingly conducting interviews with more than a half-dozen candidates before deciding on Phillips as the franchise’s seventh head coach, February 8th, four days after the Super Bowl.

Be patient. The good news is Garrett's clapping days on the Cowboys sideline is finally over.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The older generation knows Jerry's tactics. It's really a no brainer because Jerry is taking the same path he took when hiring previous coaches. Some of us may have forgotten being Garrett's been the HC for so long. Here's a refresher course for the older fans and knowledge for the younger.

In 2000, after Jerry decided to move on from Gailey after seasons of 10-6 and 8-8, he didn’t name Campo head coach until Jan. 26, the week of the Super Bowl. And, by the way, since Jones knew after three consecutive 5-11 seasons under Campo he was going to make a change as soon as the season was over, he quickly hired Parcells, as a matter of fact, it was 17 years ago yesterday, Jan. 2, 2003. How's that for a coincidence.

In 2007, after Parcells decided to retire once again on Jan. 22, Jones took his ever-lovin’ time, seemingly conducting interviews with more than a half-dozen candidates before deciding on Phillips as the franchise’s seventh head coach, February 8th, four days after the Super Bowl.

Be patient. The good news is Garrett's clapping days on the Cowboys sideline is finally over.
There you go, he's taken his time over the years. But fans want a juicy conspiracy.

punchnjudy

Reaction score
They probably offered JG a different position and the delay on that part of the news is him deciding whether to take it.

He might be trying to gauge other teams' interest through back channels as part of that process.

As far as hiring the replacement, there could be several reasons why Jerry isn't worried about losing his guy. Maybe a deal is already in the works or maybe it's someone who isn't on other teams' radars. Or maybe he really will go after Belichick (dreaming).

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If that is actually the intent, these people are even dumber than I give them credit for. That they would actually wait two weeks so they can farcically say that 'he wasn't technically fired' is about the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.
It is saving face for Garrett and saving money for Booger.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You missed the point. I'm not arguing the length of time. I'm not excusing anything. I was disagreeing that 31 other teams don't publicize every little thing. Jerry craves attention and fans and the media fall for it.

I don't see how that excuses the timing of this? I guess I'm not getting your point.

seamus18

Reaction score
But now that it’s been widely reported, how can the Cowboys just sit on the story like they are. Jane Slater says they haven’t informed coaches or players of the move. Yet, they haven’t come out and denied it to any news outlets. If it wasn’t true, you would think that they would have denied it in some way. Maybe they didn’t want it coming out as soon as it did, but now that it’s out, you would think that they would move one way or the other. I don’t think silence is the correct response.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Despite all evidence to the contrary, I think Jerry vacillated in his decision until, well, today. He may have felt a bit guilty about forcing Moore as OC on Garrett.

Who knows. At the end of the day, it was most likely Jerry being Jerry.
He forced Garrett onto Wade and didn't feel guilty/ He needs to stop with all this coach in training crap.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I don't see how that excuses the timing of this? I guess I'm not getting your point.
Research Jones and coaches departing. this is not out of the ordinary.
Fans are getting sucked.

Sydla

Reaction score
What are you basing this on? You honest think all other teams don't conduct exit meetings?

Why can't we just move on from Garrett like other teams have either during the season or immediately after it? In other words, did the Panthers conduct exit interviews and meet with Rivera over a week before firing him in order to pick his brain and glean information from him on players?

Did the Browns spend a week in meetings and such letting Kitchens conduct exit interviews and meet with him multiple times for informational purposes?

Their calculus was simple. Coach A didn't do a good enough job, therefore Coach A is being relieved of his duties. And that's it. They cut the cord. They rip off the band aid. They don't spend multiple meetings allowing their fired HC to have exit meetings and meet with owners over multiple days to discuss strategy, players, etc. Coach typically meets with his staff, then meets with the players as a group, says good bye and that's it.

The fact you think this process the Cowboys are using is normal is peculiar. Can you name another HC that was fired/relieved of his job that was given multiple meetings with the owner, as well as being able to conduct individual player exit interviews (where if you believe the reports, some of the players thought it was weird he had individual exit interviews and talked like he was going to be around)?