Why do you think no decision has been announced yet?

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
But now that it’s been widely reported, how can the Cowboys just sit on the story like they are. Jane Slater says they haven’t informed coaches or players of the move. Yet, they haven’t come out and denied it to any news outlets. If it wasn’t true, you would think that they would have denied it in some way. Maybe they didn’t want it coming out as soon as it did, but now that it’s out, you would think that they would move one way or the other. I don’t think silence is the correct response.

Well someone within or with direct knowledge is leaking. Werder is sure. Sturm and David Moore have not waivered from 100% he's gone and say it's been done days ago. I've honestly have never seen a group in the media so sure. As for why....Jerry is a strange bird. He has waited on news before....Dez, Romo, Gailey, etc. My main thing is the guy just loves the attention. This is 24 hour news now with the playoffs about to start and he is the story. It's embarrassing but it's Jerry. If this is happening after 8-8 and no playoffs, imagine if we won a game or two in the playoffs. Deep down I think he likes trolling the fans because he knows we think he's an idiot.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
I thought it would be fun to let everyone guess at why they think no decision has been made yet.

My theory is that *IF* the Cowboys are indeed not re-signing Garrett, the guy they want is on the staff of a playoff team, likely a highly seeded team with a bye week, so they know they can let Garrett finish out his contract and avoid actually "firing" him while still going after the guy they want once that happens.

What is your guess?
Two thoughts, one different than the other...

Jerry has been on the fence, knowing what needs to be done but unable to pull the trigger. Stephen leaked to Werder what was reported last night in part to pressure his Dad to get this thing done. If so, a bomb was dropped, and we'll see what the fallout is...

Another idea -- The Jones have already identified their coach and made a tentative deal. They must comply with the Rooney Rule, and being the Cowboys, given the Goodell relationship, they must be seen truly to have complied. In other words, if an interview is too obviously mere cover Goodell might decide to make an example of Dallas -- clearly he has a pattern of that, and he has enormous discretionary power.

By dawdling and appearing hesitant to let Garrett go, Dallas builds a very good case that it didn't have a wink and nod deal in place with his replacement. "See there! How could we have known what we were going to do? We weren't even sure we were letting Jason go!" So they let it play out, make a couple of interviews, then move forward with the coach they intended from the beginning to hire.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Fun theory for everyone to chew on - Jerry wants Garrett in the front office as "President of Football Operations" or whatever to be the spot Jerry is currently in above Will McClay. In that scenario Stephen is the Business side and Garrett does everything Jerry currently does except sign checks.

And the holdup is McClay and Stephen don't want it. Discuss.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have kept busy with other stuff, and not paying attention nor monitoring every station, radio or TV.
I just check in here to see any headlines every so often.
It gets done when it gets done. I have more important things to do right now.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Another idea -- The Jones have already identified their coach and made a tentative deal. They must comply with the Rooney Rule, and being the Cowboys, given the Goodell relationship, they must be seen truly to have complied. In other words, if an interview is too obviously mere cover Goodell might decide to make an example of Dallas -- clearly he has a pattern of that, and he has enormous discretionary power.

Great post, I do think all of this is theater and fans are cats chasing a lazer pointer around the room.

I had the same thought about Werder's article - its a shot across the bow from someone at the level of Stephen or McClay. But Kris Richard was the Rooney Rule guy for the Giants, the Cowboys could also do a quick meeting with him to meet the requirement.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Why can't we just move on from Garrett like other teams have either during the season or immediately after it? In other words, did the Panthers conduct exit interviews and meet with Rivera over a week before firing him in order to pick his brain and glean information from him on players?

Did the Browns spend a week in meetings and such letting Kitchens conduct exit interviews and meet with him multiple times for informational purposes?

Their calculus was simple. Coach A didn't do a good enough job, therefore Coach A is being relieved of his duties. And that's it. They cut the cord. They rip off the band aid. They don't spend multiple meetings allowing their fired HC to have exit meetings and meet with owners over multiple days to discuss strategy, players, etc. Coach typically meets with his staff, then meets with the players as a group, says good bye and that's it.

The fact you think this process the Cowboys are using is normal is peculiar. Can you name another HC that was fired/relieved of his job that was given multiple meetings with the owner, as well as being able to conduct individual player exit interviews (where if you believe the reports, some of the players thought it was weird he had individual exit interviews and talked like he was going to be around)?
You come across entitled. They don't owe fans anything. If Jones wants to take his time like he has multiple times with past coaches, that's his prerogative. We don't have to like it.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Great post, I do think all of this is theater and fans are cats chasing a lazer pointer around the room.

I had the same thought about Werder's article - its a shot across the bow from someone at the level of Stephen or McClay. But Kris Richard was the Rooney Rule guy for the Giants, the Cowboys could also do a quick meeting with him to meet the requirement.
They might have planned to interview Richard already, who knows? It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall with regard to all these meetings.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like I said in another thread, JG has been with us for a while and I think he deserves an amicable split

Well maybe...or he should be grateful for the extra 5 years he got that most HC would never dream of getting. And get out the way.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You come across entitled. They don't owe fans anything. If Jones wants to take his time like he has multiple times with past coaches, that's his prerogative. We don't have to like it.

You make a good point! Look at us sitting around making demands. *we* don't run this team or tell anyone how to run it. And they don't ask us. We simply follow...or not follow. Like I said, we could just go play golf or sledding or hunting for a few days instead. Let it play out. Instead we act like yipping puppies.

Sydla

Reaction score

And you get your panties in a wad often over criticism of the front office and what they are doing.

I think it's totally fair to be critical of a strange process here. It's not just fans, as some in the media are also wondering why he's doing it the way he's doing it.

Especially considering the man in charge has basically led the Cowboys to two straight decades of poor coaching hires and overall futility on the field. Maybe how he does it needs to change?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
You make a good point! Look at us sitting around making demands. *we* don't run this team or tell anyone how to run it. And they don't ask us. We simply follow...or not follow. Like I said, we could just go play golf or sledding or hunting for a few days instead. Let it play out. Instead we act like yipping puppies.
That's just my nature and personality. I don't bother whining about things I have zero control over. It clashes with some fans. Whatever happens is and was going to happen regardless.
I would have liked Jones to have replaced JG asap, but I don't find anything wrong with being patient because we're not in full possession of the facts.

Kaiser

Reaction score
They might have planned to interview Richard already, who knows? It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall with regard to all these meetings.

Yeah, I think if there was a reason to move quickly they would have moved quickly. I think the next HC is a guy who is coaching in the playoffs and we can't talk to them yet, so this week doesn't matter.

Reactions: G2

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
And you get your panties in a wad often over criticism of the front office and what they are doing.

I think it's totally fair to be critical of a strange process here. It's not just fans, as some in the media are also wondering why he's doing it the way he's doing it.

Especially considering the man in charge has basically led the Cowboys to two straight decades of poor coaching hires and overall futility on the field. Maybe how he does it needs to change?
I've been clearly critical of the front office, for years. You're uninformed. And a lame attempt at taking a jab. And why do you think fans are whining about this? Because of the media frenzy about "anything Dallas." People put WAY too much into the mediots.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yeah, I think if there was a reason to move quickly they would have moved quickly. I think the next HC is a guy who is coaching in the playoffs and we can't talk to them yet, so this week doesn't matter.
Strong possibility, such as Zimmer or another coach who might not go deep in the playoffs. The front office doesn't and probably shouldn't show their hand.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

So now expecting normal resolution is “entities”?
Wow. Som sheeple will willingly accept whatever **** this team serves them.

Thank you sir may I have another.

:facepalm:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
:lmao2:
3l3ht3.jpg

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
So now expecting normal resolution is “entities”?
Wow. Som sheeple will willingly accept whatever **** this team serves them.

Thank you sir may I have another.

:facepalm:
What are you trying to say? Lmao. Anyway, I find it more realistic to wait and see what unfolds before I declare my disapproval.