Why does no one assume that maybe free agents don't want to come here?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Show me where we've offered equal money. We're closed for business as the ones running it are on vacation.
That's not why we're closed for business.

They are simply prepared to take Dak's cap hit next season and be done with him. Therefore they are no in any position to spend much money in free agency.

We will more than likely be a lower middle of the pack team next year.

This is a necessary evil for giving out a bad contract to a bad player.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why has that not crossed anyone’s mind? Why would anyone come here not knowing who the QB is for next year or the coach is? Never mind the front office is cheap. Why would any first wave free agents be apart of this circus? Or is it zoo?
They got to you! Turn away from the light!
:muttley:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Because a lot of them actually live in the DFW, but they have to work elsewhere because the money isn't here for them.
They live in DFW because no state tax, cost of living is cheaper but that doesn't mean they want to play for Jerry and the Cowboys. The whole mystique of America's team and 5 rings means nothing to these guys born in the 90's and later. Maybe there some long snapper out here who was born in 1980 who might care.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They got to you! Turn away from the light!
:muttley:
I'm just asking a question lol. Because I sit here and I wonder....if I'm a player why would I come here on first visits? Sure I may come here if I Have no other options available.....but why would I come here on a fair or bargain deal?

Jayinem

Reaction score
I'm speaking hypothetically. Put yourself in the players place. If Cowboys, Eagles, Commanders, 49ers or Chiefs offered you a contract....why would the Cowboys be the top of that list?
Then that wouldn't be Jerry's fault, but the reality is he's not offering equal money so we can put the blame on him.

Smith22

Reaction score
And in 2024 what's the difference between Carolina, Vegas and Cowboys? Because I see nothing.
Carolina traded away stars and are the joke of the league.

On top of that, their own found it appropriate to charge fans more for tickets for the upcoming season......

Jayinem

Reaction score
That's not why we're closed for business.

They are simply prepared to take Dak's cap hit next season and be done with him. Therefore they are no in any position to spend much money in free agency.

We will more than likely be a lower middle of the pack team next year.

This is a necessary evil for giving out a bad contract to a bad player.
That's the only way this whole thing makes any sense. But I think you're giving them too much credit. They'll sign no one and still cave to Dak at the last second IMO.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Cowboys certainly have their flaws, but comparing Dallas to Carolina? Really? Lets not pretend like this team is the biggest dumpster fire in the league. I think if anything the question we should be asking is if the Cowboys dont know who the coach and qb is for 2025 why would they be motivated to sign free agents? That's really where my pessimism for this upcoming year comes from. Their draft and free agent class could be completely wasted on a new coach/system that doesnt want the players the Cowboys would acquire this year.

The Cowboys are a major market that would give guys a ton of exposure with several prime time games and they're a legitimate playoff contender. There are selling points for the Cowboys in free agency.
But there isn't. All of these ex players who are on TV aren't Cowboys or ex-Cowboys.

There is no perks of being a Cowboy.

And is Cowboys as bad as Carolina? No. IN theory we do somewhat "contend". But we care as much about winning as they do. I read their owner is even little more nuts then Jerry is. Still. We are in no position to pretend like we are better than the Panthers because you know what? It hasn't been 28 years since their last NFC Championship.....it hasn't even been 10 years since they were actually in a SB.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Carolina traded away stars and are the joke of the league.

On top of that, their own found it appropriate to charge fans more for tickets for the upcoming season......
I'd argue Cowboys are also the joke of the league especially at this time of the year. Probably the biggest joke actually.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
That's the only way this whole thing makes any sense. But I think you're giving them too much credit. They'll sign no one and still cave to Dak at the last second IMO.
If that's what ends up happening I will be amazed at the level of stupidity from the FO.

I already think they're stupid enough, but if they are doing all this just to make Dak the highest paid player ever then they will surpass how stupid I already think of them. If that was possible.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
But there isn't. All of these ex players who are on TV aren't Cowboys or ex-Cowboys.

There is no perks of being a Cowboy.

And is Cowboys as bad as Carolina? No. IN theory we do somewhat "contend". But we care as much about winning as they do. I read their owner is even little more nuts then Jerry is. Still. We are in no position to pretend like we are better than the Panthers because you know what? It hasn't been 28 years since their last NFC Championship.....it hasn't even been 10 years since they were actually in a SB.
Aikman/Romo are on two of the top broadcast teams. Emmitt Smith, Keyshawn Johnson, Moose Johnson, Michael Irvin, Jimmy Johnson, Daryl Woodson, Marcus Spears, Jason Garrett, Brian Baldinger all have national media gigs. Even a guy like Jason Witten who was horrible at the job got an opportunity. Former Cowboys absolutely dominate in the media.

If I'm signing a 1-3 year deal for similar money I'm absolutely choosing the Cowboys over the Panthers. Are there better teams to go to if my ultimate goal is to win a super bowl? Yeah I think so, but if the Cowboys are competitive in bidding in free agency they easily have an advantage over half the league.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Why has that not crossed anyone’s mind? Why would anyone come here not knowing who the QB is for next year or the coach is? Never mind the front office is cheap. Why would any first wave free agents be apart of this circus? Or is it zoo?
Are some people still thinking more than maybe 5% of players do anything but chase the $'s? You can be damn sure if our offers were competitive we'd sign more players.
I also don't think any player from another team cares about Dak's contract. I mean he is here and under contract. Maybe some would like him to be signed long term and some would like him to be cut. Who knows. But it's all about the Benjamins...

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I'm speaking hypothetically. Put yourself in the players place. If Cowboys, Eagles, Commanders, 49ers or Chiefs offered you a contract....why would the Cowboys be the top of that list?
No state taxes and maybe endorsements, which kinda balances out the poor management.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Aikman/Romo are on two of the top broadcast teams. Emmitt Smith, Keyshawn Johnson, Moose Johnson, Michael Irvin, Jimmy Johnson, Daryl Woodson, Marcus Spears, Jason Garrett, Brian Baldinger all have national media gigs. Even a guy like Jason Witten who was horrible at the job got an opportunity. Former Cowboys absolutely dominate in the media.

If I'm signing a 1-3 year deal for similar money I'm absolutely choosing the Cowboys over the Panthers. Are there better teams to go to if my ultimate goal is to win a super bowl? Yeah I think so, but if the Cowboys are competitive in bidding in free agency they easily have an advantage over half the league.
Look at who you are naming though lol. You're naming all players from the 90's lol. The last championship team we had. Except Marcus Spears and Chris Canty which are two guys. Notice how all of Bellicheat's guys are on TV? Rodney Harrison? Brady will be next season? Gronk? I just don't think being ex-Cowboys means what you guys think it means. Canty and Spears are great at what they do. And hell if you want to give Cowboys credit for Acho....he is too.

Everyone doesn't have aspirations for being in the media so if that's the Cowboys selling point no wonder they strike out. People want to get overpaid. Being a "Cowboy" means nothing in 2024.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Are some people still thinking more than maybe 5% of players do anything but chase the $'s? You can be damn sure if our offers were competitive we'd sign more players.
I also don't think any player from another team cares about Dak's contract. I mean he is here and under contract. Maybe some would like him to be signed long term and some would like him to be cut. Who knows. But it's all about the Benjamins...
I've seen nothing to suggest that the Cowboys, Ravens, Chiefs, Eagles offered the player the same money that the player would chose Dallas. If we overpay more than anyone else? Possibly. But that's a problem with in itself.