Why does no one assume that maybe free agents don't want to come here?

Swanny

Reaction score
Why has that not crossed anyone’s mind? Why would anyone come here not knowing who the QB is for next year or the coach is? Never mind the front office is cheap. Why would any first wave free agents be apart of this circus? Or is it zoo?
Because players care about $$$ more than anything. As they should.

Hardline

Reaction score
The Star doesn't shine as bright as it once did. Most players in the league wasn't even born the last time the Cowboys won a Super Bowl. They are basically 1 out of 32 teams.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Because players care about $$$ more than anything. As they should.
Rightfully so. But I think the issue is bigger than money. I think a lot of Cowboys fans think people will come here just because we are the Cowboys. But to players who weren't even alive when the Cowboys were winning rings or barely born? Being a Cowboy means NOTHING.

Pentagruel

Reaction score
And what happens when 3 or 4 teams offer the same amount of money? So we have to pay more than everyone else in order for them to come here? And y'all don't see an issue with that?
Generally what happens then is that the player negotiates a higher price with one of those teams as his services are valued in multiple places and then he takes whatever offer is highest. You are fooling yourself if you think players are just avoiding Dallas for whatever reason. It’s well documented how this front office does business and handles free agency. They do not spend money in free agency competing with other franchises. They wait til all the desirable players are gone and then they can pick and choose from what is leftover.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Star doesn't shine as bright as it once did. Most players in the league wasn't even born the last time the Cowboys won a Super Bowl. They are basically 1 out of 32 teams.
Exactly. And that's another thing I'm starting to come to grips with. I noticed it when I Saw Bobby Wagner was born in 1990. Which seems young but that's a 34 year old. Which is young in real life but football years not so much. This guy was barely 7 or 8 and probably never even saw the Cowboys be good or remember it. Hell Cowboys might have it worse knowing that no one has even seen them even in a NFC Championship game since the 90's.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Generally what happens then is that the player negotiates a higher price with one of those teams as his services are valued in multiple places and then he takes whatever offer is highest. You are fooling yourself if you think players are just avoiding Dallas for whatever reason. It’s well documented how this front office does business and handles free agency. They do not spend money in free agency competing with other franchises. They wait til all the desirable players are gone and then they can pick and choose from what is leftover.
I think they wait until all the desirable players are gone because those are the only guys who will come here. Just speculation on my part. We don't really half much evidence that if the Cowboys offered a player 100 million and another team did the same they'd chose Dallas or the other team. We just don't know. What we do know is we don't sign anyone but our own guys. Why? Because our own guys can make more money here than anywhere else. So maybe I'm fooling myself but I've seen nothing to suggest otherwise. If Cowboys were truly as special as some fans want us to believe they'd take pay cuts to come here. But they won't. Why? Because it's a zoo.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Look at who you are naming though lol. You're naming all players from the 90's lol. The last championship team we had. Except Marcus Spears and Chris Canty which are two guys. Notice how all of Bellicheat's guys are on TV? Rodney Harrison? Brady will be next season? Gronk? I just don't think being ex-Cowboys means what you guys think it means. Canty and Spears are great at what they do. And hell if you want to give Cowboys credit for Acho....he is too.

Everyone doesn't have aspirations for being in the media so if that's the Cowboys selling point no wonder they strike out. People want to get overpaid. Being a "Cowboy" means nothing in 2024.
IMO getting into broadcasting is a pretty small piece and I don't think i ever even brought that up....but still Jason Garrett has a job, Jason Witten got a shot he probably didnt deserve, etc so it's not nothing....when I mention media attention I'm suggesting they get 5+ prime time games per year and even the non prime time games are typically mid afternoon games that are broadcast nationally. Lesser known players, even special teams guys get noticed and this can often times lead to guys getting a cheap pro bowl bid, maybe a chance to stick around the league longer than they should, or just a little bit more well known to the fan base. Honestly I bet most casual football fans could name 5 players for the Cowboys easily, but I doubt many casual fans could name 5 Panthers, Jaguars, or Cardinal players off the top of their head. It's little stuff, but if you're not going to a powerhouse legitimate super bowl team I think the Cowboys have plenty to sell to free agents.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
IMO getting into broadcasting is a pretty small piece and I don't think i ever even brought that up....but still Jason Garrett has a job, Jason Witten got a shot he probably didnt deserve, etc so it's not nothing....when I mention media attention I'm suggesting they get 5+ prime time games per year and even the non prime time games are typically mid afternoon games that are broadcast nationally. Lesser known players, even special teams guys get noticed and this can often times lead to guys getting a cheap pro bowl bid, maybe a chance to stick around the league longer than they should, or just a little bit more well known to the fan base. Honestly I bet most casual football fans could name 5 players for the Cowboys easily, but I doubt many casual fans could name 5 Panthers, Jaguars, or Cardinal players off the top of their head. It's little stuff, but if you're not going to a powerhouse legitimate super bowl team I think the Cowboys have plenty to sell to free agents.
I don't disagree that Witten and Garrett got jobs...both are football guys who are tied in. Greg Olsen is on TV and he's a ex-Panther. I think Wittens Hall of Fame career got him on TV.

I don't see it but I hope you're right. I hope free agents view the Cowboys as you do. Because I know I sure as hell don't.

Pentagruel

Reaction score
I think they wait until all the desirable players are gone because those are the only guys who will come here. Just speculation on my part. We don't really half much evidence that if the Cowboys offered a player 100 million and another team did the same they'd chose Dallas or the other team. We just don't know. What we do know is we don't sign anyone but our own guys. Why? Because our own guys can make more money here than anywhere else. So maybe I'm fooling myself but I've seen nothing to suggest otherwise. If Cowboys were truly as special as some fans want us to believe they'd take pay cuts to come here. But they won't. Why? Because it's a zoo.
Why do you think players would actively avoid Dallas? Sure, all things being equal there might be some franchises that players prefer, and that is probably a personal decision for them as well. But by and large, I do think Dallas is an attractive destination for free agents, money being equal obviously. Dallas just doesn’t play that game and hasn’t for a long time.

Mr_437

Reaction score
They live in DFW because no state tax, cost of living is cheaper but that doesn't mean they want to play for Jerry and the Cowboys. The whole mystique of America's team and 5 rings means nothing to these guys born in the 90's and later. Maybe there some long snapper out here who was born in 1980 who might care.
I'm saying people know about the guys living here and think they want to play where they live, to be at home. It's not about some faded mystique of yester year

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Why do you think players would actively avoid Dallas? Sure, all things being equal there might be some franchises that players prefer, and that is probably a personal decision for them as well. But by and large, I do think Dallas is an attractive destination for free agents, money being equal obviously. Dallas just doesn’t play that game and hasn’t for a long time.
I don't think "actively avoid". I just think players would rather be elsewhere. I don't think the players like Jerry, I don't think they want to be apart of this circus, I don't think they want to be apart of this "Choking" culture....I think there's a bunch of things.

Pentagruel

Reaction score
I don't think "actively avoid". I just think players would rather be elsewhere. I don't think the players like Jerry, I don't think they want to be apart of this circus, I don't think they want to be apart of this "Choking" culture....I think there's a bunch of things.
I don’t think players pay any attention to that stuff. Those are thing a the fans look at and care about but for players there are only a few factors: money, competitiveness, location. There are personal factors for each player, sure, like some players might not get along with a certain coach and such but they differ from player to player. They don’t care if the owner is a blowhard or if the team has a “choking culture”. People are just looking way too hard for excuses on why we never sign free agents when in reality they don’t have to look very far at all; Dallas does not do free agency competing against other franchises, they only use it to try and patch holes with whatever is left over from the other teams.

Redline360

Reaction score
Free agents mainly chase the money and or go to teams in the running for superbowl success at the end of their careers.

Both things not happening in Dallas

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Players look for jobs like you or I do. Money is the #1 consideration. They also consider fit at the company or likelihood or success... if you're say a good man corner, you probably want to look at offers from teams running man defenses. And they might look for old co-workers or bosses they know.

The big difference is that NFL players have a much shorter time horizon than you or I do... they may easily be unable to work by 30. So money gets pushed even more to the forefront.

Last edited:

phildadon86

Reaction score
Why has that not crossed anyone’s mind? Why would anyone come here not knowing who the QB is for next year or the coach is? Never mind the front office is cheap. Why would any first wave free agents be apart of this circus? Or is it zoo?
Hahaha look at you blaming everyone but the FO for waiting for agents and players to make the call to them.

The reason by the way we believe that players want to play here is because our owner and front office brag incessantly about how great playing for the cowboys is and how players always want to come here.

Couple that with ex players and current players constantly saying they would love to play for Dallas.

It’s ok to say bad things about the FO by the way. They don’t read this board.

vlad

Reaction score
IMHO, Most of these dudes and I'd think it would be like 95% dont give a rats *** about the team over the money. I wouldn't. It's a job to them, its a sport to us. I wouldn't offer Apple a hometown discount if Google gonna pay me 2x.

Otherwise I'd sign here for the endorsement opportunities alone. That is one thing I will say I agree with Stephen on - the team does more to market itself/players than any one other team - no one giving a rip about Dak's sleep number if he plays for the Panthers. It's not like you see Joe Burrow or national ads.