Why does this defense have 0 playmakers

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Last year when Garrett "gave up" play calling wasnt it so he could spend more time working with the defense? I assume he's still spending more time with the defense . . . . . . . . . . .

John813

Reaction score
Secondary brings back a healthy Orlando Scandrick, along with Byron Jones, J.J. Wilcox, and Tyler Patmon. A lot of help needed here. Jeff Heath is a restricted free agent and I know he is overrated by Cowboy fans, but he is a liability in coverage. As long as he is playing meaningful downs in the secondary, the Cowboys defense will be exposed.

There needs to be an aggressive but SMART approach in free agency. Also, coaching and the front office is about adaptation and improvement. It’s time to move on from their current beliefs on the 1Tech position and safety positions. Byron Jones will help with the safety spot but they can’t rest on that.

That can be said for all 4 safeties.

Still think they need to keep Jones at corner. Next year we'll have Scandrick back, but with the nickel being the norm, we need two good corners and one above average guy at least. Keeping Jones at corner would at least mean we only need another corner if/when we walk away from Mo.

IMO go after a decent one in FA and even draft another safety. Not another project safety.

Craig

Reaction score
The team has playmakers on defense. Youre stumbling over youself trying to whine and what you mean to complain about is a lack of turnovers.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
And yet teams with what seem like they have less talent have more playmakers? Is it the coaching?

Listen, mate, Romo was expensive. Dez was expensive. Our vaunted O-line is relatively expensive. Witten pulls down his share.

Oh, we need cap money for the defense????

No worries, playmates! We can bring in journeymen, keep our ner' do wells and sign some troubled D players (for some strange reason, other teams passed on them).

On the upside, we are making a great play for the top-5 pick in the draft.
Pray it is a QB because Johnny M. in Cleveland might impress enough people to keep him there and then where will Sir Jones get his QB when old man Romo's body breaks down piece by piece next season?

Think draft! Hope for a QB, RB then corners and a run-stuffer.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I've said it several times but there is real opportunity to "fix" the defense next year.

Greg Hardy, Morris Claiborne, Rolando McClain, Jeremy Mincey, Nick Hayden, Danny McCray, Kyle Wilber, Terrell McClain, and Jack Crawford are all unrestricted free agents. The Cowboys can save an additional $9M in cap room but cutting Brandon Carr ($6.383M) and Barry Church ($2.75M).

That is 6 defensive starters and 11 players in the defensive two-deep the team can move on from. I’ve heard the adage (mainly here) that you can’t replace too many starters at once, but I would argue that the bigger crime is rewarding mediocrity by continuing to bring it back.

This doesn’t mean the cupboard is bare. The defensive line brings back Tyrone Crawford, DeMarcus Lawrence, Randy Gregory, and David Irving. You can count Ryan Russell and Chris Whaley in that if you wish.

Linebacker corps bring back Sean Lee, Anthony Hitchens, Damien Wilson, Andrew Gachkar, and Mark Nzeocha. I basically see Sean Lee and a lot of back-up slash special teamers, but at least there is depth.

Secondary brings back a healthy Orlando Scandrick, along with Byron Jones, J.J. Wilcox, and Tyler Patmon. A lot of help needed here. Jeff Heath is a restricted free agent and I know he is overrated by Cowboy fans, but he is a liability in coverage. As long as he is playing meaningful downs in the secondary, the Cowboys defense will be exposed.

There needs to be an aggressive but SMART approach in free agency. Also, coaching and the front office is about adaptation and improvement. It’s time to move on from their current beliefs on the 1Tech position and safety positions. Byron Jones will help with the safety spot but they can’t rest on that.

and scratch Patmon from the returning DB's.

remdak

Reaction score
Looks like our Cowboys can easily set the record for fewest takeaways in a season.

Dan Turner ‏@dtsturner 56m56 minutes ago
Cowboys were 2nd in NFL for takeaways last year (31). This year, they have 8. NFL record for fewest takeaways in a year is 11. 3 games to go

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
We played this same defense with inferior talent and generated more turnovers then most last season.

The whole 'bend but don't break' mantra that people keep running behind is an excuse to lean on for why we don't get turnovers. This same defense got them last season.

I believe it's effort and technique. You can't get a TO if you're 5 yards from your man and 5 yards from the end of the play.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It is interesting that the players that actually had a hand in the most turnovers/forces last year: Carter, Durant, Scandrick and Moore. Not a part of the team this year.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
It is interesting that the players that actually had a hand in the most turnovers/forces last year: Carter, Durant, Scandrick and Moore. Not a part of the team this year.

Church, Wilcox, Heath, Claiborne, Carr, (Patmon) have forced a combined 4 turnovers (3INTs, 1FF)

Sterling Moore has forced 4 turnovers (1INT, 3FF)

I know, different situations and all but...

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
The defense isn't the problem. Wade was an awful head coach, but he's coaching an amazing defense in denver. Marinelli was awful as the lions head coach, but he's doing a solid job with this defense. People keep screaming for takeovers, but what exactly are we going to do with those if we can barely get a first down?

This.

The defense would look a whole lot better if the offense was somewhat competent.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
So he WAS terrible with the Browns?

But I would say those were extenuating circumstances he was facing. I think he would have turned the Browns around had they stayed in Cleveland. But that's just speculation.

vaturkey

Reaction score
They played that same technique last year and got them though.

Teams were playing from behind last year a bunch. They had to throw. Our D-line could disregard the run and go after the QB and get more pressure. More pressure more turn overs. Now the shoe is on the opposite foot. We are playing from behind and the other teams can run the ball and pass the ball and we have to defend the entire field. I have some talent, but our talent doesn't seem to fit the scheme Rod M. wants to play. Coaching is more then just getting good effort. Its also matching your scheme to your talent. I'm not sure we do that very well. Rod, tried to cram a square peg into a round hole for the most part. Doesn't work normally.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
They do have the players unfortunately they aren't allowed to flourish because of the Vanilla scheme that Marinelli uses every game. Did you notice how they were flying to the ball against the Commanders? They looked amazing and the blitzing was a blessing.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Scheme. Players can't play zone to save their life. If they could play zone well in this scheme I think it would result in more picks.

Bingo! The man scheme, although better suited to our personnel is not as conducive as a zone scheme because usually your back is turned running with the receivers. In a zone scheme you are playing the ball more but you're right - we suck at playing zone.