Why does Witten fall down as soon as he's touched?

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1701008 said:
Incredible catch for the TD in the Bills game, I was afraid that Romo had overthrown him.

Witten on the run is very different. I at first thought Romo had thrown it too far, as well.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
I always get nervous when I see one of our players with a defender around their feet/ankles and they're struggling for an extra foot or two. That's a recipe for a high ankle sprain for certain.

Watching Peterson play at OU, that was how he kept hurting his ankle during his sophomore year. One or two guys would have him around the legs and he'd keep straining for extra yardage. It's commendable, but it leads to injuries.

I want Witten healthy all year long!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mavs Man;1701052 said:
I didn't realize I was opening a can of worms, here. I wasn't suggesting that Witten stinks up the joint, isn't a top 5 TE in the league, isn't a great team leader, team player, offensive weapon, favorite target of our resident Next Big Thing QB, or that I think we ought to trade him to a division rival along with Carpenter and a bag of potato chips. I'm happy with Witten, I'm very happy with this team, and I don't expect him to be perfect, but it's something I've observed lately.
No need to apologize for posting your opinion. There are some who agree with you and those who don't. It's just one of those things you have to be prepared for when posting. :)

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
It's not that he falls as soon as he's touched, it's that every time he gets tackled it looks so awkward. I don't know, it's weird.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1701057 said:
No need to apologize for posting your opinion. There are some who agree with you and those who don't. It's just one of those things you have to be prepared for when posting. :)

But I thought I was always right?

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
The homer alert is going off the chart here guys.

I Love Witten, he's outstanding, but lets not pretend he does anything with the ball once he catches it. He goes down as soon as someone touches him 9 outta 10 times. Its almost laughable.

The guy has maybe the best hands of any tight end out there, but he will not get you any Yards after catch.

Go look at Cooley in DC, yes he's skins trash, but when he catches the ball, he takes off like a shot, and is a train to bring down. His hands aren't in the same league as Wittens, but once he gets the ball, one tackler rarely brings him down.

Mavs man was dead on with his assessment.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CowboyWay;1701084 said:
Why does someone have to be a homer if they disagree with a poster's opinion? It ranks right up there with calling someone a troll, IMO.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
CowboyWay;1701084 said:

I Love Witten, he's outstanding, but lets not pretend he does anything with the ball once he catches it. He goes down as soon as someone touches him 9 outta 10 times. Its almost laughable.

The guy has maybe the best hands of any tight end out there, but he will not get you any Yards after catch.

Go look at Cooley in DC, yes he's skins trash, but when he catches the ball, he takes off like a shot, and is a train to bring down. His hands aren't in the same league as Wittens, but once he gets the ball, one tackler rarely brings him down.

Mavs man was dead on with his assessment.

Would you rather have him?

sacase

Reaction score
I think Witten is protecting himself and the ball. I have noticed that he does seem to get wrapped up in the lower body and he goes down. But I also notice that before he goes down he looks around and sees which defenders are coming. He is avoiding the needless big hit. I mean really why take a big shot when you are already wrapped up. Just go down and the play is over. He is doing his best to keep himself injury free.

FCBarca

Reaction score
Love, love, love Witten but the boy has absolutely zero moves :laugh2:

His signature move is an attempted juke, which results in him maintaining his straightline momentum.

We're lucky to have him but let's face it, he ain't gonna make anybody miss

kmp77

Reaction score
And trying to break every tackle can lead to extra hits and when fumbles can happen. I'd rather him take the 15 yd pass and the first down and not get cute with it.

VA Cowboy

Benched
Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of that lately. He used to catch, run, barrell through and/or drag guys. Recently he seems to catch the ball and then try to spin all the while going nowhere. Don't know if these instances are just coincidence or what.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
Like everyone else here, I love Witten and am glad he wears the star.

That said, I agree with the original post, and I first took notice of it in the WIldcard game last year on the play that was reviewed and eventually reversed — the play where Witten appeared to have the first down.

I'll admit that I'm not a big guy, but I found it very curious that after he caught the ball, he couldn't bull right through Lofa, who is considerably smaller than Witten.

It was like he hit a wall.

Sure, there are times when he is stronger than others, but I just figured that with his size, Witten could be a more physical force than he is.

CowboyWay

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1701091 said:
Why does someone have to be a homer if they disagree with a poster's opinion? It ranks right up there with calling someone a troll, IMO.

I don't consider it opinion. Witten catch ball. Witten fall down.

For anyone to see otherwise simply must have some homer glasses on.

Don't get me wrong, I love witten, but the man goes down at pretty much all first contact. He just does. Watch the games.

Parche

Reaction score
Mavs Man;1701004 said:
That makes sense, too. He rarely fumbles (in fact, can't think of one).

I Remember one game last season when they made him fumble, but not another one.

Reaction score
Its pretty simple actually.

He doesn't want to get his knees taken out so he goes down.

Thats the difference between him and Shockey. Shockey will try to run you over but because he is so physical after he has the ball in his hands, he tends to get hurt.

Jason will have a longer and more productive career because he plays alot like Marvin Harrison. Efficient and not to get hurt. You cant say he cant be pyhsical because he is a good blocker. He knows how to do it. He came to Tennesse as a defensive end so he isn't afraid of contact. He just wants to get back up after he is hit.

superpunk

Reaction score
We run him into some pretty tight spots. Alot of times, when he gets the ball that Romo just forced to him through a crowd, and he makes yet another AMAZING UNDERAPPRECIATED catch in traffic, there are already three defenders on him.

You don't see any TEs in the league getting much YAC. Spare me the Cooley comparison. He is not a load to bring down, nor is he shifty. If he gets thrown a pass with a defender on his back, he goes down. Gates, Gonzales, all of them - they catch the pass and go down. They're chain movers, not YAC creators.

CowboyWay

Reaction score
FCBarca;1701100 said:
Love, love, love Witten but the boy has absolutely zero moves :laugh2:

His signature move is an attempted juke, which results in him maintaining his straightline momentum.

We're lucky to have him but let's face it, he ain't gonna make anybody miss

EXACTOMUNDO !!!!