Why does Witten fall down as soon as he's touched?

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1700986 said:
If they're grabbing his legs, from the waist down, how does he breakout of that tackle? If the defender uses good technique, then the offensive guy isnt going to break that.

Sometimes I think people think guys are supposed to superhero strength and should break every tackle.

true, but watch what Barber does when someone is wrapped around his leg

hairic

Reaction score
Thru 4 games, I have Witten with 86 yards after catch on his 20 catches with 8 catches going for no YAC. Two of those that had no YAC are touchdown catches made in the endzone.

That's not yards after contact, which I only started keeping track of for games 3 and 4. He has 19 yards after contact in those games.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CowboyWay;1701123 said:
I don't consider it opinion. Witten catch ball. Witten fall down.

For anyone to see otherwise simply must have some homer glasses on.

Don't get me wrong, I love witten, but the man goes down at pretty much all first contact. He just does. Watch the games.

But it's YOUR opinion, not a fact. Just like everyone else's. And considering no one, at least not in this thread, has put up any video for comparison purposes, then it's definitely a subjective opinion. How many times can people look at one play and see something totally different? ALL the time.

It doesn't make YOU a troll to agree with a negative opinion, nor does it make someone a homer to believe otherwise.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Parche;1701124 said:
I Remember one game last season when they made him fumble, but not another one.

As someone later brought up, the Giants game comes to mind now.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
fiveandcounting;1701132 said:
I think it's already agreed that Witten is not the most nimble guy. Barber's trained to keep his feet churning. That's why he looks like a ping pong on the field.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
superpunk;1701127 said:
You don't see any TEs in the league getting much YAC. Spare me the Cooley comparison. He is not a load to bring down, nor is he shifty. If he gets thrown a pass with a defender on his back, he goes down. Gates, Gonzales, all of them - they catch the pass and go down. They're chain movers, not YAC creators.

You don't know what your talking about.

Last year Cooley ranked 17th in the league with YAC yards. 17th. You know who ranked 18th? T.O.

I'd say that was some pretty good company to be in.

And thats not exactly a high flying offensive juggernaught in DC they're running over there. Give Cooley his due, he's a YAC monster.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
fiveandcounting;1701132 said:

I don't expect Witten to run like Barber.

They are built different, they are wired different, .. that's why one is a TE and the other is a RB.

But I see what the OP is talking about.

I would just like to see Witten be a little more stubborn when it comes to going down. Sometimes it is just an attitude.

If he doesn't, I'm good with that too, I wouldn't trade him for any other TE in the league.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1701145 said:
I think it's already agreed that Witten is not the most nimble guy. Barber's trained to keep his feet churning. That's why he looks like a ping pong on the field.

And thats all I was saying. Look at the initial post in this thread, and the next several were "You're crazy, Witten is great"...........blah blah blah.

Thats why I mentioned the homer glasses. We all have them to an extent, but it was getting deep up there in the first page of this thread.

superpunk

Reaction score
CowboyWay;1701151 said:
You don't know what your talking about.

Last year Cooley ranked 17th in the league with YAC yards. 17th. You know who ranked 18th? T.O.

I'd say that was some pretty good company to be in.

And thats not exactly a high flying offensive juggernaught in DC they're running over there. Give Cooley his due, he's a YAC monster.
That's yards after catch. Educate yourself to how they use Cooley, and the type of receptions he's piling up yards after catch on - they throw him screens, 17 receptions BEHIND the LOS last year. He's getting the ball in a position where he is sure to get YAC, where there is noone on him. When is the last time we ran a play like that to Witten?

Either way, your YAC factoid doesn't mean Cooley is breaking many tackles. He's not. Not more than any other TE.

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
I used to wonder why Novacek's and Moose Johnston's legs would always end up in the air when they got tackled....... :patriots:

yennor24

Reaction score
This post should have been for Julious Jones...I have never ever seen him break a tackle...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CowboyWay;1701157 said:
And thats all I was saying. Look at the initial post in this thread, and the next several were "You're crazy, Witten is great"...........blah blah blah.

Thats why I mentioned the homer glasses. We all have them to an extent, but it was getting deep up there in the first page of this thread.
There are only a few posts like that. The rest offered opinions on why he may go down on first contact...which is what he asked in the thread title.

Quick question, tho. Where do you find the YAC stat? I'm not real good at stat finding. I looked and I just found Yd/Rec

Witten 2006 - 11.8
Cooley 2006 - 12.9

Witten 2007 - 14.0
Cooley 2007 - 8.0

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1701179 said:
Quick question, tho. Where do you find the YAC stat? I'm not real good at stat finding. I looked and I just found Yd/Rec

Witten 2006 - 11.8
Cooley 2006 - 12.9

Witten 2007 - 14.0
Cooley 2007 - 8.0

:eek: That's sick for a TE. Yet another stat showing how wide open the passing game has been this season. If the Bills game is any indication, though, and teams are starting to gameplan around that, those numbers will be going down.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1700986 said:
If they're grabbing his legs, from the waist down, how does he breakout of that tackle? If the defender uses good technique, then the offensive guy isnt going to break that.

Sometimes I think people think guys are supposed to superhero strength and should break every tackle.

Too much Madden softens the brain!! :D

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
superpunk;1701160 said:
That's yards after catch. Educate yourself to how they use Cooley, and the type of receptions he's piling up yards after catch on - they throw him screens, 17 receptions BEHIND the LOS last year. He's getting the ball in a position where he is sure to get YAC, where there is noone on him. When is the last time we ran a play like that to Witten?

Either way, your YAC factoid doesn't mean Cooley is breaking many tackles. He's not. Not more than any other TE.

Exactly. The Skins consider him more H-Back than Tight end.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
2007 Season:

Witten (6' 5", 265 lbs)= Total YAC 108 Yards; 3.7 YAC per catch

Cooley (6' 3", 249 lbs)= Total YAC 36 Yards; 3.6 YAC per catch

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Mavs Man;1700971 said:
It's hard to criticize such an asset on offense, but has anyone else noticed his tendency to fall over upon the first tackle/wrap-up? This was really noticeable watching the Bills game. He catches the ball and boom, he hits the ground. I'm not talking about big hits either, just simple leg wrap-ups. I would expect a guy his size to barrel forward for a few more yards.

:rolleyes:

David

hermitkid

Reaction score
superpunk;1701160 said:

You really shouldn't be telling other people to educate yourself when you're spouting that much nonsense.

Cooley has been known to break tackles on a consistent basis going back to college. He routinely evades defenders to gain extra yardage after contact. You routinely see him catch passes short of a first down only to break a tackle and gain the extra yardage.

It's part of his game and some players are more adapt at it than others. It helps that he's built relatively low to the ground despite his size, and his awareness and ability to make defenders miss with simple moves is uncanny.

hermitkid

Reaction score
Danny White;1701259 said:
Exactly. The Skins consider him more H-Back than Tight end.

That role has changed and he plays the role of a traditional TE now. At least according to Saunders...