Why doesnt Red put TO in motion?

Next_years_Champs

Reaction score
I still think that gametime is gametime... show what you have too(ok hide some stuff)... the BETTER team should win, no?

Right gametime is where you find out if your game plan is correct, but if the plays weren't practiced during the week its unlikely they will be called, except in those situations where the play-offs or season is on the line.

Hey I don't begin to claim I know what was in the plan, I'm just offering possible reasons why some plays are used and some aren't.

khiladi

Reaction score
Next_years_Champs;2315867 said:
I'm convinced many of today fans have no concept of a season long strategy. The Cowboys have always employed it from their earliest days.

Landry never showed anything he didn't have to, Landry now he had some vanilla game plans early in the year.

We went totally vanilla last year, at the end of the year...

Next_years_Champs

Reaction score
khiladi;2316147 said:
We went totally vanilla last year, at the end of the year...

True we also had a lot of injuries, as I said later in this thread each game has different circumstances. But teams traditionally keep some of the playbook in reserve.

aikemirv

Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;2316057 said:
Could be 75% if he would set his feet and quit throwing off his back foot.

again 64% - go cry me a river. Go root for the Browns and your boy on the bench!!!:rolleyes:

jwhardin

Reaction score
I think they should use more two back set with Barber and Jones, put Jones in motion which draws more coverage away from TO

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
YoMick;2315975 said:
Fair enough... as I consider myself a student of the Zone (all you with the football knowledge has taught's me much ;) )

I still think that gametime is gametime... show what you have too(ok hide some stuff)... the BETTER team should win, no?

IMO, what makes the game so special is the opportunity for any team to win on any given Sunday. The better team doesn't always win, just look at last year's superbowl. When you factor in emotions and scheming a team wrong it could lead to a disastrous effect.

I mentioned this during DCFanactics Radio show, after you have studied the opposing team's tendencies going back two season's deep, you are still roughly 60% prepared to win the game. Barring injuries and turnovers your ingame adjustments usually decide the outcome of the game especially if the teams are matched evenly physically.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
adbutcher;2315723 said:
It is almost like he is saving that wrinkle. Maybe when we play the midgets he unleashes it.

SF ran that stuff with Rice & later TO also several times PER GAME and you're saying the boy's can't handle such a basic play?

There is no surprise element, it's a basic "YOU CAN'T DEFEND IT" issue. it would also open up lanes for TE and other WRs if defenders start jumping routes.

Our staff is NOT creative in any way. OTOH many forum visitors seem to have vivid imaginations pretending we have anything but sub-par HC, DC, OC and ST coaches.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Our coaches HAVE to figure out some way to still get Owens involved, even when teams try to take him out of the offense.

He is simply too explosive not to.

We just can't let that happen, we have to make teams pay.

Crayton and/or Austin have to step up as well. We did a pretty good job of taking C. Johnson out of the game but Howsyourmama stepped up and had a good game. We need that from Crayton, Austin or Hurd.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
chinch;2316224 said:
SF ran that stuff with Rice & later TO also several times PER GAME and you're saying the boy's can't handle such a basic play?

There is no surprise element, it's a basic "YOU CAN'T DEFEND IT" issue. it would also open up lanes for TE and other WRs if defenders start jumping routes.

Our staff is NOT creative in any way. OTOH many forum visitors seem to have vivid imaginations pretending we have anything but sub-par HC, DC, OC and ST coaches.

Basic? So if there isn't a surprise element and it is just a basic, your words, YOU CAN'T DEFEND IT" issue. Then how come teams with elite WR(s) just line up and run that play every play for the entire season?

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;2316283 said:
Our coaches HAVE to figure out some way to still get Owens involved, even when teams try to take him out of the offense.

Crayton and/or Austin have to step up as well. We did a pretty good job of taking C. Johnson out of the game but Howsyourmama stepped up and had a good game. We need that from Crayton, Austin or Hurd.

:hammer:

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
adbutcher;2316288 said:
Basic? So if there isn't a surprise element and it is just a basic, your words, YOU CAN'T DEFEND IT" issue. Then how come teams with elite WR(s) just line up and run that play every play for the entire season?
I already told you SF ran it over and over and over. Philly did it to great succeess until "horse collar" broke TO's ankle.

Which teams have the speed/size and other weapons to allow this... not many.

We do.

It's easy to defend if you have no other playmakers. We happend to have several.

most of which are not being utilized to their capacity.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
by their own MOUTHS they're not trying.

Jason's strategy is to take what the D gives them.

He stated that over and over this year and last.

WV Cowboy;2316283 said:

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
chinch;2316358 said:
by their own MOUTHS they're not trying.

Jason's strategy is to take what the D gives them.

He stated that over and over this year and last.

If they are taking Owens out of the mix, then they are giving us Crayton, Austin, Hurd.

We have to take advantage of that and make them pay to the point that they decide it is not worth it.

But I still don't agree with just letting them have their way by taking Owens out, ... we should be able to figure out a way to still get him involved.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;2316376 said:
If they are taking Owens out of the mix, then they are giving us Crayton, Austin, Hurd.

We have to take advantage of that and make them pay to the point that they decide it is not worth it.
This is where Red fails. When they're taking owens out (and no doubt watching #82 also) we need to RUN, RUN & use Felix/MB for short passes that can quickly turn to big runs. Just sending Crayton, Austin & Hurd out on routes leads to INTs since there is more defenders in open space and fewer at the LOS. Does Red not know what a screen pass is?

WV Cowboy;2316376 said:
But I still don't agree with just letting them have their way by taking Owens out, ... we should be able to figure out a way to still get him involved.
No doubt about it. Major failure for 3 years now we've had TO and not used him properly. It shows up in every loss and of course late in the year.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Next_years_Champs;2316000 said:
Right gametime is where you find out if your game plan is correct, but if the plays weren't practiced during the week its unlikely they will be called, except in those situations where the play-offs or season is on the line.

Hey I don't begin to claim I know what was in the plan, I'm just offering possible reasons why some plays are used and some aren't.

Wait? Why did you go there? Why wouldnt they be practiced during the week. I was talking about that at all.

The Slant should be RUN w/ TO a few times a game... just to see if "its there" for Romo... if it is... HIT TO in stride Tony.:D

adbutcher;2316195 said:
IMO, what makes the game so special is the opportunity for any team to win on any given Sunday.

No. Nope. Totally unacceptable. I believe we can win EVERY game. :D

adbutcher;2316195 said:
The better team doesn't always win, just look at last year's superbowl.
When you factor in emotions and scheming a team wrong it could lead to a disastrous effect. I mentioned this during DCFanactics Radio show, after you have studied the opposing team's tendencies going back two season's deep, you are still roughly 60% prepared to win the game. Barring injuries and turnovers your ingame adjustments usually decide the outcome of the game especially if the teams are matched evenly physically.

Interesting..

and true... very important.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
They have used TO in motion and also run him on a lot of crossing patterns.

We are scoring 30 points a game - LOL
AND COMPLAINING

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
Nors;2317368 said:
They have used TO in motion and also run him on a lot of crossing patterns.

We are scoring 30 points a game - LOL
AND COMPLAINING

TO is the one complaining and not really doing much in the offense. We also beat 4 teams with losing records thus far (combined 5-14)

Cleveland Browns 1 W - 3 L
Philadelphia Eagles 2 W - 3 L
Cincinnati Bengals 0 W - 5 L
Green Bay Packers 2 W - 3 L