Why draft a back 4th overall if you’re not willing to pay him?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
All this handwringing over paying a 24 year old running back is ludicrous considering they spent a top 5 pick on him just a few seasons ago. All he’s done in 3 seasons is justify his draft position, and now we’re not willing to pay a back because of our philosophy? How does that make any sense?

They look like morons for taking him 4th overall if they’re not willing to pay him.

You don't.

Folks on this board who prematurely evaluate at the thought of an extra draft pick will scream otherwise though ... they'll quickly anger but fade quickly

coult44

Reaction score
I'm still trying, but it's getting tougher to like EZ.

Me too, I actually have my sons and my 21 jersey on ice right now. ( back side of closet lol) Gonna wait and see what happens. I’ve always been pretty moderate as far as this subject is concerned, normally siding with the player. But this two year stuff is crap. Can someone please tell me if at the end of these two years that he’s still signed for, if they can franchise him for a couple more years? If so, we are talking 4 years. That’s crazy

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
All this handwringing over paying a 24 year old running back is ludicrous considering they spent a top 5 pick on him just a few seasons ago. All he’s done in 3 seasons is justify his draft position, and now we’re not willing to pay a back because of our philosophy? How does that make any sense?

They look like morons for taking him 4th overall if they’re not willing to pay him.

Hey, big spender, the expectations are that players will honor their contracts, but I guess you are not into honoring contracts.
How is your credit rating?

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
The OP is falling prey to the same error in reasoning as a number of others on this forum. There is NOTHING that requires the Cowboys to make the mistake of extending Zeke just because they made the mistake of investing the #4 overall pick on him. In fact, doubling down on an investment in order to salvage value in your prior investment is called throwing good money after bad money and is generally regarded by economists as economically irrational.

The 2016 #4 overall pick is a sunk cost at this point. It’s irrelevant. The team should only concern itself with the completely independent question of how best to move forward from where it is today.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score

Nah, Cowboys really hold all the cards. I know Jones will give in but the team could effectively end Zeke's career/earnings.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
This right here is a prime example of Jerry and the front office not doing their homework on a player. All they did was watch tape...sure he looks ok...and we needed a RB. Looks like a fit...roll w/ it.

Not so fast.....

3 years later...come to find out the guy is an idiot. You don't wanna compound a mistake by giving him even more money...They need to cut their loses and move on. Recoup what they can...and take that money and keep the rest of the team together. :rolleyes:

Batman1980

Reaction score
I'm still trying, but it's getting tougher to like EZ.

I no longer like him. He cares more about money and his personal success than he does about the team. I hope he holds out for the entire season and Alf and Pollard are enough to get us to championship Sunday.

brymatt94

Reaction score
Randle was a very talented RB (better and less injury prone than Murray) but his baggage got in the way... he was more Josh Brent/Greg Hardy than Irving or Gregory, sadly.

Less injury prone, yes. But even if he didn't have off the field issues Randle was not as talented as Murray.

Flamma

Reaction score

I agree with you. He's also still a young dude with at least another contract's worth left in him. The only issue I have is his timing. Just wait until next season. If the Cowboys want to play hardball with him he'll stand to lose more.

DHCBF66

Reaction score

Why have the rookie cap at all? The system was put into place to help teams keep the cap under control. Rookies were being paid way too much $$ before stepping on the field. Zeke has another year on his rookie contract, teams start folding and giving these guys money when they want it the rookies coming out of college are going to start demanding to be paid like the days before the rookie cap.

Altestic

Reaction score
Murray only had one year where he was as productive as Elliott, and even then watching them both run Elliott VS Murray's 2014, Elliott is the superior runner
Murray's 2014 was better than Elliott. Both sort of slowed down the stretch, however.