Why feed a player in contract year?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I have often wondered why teams allow players to pad the hell out of stats in a contract year.

Cee Dee was great last year... but we fed him the ball like crazy, often in times when we probably could have not needed to get him the ball. By doing so, Lamb had a CAREER year. His stats are off the charts productive, and wouldnt you know it... its right when we need to do his damn contract.

Name me another team that has a top 3 QB, top 3 WR and top 3 pass rusher as far as contracts go.

There may be some IM not aware of, but Parsons and Lamb are about to break the bank, and Dak is damn sure going to try to.

Look at the number of targets Lamb had last season..... insane. Im sorry to say it, and it might be a form of collusion in a back door sort of way, but if im the coach, as soon as a game is in hand, Lamb is out and im purposely trying to not feed the guy in games we didnt need to to keep the numbers down.

Yea yea... i know, im just a fool....... maybe, but i would not have gotten a guy 180 something targets in a contract year.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The Cowboys had 8 games where they won by 20 or more points. Im pretty sure they could have won the game, and not kept piling up stats for Lamb.

It woul dbe like feeding your RB at the goal ling instead of bringing in the back up in the 4th quarter to get some garbage TDs.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I’d venture to say if a team did that the union would step in. Didn’t the dolphins just get in trouble for purposely tanking? Yea, I don’t think you can do that with a CBA.

Really what they need to do is figure out a structure where a player gets paid for his current production. I suggested in another thread that they should slot each position with a base salary (obviously this base will be different for 1st,2nd,3rd string) but and an incentive based on current performance, and then do a profit type sharing for each player at the end of the season that would mirror the incentive escalators.

CWR

Reaction score
The goal my friend, is to make headlines, stay in the news and CASH IN. Big numbers and records are a terrific tool to do so.

Jerry also like winning. His order goes money, mistresses, booze, then winning.

fivetwos

Reaction score
He is going to get a market setting deal. There’s never any home discount and there won’t be this time.

Theres a fifth year option and two tags before any first rounder must be extended, and three years before they are eligible to be…and this FO figures out how to blow it every time.

Jerry will make him “prove it,” but he is getting the top WR deal in the league even if he doesn’t, with the justification that salaries continue to rise.

Even Stephen doesn’t mind spending when it’s there on paper how much of the salary is offset by jersey sales.

I really don’t care any more as I now understand that they won’t be spending any savings on players.

So….Dak, CD, Micah….grab all you can. Just don’t expect to ever win. Yes, many never win, just don’t expect to even come close either.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
It's part of their PR to justify paying "their guy" - because let's face it our guys are better than any of their counterparts in the league.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I have often wondered why teams allow players to pad the hell out of stats in a contract year.
You have to find out whether you want to go forward with a player. It could be their last season so might as well get the most out of them. It’s not always the team allowing a player to pad their stats, it’s the player stepping up because it’s a contract year.

Last edited:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Multitude of reasons.

1. Early draft picks seem to get the nod to compete to start pretty early and they typically move on from veterans starters fairly quickly. In CD's case he was/is by far the best offensive weapon they have. Hard to not force him the ball. Remember the 1st 5 games they tried that west coast spread it around none sense that was like watching an offense in black tar. CD complained, they opened up the offense and oh look they started moving the ball much more. Who else were they supposed to trust with the ball? Running game was terrible, cooks and tolbert are too short, I think that's the issue with them connecting with Dak.

2. If they aren't a day 1 or 2 pick then they typically have to wait about 3 years or an injury to really start getting reps here. It's Sams 3rd year so watch for an increase in reps for him maybe Tolbert too but I think he will get a bigger shot next year after cooks leaves.

fivetwos

Reaction score
They don’t assemble teams, they look at each player on an individual basis and decide if they are worth the going rate.

If not, they aren’t here. Notice that veteran free agents never make the cut.

They will give out record deals to their own draftees who offset their salary to a degree in merch sales.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Let's not feed him and watch him and any other potential free agent never come back. :huh:

shabazz

Reaction score
Name me another team that has a top 3 QB, top 3 WR and top 3 pass rusher as far as contracts go.

Yea yea... i know, im just a fool.......

Great points all around. Ceedee is the only player that I can argue is a top 5 player, ( in terms of CONSISTENT production) that are among the three, potential / current, mega contracts before us. Micah and Dak suffer from lower production against the better teams so paying them top 3 contract is out of the question.

As far as being fools?........every current Cowboys fan is a fool at some level, lol.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The goal my friend, is to make headlines, stay in the news and CASH IN. Big numbers and records are a terrific tool to do so.

Jerry also like winning. His order goes money, mistresses, booze, then winning.
This
:hammer:

Reactions: CWR

fivetwos

Reaction score
Great points all around. Ceedee is the only player that I can argue is a top 5 player, ( in terms of CONSISTENT production) that are among the three, potential / current, mega contracts before us. Micah and Dak suffer from lower production against the better teams so paying them top 3 contract is out of the question.

As far as being fools?........every current Cowboys fan is a fool at some level, lol.
Parsons is an elite rusher off the edge.

When opponents run into the gut consistently and effectively what is he supposed to do?

He would be worth the money to teams that didn’t whiff on every one of their recent DT selections.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Cee Dee was great last year... but we fed him the ball like crazy, often in times when we probably could have not needed to get him the ball. By doing so, Lamb had a CAREER year. His stats are off the charts productive, and wouldnt you know it... its right when we need to do his damn contract.

There may be some IM not aware of, but Parsons and Lamb are about to break the bank, and Dak is damn sure going to try to.

Look at the number of targets Lamb had last season..... insane. Im sorry to say it, and it might be a form of collusion in a back door sort of way, but if im the coach, as soon as a game is in hand, Lamb is out and im purposely trying to not feed the guy in games we didnt need to to keep the numbers down.

Yea yea... i know, im just a fool....... maybe, but i would not have gotten a guy 180 something targets in a contract year.
Cowboy Troy Aikman did not get his second contract until after he won a Super Bowl December 1993. Cowboy Emmitt did not get his contract until after winning a Super Bowl and holding out 2 games into the regular season.

So, what is the big deal of have Jonesboys who have not won anything earn their contract.

shabazz

Reaction score
Parsons is an elite rusher off the edge.

When opponents run into the gut consistently and effectively what is he supposed to do?

He would be worth the money to teams that didn’t whiff on every one of their recent DT selections.
He may just be on the wrong defense. I speak to his trailing off in production the 2nd half of both seasons. Against the Dolphins and Bills I believe he had a grand total of half a sack and 2 tackles.....just as an example.

His podcasting and controversial remarks really don't mean anything to me as long as his production is CONSISTENT against all teams. And to your point, there's little to gain by tying him up with big money if the Interior line continues to be a turnstile.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You can't coach a team by intentionally curtailing a player's production hoping to keep his contract expectations lower. You play to win, and you don't take the foot off the gas unless it's late in the game with a huge lead.

Loso86

Reaction score

Oh let's limit our top.guys so we don't have to pay them alot....lol yea ok! You by they way would be a horrible coach and or Gm!