Why feed a player in contract year?

fivetwos

Reaction score
He may just be on the wrong defense. I speak to his trailing off in production the 2nd half of both seasons. Against the Dolphins and Bills I believe he had a grand total of half a sack and 2 tackles.....just as an example.

His podcasting and controversial remarks really don't mean anything to me as long as his production is CONSISTENT against all teams. And to your point, there's little to gain by tying him up with big money if the Interior line continues to be a turnstile.
I think he is an elite rusher, but can be eliminated against better teams given the gaping holes elsewhere in the Dallas defense.

These two have no real plan to fix it, and I expect things to get to where it’s awkward at best when he can’t get his numbers.

I mean I dunno, is this the plan? Make the rest of the team so bad that they think they can get the big three at discounts due to declined stats? I really wouldn’t dismiss it.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I have often wondered why teams allow players to pad the hell out of stats in a contract year.

Cee Dee was great last year... but we fed him the ball like crazy, often in times when we probably could have not needed to get him the ball. By doing so, Lamb had a CAREER year. His stats are off the charts productive, and wouldnt you know it... its right when we need to do his damn contract.

Name me another team that has a top 3 QB, top 3 WR and top 3 pass rusher as far as contracts go.

There may be some IM not aware of, but Parsons and Lamb are about to break the bank, and Dak is damn sure going to try to.

Look at the number of targets Lamb had last season..... insane. Im sorry to say it, and it might be a form of collusion in a back door sort of way, but if im the coach, as soon as a game is in hand, Lamb is out and im purposely trying to not feed the guy in games we didnt need to to keep the numbers down.

Yea yea... i know, im just a fool....... maybe, but i would not have gotten a guy 180 something targets in a contract year.
So, your suggesting they deliberately sabotage a player to avoid dealing with an upcoming contract.

Got it.

Is that how it works at your job? Q4 comes around and your boss undermines your performance so they don’t have to give you a good appraisal and raise at the end of the year?

Flamma

Reaction score
I have often wondered why teams allow players to pad the hell out of stats in a contract year.

Cee Dee was great last year... but we fed him the ball like crazy, often in times when we probably could have not needed to get him the ball. By doing so, Lamb had a CAREER year. His stats are off the charts productive, and wouldnt you know it... its right when we need to do his damn contract.

Name me another team that has a top 3 QB, top 3 WR and top 3 pass rusher as far as contracts go.

There may be some IM not aware of, but Parsons and Lamb are about to break the bank, and Dak is damn sure going to try to.

Look at the number of targets Lamb had last season..... insane. Im sorry to say it, and it might be a form of collusion in a back door sort of way, but if im the coach, as soon as a game is in hand, Lamb is out and im purposely trying to not feed the guy in games we didnt need to to keep the numbers down.

Yea yea... i know, im just a fool....... maybe, but i would not have gotten a guy 180 something targets in a contract year.
This entire thing could have been avoided by extending him last offseason. But Jerry likes to wait.

Unless I have doubts, I would extend players I want to keep after year 3. Especially if they are a 1st round pick. That gives you two extra years to spread out the cap hits.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
So, your suggesting they deliberately sabotage a player to avoid dealing with an upcoming contract.

Got it.

Is that how it works at your job? Q4 comes around and your boss undermines your performance so they don’t have to give you a good appraisal and raise at the end of the year?
hardly..... but you dont need to give a guy top 15 in targets ALL TIME in a contract year just to appease him. No way in hell did we need to give him the ball that much when we had 8 wins of over 20 points last season.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
This entire thing could have been avoided by extending him last offseason. But Jerry likes to wait.

Unless I have doubts, I would extend players I want to keep after year 3. Especially if they are a 1st round pick. That gives you two extra years to spread out the cap hits.
That's the part I don't understand. If you know who the player is, why even wait? The longer you wait, the higher the price. Been that way for a long time. The cap goes up, the rich get richer, inflation, whatever you want to call it -- it's going to be higher the next year, and maybe even by a large margin if someone just reset the market. Yes, you might pay more than their rookie contract's last years, but it pays off in the end as you get to your new contract's end and other players are signing for more. Assuming they don't hold out. LOL Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Flamma

Reaction score
Cowboy Troy Aikman did not get his second contract until after he won a Super Bowl December 1993. Cowboy Emmitt did not get his contract until after winning a Super Bowl and holding out 2 games into the regular season.

So, what is the big deal of have Jonesboys who have not won anything earn their contract.
The Emmitt situation was bizarre. They couldn't come to an agreement on Emmitt's new contract. He was not under contract. He couldn't play if he wanted to. Unless he agreed to Jerry's terms.

Flamma

Reaction score
That's the part I don't understand. If you know who the player is, why even wait? The longer you wait, the higher the price. Been that way for a long time. The cap goes up, the rich get richer, inflation, whatever you want to call it -- it's going to be higher the next year, and maybe even by a large margin if someone just reset the market. Yes, you might pay more than their rookie contract's last years, but it pays off in the end as you get to your new contract's end and other players are signing for more. Assuming they don't hold out. LOL Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Jerry likes to pay top dollar.

Just one nitpick. Rookie contracts are not replaced. Lets say Parsons gets a 4 year 100M dollar extension today. His extension wouldn't start until 2026. The 5M he gets this year, and his 5th year option money just gets added to that 100M over the 6 year span. So they don't even have to pay more than the last year's of his rookie contract.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Why doesn't our GM know how to build a balanced team, so we don't have to feed just 1 player? Who then still complains when he does not get the ball.

Who will most likely hold out this season.

But some fans still think GM Jethro is holding the cards.

Why would I play for $17M on a 1 year deal and risk injury, after the season CD just had?

He can easily force a 5 year $125M+, with a $100M guaranteed.

GM Jethro is most likely not even having conversations. Now is the time to find out what his demands are!!! That way if they are too high you can trade him now.

GM Jethro will wait until after the draft and then be caught with his pants down again when CD holds out.

GM Jethro clueless.

Martin's hold out completely blindsided GM Jethro. CD will do the same thing, then Micah and so on.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So you either want them to build a team of mediocre guys, Or win with every single one of stars to be on rookie deals? Both are hard to do.
:huh:

my point wasn't about winning. its about maximizing profits. the two aren't necessarily aligned. as long as Jerry maximizes profits, he is good.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
The Emmitt situation was bizarre. They couldn't come to an agreement on Emmitt's new contract. He was not under contract. He couldn't play if he wanted to. Unless he agreed to Jerry's terms.
Yes, He hit all the incentives to void the contract. The main issue is he earned it be the first RB to lead the league in rushing and winning a Super Bowl. Dak, Cee Dee, Micah and everyone since 1996 have done nothing to earn their contracts on a team goal level or what use to be the team goal for the Cowboys, going to Conference Championship games, and winning Super Bowls. So, that is why Jimmy was so upset with Jerry causing the holdout or making it a holdout.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yes, He hit all the incentives to void the contract. The main issue is he earned it be the first RB to lead the league in rushing and winning a Super Bowl. Dak, Cee Dee, Micah and everyone since 1996 have done nothing to earn their contracts on a team goal level or what use to be the team goal for the Cowboys, going to Conference Championship games, and winning Super Bowls. So, that is why Jimmy was so upset with Jerry causing the holdout or making it a holdout.
I get the overall point that's trying to be made here. But Jimmy was doing everything he could to put a winning team on the field. We can't say that about what Jerry has been doing. He's the GM, and responsible for fielding a team that can win. Good teams exploit our run D, then it's all downhill from there.

On a side note. I watched an interview with Jerry Jones back during the Emmitt squabble. I'll always remember one thing Jerry said, and I'm paraphrasing because it's been so long. We're moving away from these really big contracts. It's not something the league is doing anymore. It went something like that. I didn't know what he meant at the time, but now I'm assuming it was about the salary cap coming into play. Needless to say, that had me worried.

cowboyed

Reaction score
If said player becomes anorexic how effective will he possibly be?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Had Lamb got say, 80% of the production he had last year he still would be getting paid.

We knew before the season started that his new deal would be at the top of the WRs.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

CeeDee was the best wide receiver in the NFL next to Tyreek last season. You feed that talent the football. I guess you’re not tired of Amari going to sleep every other game.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

I don't know if it's exactly padding, but for some reason they just become great because they know it's time for their current deal to be over. Perfect example to me was D-law!!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Beware the guy who suddenly plays much better in a contract year than he normally does. That is a player looking to get that bag then check out again. Seen it happen to the Cowboys more than once the last couple of decades.
d-law!!!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I have often wondered why teams allow players to pad the hell out of stats in a contract year
I'm pretty sure his agent is going to scream sabotage if you do anything that limits his stats and guess what? Now he's ticketed off and it may cost you more to stop him and his client from walking.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This^^^^^^^more times than not coaches are simply trying to win ball games to save their own a_____. If that means feeding #88 or rushing 30 times coz opponents can't stop it, so be it.

What about the reverse of this.........your star WR KNOWS you are keeping his number down coz of the contract year and starts dogging. Playing a game or season where a contract is more of a priority and than winning is just bad.........