Why feed a player in contract year?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
He is getting #1 money whether or not he stays in Dallas. May as well feed the Dawg.
then we feed the dog, the dog does good to get the bones, gets the bone, and no longer WANTS the bone. Which gives us something to talk about in a few seasons on this wonderful blog lounge!!!

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure his agent is going to scream sabotage if you do anything that limits his stats and guess what? Now he's ticketed off and it may cost you more to stop him and his client from walking.
lamd has another year and he can be tagged 2 times. Hes going nowhere unless they want him gone. You could leave him in games all game and just not call plays for him... its not hard to do.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Had Lamb got say, 80% of the production he had last year he still would be getting paid.

We knew before the season started that his new deal would be at the top of the WRs.
you ever wonder if the amount they get is also due to being a Cowboy? More media, overhyped.... Just look at the center we just lost. You think he is getting the money he just got if he had been playing for the Cards the previous 3 seasons?

You think Pollard is getting what he got if he had been a Jet the previous 3 years?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
lamd has another year and he can be tagged 2 times. Hes going nowhere unless they want him gone. You could leave him in games all game and just not call plays for him... its not hard to do.
Sure you can.......but what kind of message are sending to his teammates? I'm pretty sure their agents will take notes. If you are doing this to one of the best players on the team........what chance do I have?

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
You could say they were gonna try to get the best out of him and then set up a great trade for draft picks. But i don't think these two are smart enough or calculating enough to think that far ahead. Dak is a one read QB and CD was his first option on many pass plays. He will force it to him if necessary. I have said before, we may have just seen CD's best season as a pro...Don't expect better play from him just because he will be getting $35m a year.

Bagman

Reaction score
To be fair, CeeDee is an ascending player. He's been increasing his numbers every year. He's gotten better and more dangerous as a scoring threat. He's pretty much impossible to cover one on one. All you can ask for from a player is to work hard AND get better. He's done both. I have no problem with CeeDee getting paid.

Flamma

Reaction score
That would be absolutely idiotic. That's a maximum cap hit for 3 years straight. The worst possible thing you can do. A franchise tag is to save the owner money over the long haul. It's not what's best for the cap.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I have often wondered why teams allow players to pad the hell out of stats in a contract year.

Cee Dee was great last year... but we fed him the ball like crazy, often in times when we probably could have not needed to get him the ball. By doing so, Lamb had a CAREER year. His stats are off the charts productive, and wouldnt you know it... its right when we need to do his damn contract.

Name me another team that has a top 3 QB, top 3 WR and top 3 pass rusher as far as contracts go.

There may be some IM not aware of, but Parsons and Lamb are about to break the bank, and Dak is damn sure going to try to.

Look at the number of targets Lamb had last season..... insane. Im sorry to say it, and it might be a form of collusion in a back door sort of way, but if im the coach, as soon as a game is in hand, Lamb is out and im purposely trying to not feed the guy in games we didnt need to to keep the numbers down.

Yea yea... i know, im just a fool....... maybe, but i would not have gotten a guy 180 something targets in a contract year.
So let me get this straight and by the way the 1st post under here that posted after you posted he's correct it's kind of obvious but you wanna pay a man$17 million on his fifth year option or whatever it is and purposely not give him the ball and lose games because of it money is not really truly part of the game that's the business side when you get on the field you're playing 11 on 11 you use your best players at all times and your goal is to win games not tank to try to make a smaller contract for somebody it's kind of obvious his resume is already set now it's just how long is the contract gonna be what's the yearly AAV what's his bonus money gonna be he's getting paid either from the Cowboys or somebody else you can't hide that anymore....

Reid1boys

Reaction score
So let me get this straight and by the way the 1st post under here that posted after you posted he's correct it's kind of obvious but you wanna pay a man$17 million on his fifth year option or whatever it is and purposely not give him the ball and lose games because of it money is not really truly part of the game that's the business side when you get on the field you're playing 11 on 11 you use your best players at all times and your goal is to win games not tank to try to make a smaller contract for somebody it's kind of obvious his resume is already set now it's just how long is the contract gonna be what's the yearly AAV what's his bonus money gonna be he's getting paid either from the Cowboys or somebody else you can't hide that anymore....
I never said a word about tanking. I said the Cowboys had 8 wins of 20 or more points last year. Im not thinking Cee dee needed to be in the game with 8 minutes left up 3tds and still getting 2-3 more catches for 40 more yards at that point. Players are absolutely paid based upon stats. I just cant see a reason to INFLATE a players stats when it is not needed.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
That would be absolutely idiotic. That's a maximum cap hit for 3 years straight. The worst possible thing you can do. A franchise tag is to save the owner money over the long haul. It's not what's best for the cap.
did I say they should tag him? I said he isnt going anywhere and that tag is the reason why. Players dont want to play under the tag, they want to get paid.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Sure you can.......but what kind of message are sending to his teammates? I'm pretty sure their agents will take notes. If you are doing this to one of the best players on the team........what chance do I have?
I DIDNT SAY TO TAG HIM... i said that is the reason he isnt going anywhere in response to whomeever said the player will just leave.... the players is only leaving if the team wants him to leave.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I have often wondered why teams allow players to pad the hell out of stats in a contract year.

Cee Dee was great last year... but we fed him the ball like crazy, often in times when we probably could have not needed to get him the ball. By doing so, Lamb had a CAREER year. His stats are off the charts productive, and wouldnt you know it... its right when we need to do his damn contract.

Name me another team that has a top 3 QB, top 3 WR and top 3 pass rusher as far as contracts go.

There may be some IM not aware of, but Parsons and Lamb are about to break the bank, and Dak is damn sure going to try to.

Look at the number of targets Lamb had last season..... insane. Im sorry to say it, and it might be a form of collusion in a back door sort of way, but if im the coach, as soon as a game is in hand, Lamb is out and im purposely trying to not feed the guy in games we didnt need to to keep the numbers down.

Yea yea... i know, im just a fool....... maybe, but i would not have gotten a guy 180 something targets in a contract year.
Well did we have another WR to feed?

blueblood70

Reaction score
I never said a word about tanking. I said the Cowboys had 8 wins of 20 or more points last year. Im not thinking Cee dee needed to be in the game with 8 minutes left up 3tds and still getting 2-3 more catches for 40 more yards at that point. Players are absolutely paid based upon stats. I just cant see a reason to INFLATE a players stats when it is not needed.
You still just played from whistle to whistle and you pull the players as needed yeah maybe more of the players needed to be pulled but not for your reasons not for contract reasons that's silly... When you pull the quarterback then you should pull the stars around him and the same thing on defense wave the white flag...

But you did see what happened though even though it wasn't a real comeback but when Green Bay started waving the right white flag the Cowboys started catching up they had to bring in some starters to stop the bleeding so you never know sometimes coaches do what they feel... But they for sure don't coach with contracts in mind they don't think about stats they're just keeping players in there to finish the game off which by the way think about this....

Last year this offense got off to a slow start because it thought we were gonna have a great defense so they were gonna play conservative football when they realized they couldn't run the football and they're going to need to score more they had to open it up therefore they were using parts of the playbook they didn't really plan for and this was a brand new offense so they used every opportunity in a live game to get better within this offense...​
So I agree at some point you should pull your starters to keep them from getting hurt and to keep them fresh but never for what you're thinking...​
17 games is a lot and when you think about it tank says he was tired some of the team was tired which is ridiculous for a honed athlete to say he was tired when the rest of the league all have to play the same amount of games but like the NBA does you can probably be better as a coach to find ways to get guys rest.. It always bothered me when Micah Parsons has been in there and games that were completely settled one way or the other whether we were losing big or winning big and he's still in there limping trying to get a sack... So yes and that way it does bug me but that's up to the coaches and has nothing to do with money or contracts..​
Also if that were like known and spoke of do something like you're suggesting the players union and the agents would have a field day with that you pulling players to keep them from achieving bonuses and whatnot...​

Chasing6

Reaction score
Same reason Micha wants to stay in the game to chase sack records and MVP's and then wonders why he is worn down after week 10.

He gets a lot of sacks against garbage teams, when they game is out of reach.

Flamma

Reaction score
did I say they should tag him? I said he isnt going anywhere and that tag is the reason why. Players dont want to play under the tag, they want to get paid.
Cry me a river. He'd be paid over a million a game under the tag. Once certain players get tagged, they're set for life, who cares what they want beyond that?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Cry me a river. He'd be paid over a million a game under the tag. Once certain players get tagged, they're set for life, who cares what they want beyond that?
As a player, if you believe your number 1 at your position, why would you settle for average of top 5 for 1 year and risk injury?

Any legit agent would not let that fly.

Flamma

Reaction score
As a player, if you believe your number 1 at your position, why would you settle for average of top 5 for 1 year and risk injury?

Any legit agent would not let that fly.
Because you don't have a choice if the team you're playing for plays hardball. Because you'll sit out the season and make no money. Remember LeVeon Bell? Did his agent compensate him for all the money he lost from holding out the season? I imagine not. Besides that, who cares if you believe you're number 1? Everyone believes they're number 1.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Because you don't have a choice if the team you're playing for plays hardball. Because you'll sit out the season and make no money. Remember LeVeon Bell? Did his agent compensate him for all the money he lost from holding out the season? I imagine not. Besides that, who cares if you believe you're number 1? Everyone believes they're number 1.
You do have a choice. It is called holding out.

GM Jethro has no other legit WR's on the team.

He will blink almost immediately.

We are not strapped for money? He is not spending it somewhere else to make the team better. How does he justify not paying CD???