Why feed a player in contract year?

John813

Reaction score
Brilliant.

Take your best players out of the playbook to save a few million on the AAV.

Someone send this to Stephen, he may actually enforce this.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I get the overall point that's trying to be made here. But Jimmy was doing everything he could to put a winning team on the field. We can't say that about what Jerry has been doing. He's the GM, and responsible for fielding a team that can win. Good teams exploit our run D, then it's all downhill from there.

On a side note. I watched an interview with Jerry Jones back during the Emmitt squabble. I'll always remember one thing Jerry said, and I'm paraphrasing because it's been so long. We're moving away from these really big contracts. It's not something the league is doing anymore. It went something like that. I didn't know what he meant at the time, but now I'm assuming it was about the salary cap coming into play. Needless to say, that had me worried.
Hint to the wise and sufficient....Don't listen to Jerry Dumbo GM Jones about Football. Business yes. Football No. Don't worry, even his wife says he "can't leave a well enough alone". That means a continuation of what has happen since March 1994 (fired Jimmy Johnson).

blueblood70

Reaction score
Cry me a river. He'd be paid over a million a game under the tag. Once certain players get tagged, they're set for life, who cares what they want beyond that?
He's making $17 million under his fifth year option that's already been accepted yeah $1 million a game and there are rumors that he's gonna hold out their false rumors but still it's ridiculous to think he would try to pull a lady on bell or Antonio Brown and try to hold the Cowboys up when he's already got $1,000,000 a game coming...

BigD_95

Reaction score
I have often wondered why teams allow players to pad the hell out of stats in a contract year.

Cee Dee was great last year... but we fed him the ball like crazy, often in times when we probably could have not needed to get him the ball. By doing so, Lamb had a CAREER year. His stats are off the charts productive, and wouldnt you know it... its right when we need to do his damn contract.

Name me another team that has a top 3 QB, top 3 WR and top 3 pass rusher as far as contracts go.

There may be some IM not aware of, but Parsons and Lamb are about to break the bank, and Dak is damn sure going to try to.

Look at the number of targets Lamb had last season..... insane. Im sorry to say it, and it might be a form of collusion in a back door sort of way, but if im the coach, as soon as a game is in hand, Lamb is out and im purposely trying to not feed the guy in games we didnt need to to keep the numbers down.

Yea yea... i know, im just a fool....... maybe, but i would not have gotten a guy 180 something targets in a contract year.

it wasnt a contract year. He is under contract this coming season and they can tag him 2 more years

Chasing6

Reaction score
it wasnt a contract year. He is under contract this coming season and they can tag him 2 more years
True, but most GM's understand it is a contract year.

If you are worth a $100/hour. Are you going to go to work at $75/hour?

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
True, but most GM's understand it is a contract year.

If you are worth a $100/hour. Are you going to go to work at $75/hour?
Don't make the mistake of straight up comparisons of mundane jobs and professional competitions. If you want to win a championship then you have to be willing to play for less in a capped league just as Brady and Mahomes have done.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Don't make the mistake of straight up comparisons of mundane jobs and professional competitions. If you want to win a championship then you have to be willing to play for less in a capped league just as Brady and Mahomes have done.
Winning a Championship is secondary. When are fans going to understand that? It is easy for a fan to say take less.

If it was that easy the salary cap would go down every year.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Im well aware of where is in his contract status. But this is typically when 1st rd picks get extended. This, it is essentially a contract year.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I have often wondered why teams allow players to pad the hell out of stats in a contract year.

Cee Dee was great last year... but we fed him the ball like crazy, often in times when we probably could have not needed to get him the ball. By doing so, Lamb had a CAREER year. His stats are off the charts productive, and wouldnt you know it... its right when we need to do his damn contract.

Name me another team that has a top 3 QB, top 3 WR and top 3 pass rusher as far as contracts go.

There may be some IM not aware of, but Parsons and Lamb are about to break the bank, and Dak is damn sure going to try to.

Look at the number of targets Lamb had last season..... insane. Im sorry to say it, and it might be a form of collusion in a back door sort of way, but if im the coach, as soon as a game is in hand, Lamb is out and im purposely trying to not feed the guy in games we didnt need to to keep the numbers down.

Yea yea... i know, im just a fool....... maybe, but i would not have gotten a guy 180 something targets in a contract year.
Why you say? So we can trade him for a crap load of draft picks.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/Dallas-Cowboys-CeeDee-Lamb-Trade-rumor-Mess-Jerry-Jones-contract

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Ive been pretty much a ... Im ok with whatever the front office choses to do type of guy. Most stuff is not right or wrong, but just a choice to do things this way or that way. BUT..... if for some reason, the cowboys screw around and trade CeeDee Lamb, you will be seeing myself and DieHardBlues going out to dinner together so we can drink to the downfall of Jerry Jones.

When you drafted Lamb in the first rd, you hope tat you picked the right guy.... and well, you did. Congrats, you struck gold with your 1st rd pick. Many times, teams miss big and it is a wasted pick. BUt no Dallas Cowboys, you made the right pick and landed a superstar. If you now go out and screw things up by trading this guy, you will see me on this board being a Jerry basher.

Cmon Jerry, just give the guy his damn money and smile.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Ive been pretty much a ... Im ok with whatever the front office choses to do type of guy. Most stuff is not right or wrong, but just a choice to do things this way or that way. BUT..... if for some reason, the cowboys screw around and trade CeeDee Lamb, you will be seeing myself and DieHardBlues going out to dinner together so we can drink to the downfall of Jerry Jones.

When you drafted Lamb in the first rd, you hope tat you picked the right guy.... and well, you did. Congrats, you struck gold with your 1st rd pick. Many times, teams miss big and it is a wasted pick. BUt no Dallas Cowboys, you made the right pick and landed a superstar. If you now go out and screw things up by trading this guy, you will see me on this board being a Jerry basher.

Cmon Jerry, just give the guy his damn money and smile.
I agree, but will he be a super star with an unproven QB and rebuilt Oline?

Will he want to sign a new deal, not knowing who his QB will be in 2025? If it is just about money he will sign it.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I agree, but will he be a super star with an unproven QB and rebuilt Oline?

Will he want to sign a new deal, not knowing who his QB will be in 2025? If it is just about money he will sign it.
hes publicly said he wants to be a Cowboy. Jerry has also shown he will pay his stars. i dont see Lamb going anywhere... but if he does leave..... i will seriously be slamming jerry for messing up big time.

Chasing6

Reaction score
hes publicly said he wants to be a Cowboy. Jerry has also shown he will pay his stars. i dont see Lamb going anywhere... but if he does leave..... i will seriously be slamming jerry for messing up big time.
I think that is a standard comment for anyone under contract, that they want to be with there current team.