Why Hasn't Dalton Shultz Signed A Long Term Contract Yet

kskboys

Reaction score
Every TE gets some short passes, but stop the ridiculous commentary as if that is pretty much all there is. The man didn't have the 6th most yards of any TE in the NFL on 3-5 yard passes.

And quit acting like he is catching all uncontested balls while there are scads of other TE's that are catching mostly contested balls. That's just fabricated nonsense.

And quit tying the fact the team hasn't won in the playoffs solely to the TE position. I noticed you the other day claiming you have been right about the TE position for years because the team hasn't won, yet you conveniently ignore that over the same time period we have had players manning every other position on the field. It's ridiculously illogical to apply that standard to only one position.

The fact is he is not Kelce, Andrews, Waller or Kittle level. Not by any stretch. We all know that. But he is easily the next tier after, and while it would be great to have a Kelce, Andrews, Waller, Kittle level guy, being next tier ain't bad. There are a number of positions where the team would be better off if it had players that were next tier after the truly elite.
Schultz is a good solid hard nosed player who is getting better. Striving to replace him would be a huge waste of resources.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Schultz is a good solid hard nosed player who is getting better. Striving to replace him would be a huge waste of resources.
Exactly There are other areas where we have much lower level starters that should get focused on. LG, RT & D-Line all come to mind. One could argue other areas as well.

Motorola

Reaction score
We got baited by Philly. They were like we can't possibly win these games do ofso let Schultz score 4 TDs in hopes they sign him to a long term deal like Blake The Giant killer

If we never play another division rival the last week of the season I'll be a happy
You know the schedule makers do that now for every team. It's supposed to make all games relevant that weekend.
Been that way for quite some time now = 15 years.
Detroit Lions played the Dallas Cowboys for their last game in 2006.
Since then, both teams have played their division rivals only for their season finale.
Pretty sure that's the norm for the rest of the league also.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Exactly There are other areas where we have much lower level starters that should get focused on. LG, RT & D-Line all come to mind. One could argue other areas as well.

Were just putting too much emphasis on the stats and the overinvolved role hes playing in this offense

You're exactly right he's not a dominant te like Gronk, Kittle, etc. He's more of an old man Witten from 7-8 years ago without #82s better blocking skills.

We need to scale back his involvement and quit treating him like hes as a top 2-3 target.

He's a avg te on 1st and 2nd down.

But on 3rd down and in the red zone he's a 5th option receiver about like Witten 2.0

He has no go up and get a ball skills or any gamechanging skillsets.

The best he's ever gonna be is part of a Te by COMMITTEE.

We still don't have a starting #2 te so te is still a needed position of need unless you got hopes for McKeon or Sprinkle

Jfconrow

Reaction score
Probably because Dallas has yet to guarantee any one’s salary. I could see Shultz getting 5 years 60m with 30 guaranteed.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Not only far outplayed expectations, but at least as a receiver has outplayed any TE the Cowboys have had since Witten's 2013 season. After years of Witten fading a little more each year we finally have a viable and valuable receiving TE, and we just want to rag on him.

He put up 10 yard averages and only scored 4 tds in 16 games against teams not named the philadelphia eagles. Lmao.

He's more Blake Jarwin'ish than he is George kittle.

Ya can't pay top te money to non differencemaker skilled players. Fa was full of avg tes from 3-5 million.

I told ya Jarwin was a bust the minute we signed him and he only lasted 1 game lol

You sold us the same koolaide then rogers. The same with Swaim, Hanna, old man Witten. Lol.

When Jarwin came back he was the projected Starter over Schultz going into this year btw

It doesn't sound like an 11 million dollar te move to me.

He's a Witten 2.0 that will never be more than a Te by committee because he has no game winning skillsets

Every year it's a different excuse except our lame te core but the 1 and done playoff record is still alive

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
We did have a better receiving te core last year than in 8+ years

Part of that is because we had had 2 mediocre tes for a while.

Versus a mediocre te and practice squad scrub level te like in years past.

It still was still a far cry from being playoff winning worthy

I'd rather have 2 mediocre tes than one. Not if it costs us 22 million though. Lol

Pigs will fly before we win a non wildcard playoff game with this scheme. Not w the talent we have at te rn

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Were just putting too much emphasis on the stats and the overinvolved role hes playing in this offense

You're exactly right he's not a dominant te like Gronk, Kittle, etc. He's more of an old man Witten from 7-8 years ago without #82s better blocking skills.

We need to scale back his involvement and quit treating him like hes as a top 2-3 target.

He's a avg te on 1st and 2nd down.

But on 3rd down and in the red zone he's a 5th option receiver about like Witten 2.0

He has no go up and get a ball skills or any gamechanging skillsets.

The best he's ever gonna be is part of a Te by COMMITTEE.

We still don't have a starting #2 te so te is still a needed position of need unless you got hopes for McKeon or Sprinkle
That's funny because until Schultz started putting up stats you're whole argument about the Cowboys TE's was because they weren't putting up stats. Now that Schultz is producing, suddenly stats don't matter.

It's also funny in the past you argued against the need for a TE in the game to block as well as catch passes, and now you're downgrading Schultz because of a deficiency in blocking skills

As for your stats about downs, that's just stuff you pull out of the air to create an argument. You have no statistical foundation for it. It's not just twisting facts, it's making them up.

Bottom line is you don't base your argument on facts, you twist or fabricate facts to fit your argument.

Can't have a reasonable discussion with a man so blindly committed to a position he will reverse his arguments and fabricate facts. Feel free to continue your nonsensical rants without me.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
That's funny because until Schultz started putting up stats you're whole argument about the Cowboys TE's was because they weren't putting up stats. Now that Schultz is producing, suddenly stats don't matter.

It's also funny in the past you argued against the need for a TE in the game to block as well as catch passes, and now you're downgrading Schultz because of a deficiency in blocking skills

As for your stats about downs, that's just stuff you pull out of the air to create an argument. You have no statistical foundation for it. It's not just twisting facts, it's making them up.

Bottom line is you don't base your argument on facts, you twist or fabricate facts to fit your argument.

Can't have a reasonable discussion with a man so blindly committed to a position he will reverse his arguments and fabricate facts. Feel free to continue your nonsensical rants without me.

I'm just stating the facts

#82 had alot of stats. Were they game winning stats or just completion stats?

I'm not arguing that Schultz is not worthy of having a role in our offense. Or that he is completely lacking in skillsets.

But he's only 1 te in a dominant starting 2 te scheme so ya have to consider 2 tes into the equation (not just the one). Some of us are overlooking that we have a HOLE w Jarwin Gone.

I'd rather have Jarwin than McKeon.

Or 2 Mediocre tes for 11 million or Less.

I dont think old man Witten, Swaim, Jarwin, and all of the rest of our mediocre tes in the last 10+ years are the Everysnap never come off the field players. never did never will.

I think they are ALL tes or Skillsets by COMMITTEE

I think the Next man up mentality leaves too much meat on the bone. Just like when we only use Zeke.

I'd rather use an exclusive 11 personell w one avg te than use a 12 personell with a 2nd scrub te out there

And on alot of 3rd downs, in the red zone, in the 4th quarter, or on any plays where we need a Gamechanger Schultz, Jarwin, Swaim, and Old man Witten is woulda been SUBSTITUTED FOR A BETTER SKILLSET.

That's what I've argued

We got too many tes on the field not making plays because they are lacking in a specific SKILLSET for that down and distance

Last edited:

John813

Reaction score
I would assume the draft will tell us the answer on how serious the team is on a long term deal.

If no TE drafted in day 2/early 3 then I'd say a long term deal would be likely with the team just taking their time on getting the paperwork squared away.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
If we drafted Jelani Woods and he turned out to be Kyle Pitts he'd have to play the #2 blocking te role under Schultz in this Next man up Scheme. Lol.

It would be just like Martellus Bennett. Lmao.

That's how ignorant our NEXT MAN UP philosophy is. The soooner we EVOLVE into a TE BY COMMITTEE scheme is when this team might win something.

Danny White use to be a QB and a Punter but did every QB after that have to punt???

It's sdupid

It's 3rd and 26 and the games on the line and we got Swaim and Schultz going Long. Ha ha ha

Wake up ROGERS

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score

We had 2 mediocre tes

All we did was cut 1 mediocre te and Franchise tag the other one.

That still only leaves us with 1 mediocre te

McKeon is definitely a big dropoff in talent compared to Jarwin.

I'm not sure where Sprinkle is at this point.

We very seldom integrate backup players into the lineup so they're usually just a dead roster spot all year unless they play special teams

I do think we'll have to pick up a te in fa if we're gonna continue w the "Tradition" of using this old 12 personnel running scheme

Prolly after the draft so the comp picks don't count against us.

I just hope we get a Te with some different Skillsets.

Preferably a Red Zone Te that can go up and get a ball and Score like an Aaron Hernandez, Jimmy Graham, or Jared Cook

That's really all we're Lacking.

conner01

Reaction score
We had 2 mediocre tes

All we did was cut 1 mediocre te and Franchise tag the other one.

That still only leaves us with 1 mediocre te

McKeon is definitely a big dropoff in talent compared to Jarwin.

I'm not sure where Sprinkle is at this point.

We very seldom integrate backup players into the lineup so they're usually just a dead roster spot all year unless they play special teams

I do think we'll have to pick up a te in fa if we're gonna continue w the "Tradition" of using this old 12 personnel running scheme

Prolly after the draft so the comp picks don't count against us.

I just hope we get a Te with some different Skillsets.

Preferably a Red Zone Te that can go up and get a ball and Score like an Aaron Hernandez, Jimmy Graham, or Jared Cook

That's really all we're Lacking.
He had the second most TD by a TE
3rd in receptions
6th in yards
If that mediocre then we need some more mediocre players

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
He had the second most TD by a TE
3rd in receptions
6th in yards
If that mediocre then we need some more mediocre players

He definitely played good and put up great stats. He definitely beat out Jarwin as the starter #1 te this year.

I'd rank Schultz somewhere around the 15th best te or somewhere in the Middle aka Mediocre

But there are way better Tes than Schultz ever thought about being that didn't put up as good of Stats as he did this year.

Gronk is a Prime Example.

Black and White Stats arent everything. Keep in mind he didn't put those Stats in noncontract years or in years past.

That would be like saying Demarco Murray was better than Adrian Peterson based upon stats. Lol.

Ya put Schultz on the Detroit lions and he might get ranked even lower js

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
You can't talk to the guy. He's so determined to hate Schultz, that he's not going to like him no matter what.
I don't hate Schultz at all. That's not true.

But I'm not gonna overvalue him or his involvement either.

I'll go on record and say I prefer a deep baller and red zone #1 te that can go up and get a ball.

But a possession receiving te that can block brings needed skillsets also.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
You can't talk to the guy. He's so determined to hate Schultz, that he's not going to like him no matter what.
I wouldn't be utilizing Schultz as an everydown receiver. He'd be part of a te committee considering he's just a possession receiving te.
Im just not paying a premium for a possession receiving te.

That's like paying Beasely amari cooper money imo

Alot of y'all may not get that. But that's how I view the te position. 2 classifications

You have your alpha dog deep ball red zone 50/50 baller te that's a big play receiver

And you got your possession receiving te that's the better blocker and checkdown safety valve.

I see Schultz as another possession receiver just like Beasely. When he develops his deep ball and 50/50 ball skills I'll pay him top dollar

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
If I can't find a gronk that can do everything I'll run a committee of tes that has all the skillsets

Just like Zeke and Pollard have different skillsets. Our run game and offense would suffer without both rbs

Our offense suffers because we don't have the right skillsets at te also

Football is all about having the right mix of skillsets. It not about the next man up

Last edited:

conner01

Reaction score
He definitely played good and put up great stats. He definitely beat out Jarwin as the starter #1 te this year.

I'd rank Schultz somewhere around the 15th best te or somewhere in the Middle aka Mediocre

But there are way better Tes than Schultz ever thought about being that didn't put up as good of Stats as he did this year.

Gronk is a Prime Example.

Black and White Stats arent everything. Keep in mind he didn't put those Stats in noncontract years or in years past.

That would be like saying Demarco Murray was better than Adrian Peterson based upon stats. Lol.

Ya put Schultz on the Detroit lions and he might get ranked even lower js
Gronk is near the end of what may be a HOF career
No one would think Murray was better than AP and he didn’t have better stats either
Shultz has improved every year and you can’t compare his career stats to a guy like Gronk but then again he’s gonna be playing long after Gronk is retired
He put up one of the best seasons at the position this past year and that’s what you sign a guy for
There aren’t 10 better TE today and certainly not 15