Why have LVE & Jaylon regressed so much?

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The problem is the DTs. There's only so much a LB can do when the DTs get completely blown off the line on every play.
The thing is, we had similar quality DT play in 2018 when both were monsters.

It definitely doesn’t help, but I don’t know if that’s the cause for the drop off

Zordon

Reaction score
I noticed that also. Yapping it up with every Viking he passed.

I get it, you don’t have to hate your opponent - but don’t be their friend during the game. Soft move
When I first joined this site, I used to HATE Bradie James because he used to do the same nice guy act too. Jaylon, I'm sorry...I wonder about him sometimes. He looks content getting blocked out of plays. He looks like a ballerina at times out there the way he prances around.

lonestar2288

Reaction score
Consistently misused, uneven play and the fact they have little in the way of protection from the front 4 who are stunted WAY to often. The LB core have shown they can be the the strength of this team when consistently put in the right position scheme wise

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I'm as perplexed as you Woot, makes no sense what is going on with them. It has to be the scheme or injury. I can't put a finger on it. They seem lost, tentative, and scared to get hurt almost...

I have been saying it since last year when Richard took over....both are playing out of position. LVE should be playing the Mike...but he's not. Richard moved him...and he's been regressing ever since. LVE was becoming the vocal leader of the D...and it wasn't to Richards liking. The reason??? I'll let you figure it out....regardless....I'm getting the feeling there are 2 distinct cliques within the defense. And that's not good. :(

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
They definitely look like role players compared to their game last year. I think as whole the entire defense regressed after that butt kicking in LA. The days of bending and not breaking are gone.

Also like someone else mentioned earlier in the replies. I think they are just over pursuing and getting schemed against to use their aggressiveness against them.

DakBringMeBack

Reaction score
Vander Esch was never a stud to begin with. Played way over his head as a rookie. He will never be that player. Just a magical year, he peaked. He's just a guy.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
When I first joined this site, I used to HATE Bradie James because he used to do the same nice guy act too. Jaylon, I'm sorry...I wonder about him sometimes. He looks content getting blocked out of plays. He looks like a ballerina at times out there the way he prances around.
I think he likes the glamorous, “pretty” plays like getting sacks but he shies away from the uglier (necessary) duties of being a LB. It’s sad. He plays with no power at all, which is surprising because he is capable of laying some massive hits. But he’s like a little fairy and gets plowed off his line and provides zero resistance.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I have been saying it since last year when Richard took over....both are playing out of position. LVE should be playing the Mike...but he's not. Richard moved him...and he's been regressing ever since. LVE was becoming the vocal leader of the D...and it wasn't to Richards liking. The reason??? I'll let you figure it out....regardless....I'm getting the feeling there are 2 distinct cliques within the defense. And that's not good. :(
Could you elaborate on what you think it might be? You saying a divide between Richard’s guys and Marinelli? Or Richard and players?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Vander Esch was never a stud to begin with. Played way over his head as a rookie. He will never be that player. Just a magical year, he peaked. He's just a guy.

You have no idea. Get him in his natural position...the Mike Lber...and just watch him fly to the football. But then again...I got a good feeling you have no idea what I'm talking about.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Just add that to the long list of everything that comes back to coaching. We have talented players regressing, we have a team that continuously comes out with a lack of energy, we have questionable call after questionable call on offense, we have a talented front seven that gets gutted by the run more often than trout at a fish market,

we have defensive backs that are always out of position and never play the ball, and the tackling on defense is atrocious. I think it's time for new blood and quite a bit of it. I think it's time for a new coaching staff and a new defensive philosophy, it's time to blow it up before apathy takes me prisoner.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Our LBs are being manhandled by far bigger offensive linemen and TEs. Our lightweight DL is to blame for way too much of that. After being pummeled constantly in far too many games, it eventually beats them up and wears them down. We can thank Rod Marinelli for promoting that situation. It's just a flawed and outdated scheme that he's stubbornly clinging to. Unfortunately, Jerry and Stephen Jones are in denial of the truth. They're slow learners.

Last edited:

DakBringMeBack

Reaction score
You have no idea. Get him in his natural position...the Mike Lber...and just watch him fly to the football. But then again...I got a good feeling you have no idea what I'm talking about.

Yeah, I have a good feeling you don't pick 60% against the spread your entire life in pro football either like I have for 30 years. So I think I know plenty. I know whether we win or lose every sunday before the game is even played, and usually I know if we cover the number. Therefore, I know that Leighton Vander Esch is just a guy; and I knew Prescott was going to be one of the best players in the game a few games into his career and countless other things that we will be able to someday dig up. But I am glad a LB in your signature with a picture is your hero. Outside of Dallas, he's just a guy who was overdrafted, had a really nice rookie year and will never do that again. He's not Keuchly. He's not an all-timer. He's not even Sean Lee. He is just a guy in league circles.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Could you elaborate on what you think it might be? You saying a divide between Richard’s guys and Marinelli? Or Richard and players?

Both...Can't get into specifics....forum rules. Sorry. Believe me...I'd love nothing more than to get into what's going on behind the scenes. You just gotta look between the lines to see what is happening.

lonestar2288

Reaction score
How do you go from shutting down Saquan on the ground one week, and let Cook destroy you the next? Same with limiting a back like Kamara, just to let GB's running back look like the 2nd coming of sweetness. Scheme has a lot to do with that. Poor adjustments too. Just a plethora of blame to go around

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Folks need to stop looking at Jaylon as a charity case and feel good story.

He’s been bad this season. End of story.

The irony with him is that you see some big hits and you think he’s this rugged, throwback hard-hitting LB. The reality is he’s not very physical at all. He is horrible at taking on blocks and content with getting washed and sealed. Good LB blow up gaps/blockers to disrupt running lanes; he gets moved at-will.

Secondly, HE IS ATROCIOUS in space.

On two separate (just as a recent example) he completely whiffed on a ball carrier coming directly at him. He has this propensity for leaving his feet, arms straight-out and grabbing for jersey. That is absolutely embarrassing for a LB, especially one that’s supposedly a good one.

He was doing similar things last year but it was in the context of him coming back from injury with the notion he’d only continue to improve, but he simply hasn’t.

Today was one of his worst games I can remember.