Why have LVE & Jaylon regressed so much?

Jkw634

Reaction score
Folks need to stop looking at Jaylon as a charity case and feel good story.

He’s been bad this season. End of story.

The irony with him is that you see some big hits and you think he’s this rugged, throwback hard-hitting LB. The reality is he’s not very physical at all. He is horrible at taking on blocks and content with getting washed and sealed. Good LB blow up gaps/blockers to disrupt running lanes.

Secondly, HE IS ATROCIOUS in space.

On two separate (just as a recent example) he completely whiffed on a ball carrier coming directly at him. He has this propensity for leaving his feet, arms straight-out and grabbing for jersey. That is absolutely embarrassing for a LB, especially one that’s supposedly a good one.

He was doing similar things last year but it was in the context of him coming back from injury with the notion he’d only continue to improve, but he hasn’t.
Makes you wonder if it’s mental. If he is leaving his feet then he may not want to plant his feet then tackle. Subconsciously his mind is thinking about that knee.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a good feeling you don't pick 60% against the spread your entire life in pro football either like I have for 30 years. So I think I know plenty. I know whether we win or lose every sunday before the game is even played, and usually I know if we cover the number. Therefore, I know that Leighton Vander Esch is just a guy; and I knew Prescott was going to be one of the best players in the game a few games into his career and countless other things that we will be able to someday dig up. But I am glad a LB in your signature with a picture is your hero. Outside of Dallas, he's just a guy who was overdrafted, had a really nice rookie year and will never do that again. He's not Keuchly. He's not an all-timer. He's not even Sean Lee. He is just a guy in league circles.

LOL....so you have been making bets since your 6? because your profile says your 36....Anyway....carry on w/ your BS...and enjoy being on my ignore list. :rolleyes:

DakBringMeBack

Reaction score
Have a friend I just texted - scouts for a team in the NFC not in our division.

Smith is not the same physically despite being able to turn it on sometimes. He's never come back completely from the injury, when he shows promise; that's how much of a freak he was/is. Will never be a '10' again physically, and you're seeing that in his play now sometimes.

Vander esch jury is out, most people thought he was a 2 or 3 round pick in league circles at most. Not a difference maker but people in Dallas probably believe different, time will tell.

That was the just of his texts

DakBringMeBack

Reaction score
LOL....so you have been making bets since your 6? because your profile says your 36....Anyway....carry on w/ your BS...and enjoy being on my ignore list. :rolleyes:

You're probably one of the guys who wanted to see Cooper Rush. Continue onward with your Vander Esch fantasy as he becomes an Andra Davis re-incarnate. Anyone still talk about Andra Davis? No. Go look him up.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’m wondering if Jerry is regretting prematurely signing Jaylon to that extension.

nah, I doubt it. He threw charity money to Jaylon. I just hope things turn around

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Makes you wonder if it’s mental. If he is leaving his feet then he may not want to plant his feet then tackle. Subconsciously his mind is thinking about that knee.

I think he definitely does it because he has trouble breaking down and adjusting in space; it could be mental based on his physical limitations.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Folks need to stop looking at Jaylon as a charity case and feel good story.

He’s been bad this season. End of story.

The irony with him is that you see some big hits and you think he’s this rugged, throwback hard-hitting LB. The reality is he’s not very physical at all. He is horrible at taking on blocks and content with getting washed and sealed. Good LB blow up gaps/blockers to disrupt running lanes; he gets moved at-will.

Secondly, HE IS ATROCIOUS in space.

On two separate (just as a recent example) he completely whiffed on a ball carrier coming directly at him. He has this propensity for leaving his feet, arms straight-out and grabbing for jersey. That is absolutely embarrassing for a LB, especially one that’s supposedly a good one.

He was doing similar things last year but it was in the context of him coming back from injury with the notion he’d only continue to improve, but he simply hasn’t.

Today was one of his worst games I can remember.

:hammer:

That is the problem that we are trying to cover up....by playing him in the middle to limit his exposure to coverage. The problem w/ that though....your taking LVE out of his game as well. LVE is best as a down hill thumper. Richard has completely taken him out of his element. And people wonder what is wrong? When is the last time LVE had a tackle for loss? I'd put money on it ...Marinelli was calling the defense.

Zordon

Reaction score
I think he likes the glamorous, “pretty” plays like getting sacks but he shies away from the uglier (necessary) duties of being a LB. It’s sad. He plays with no power at all, which is surprising because he is capable of laying some massive hits. But he’s like a little fairy and gets plowed off his line and provides zero resistance.
A guy like Zimmer is going to see that and go exploit that weakness. He did that over and over and over again.

lonestar2288

Reaction score
To be honest I had concerns with Jaylon and the injury and if he'd every be what he was coming out of college. Thought he rounded that corner last season. Time will tell. Couldn't hurt flipping him and LVE for a game or two to see if that helps. With time and money invested, I'm willing to wait and see AND pray a more imaginative DC could change their slide. Unfortunately, there appears to be no immediate respite

Shinaoi

Reaction score
They look bad. When I grew up watching linebackers play, even the mediocre ones ran to the ball and made sure tackles. Wrapping up and balancing your body, like you’re taught to do. These linebackers are often running around chasing people, arm tackling, standing straight up and down with no leverage to stop a runner. They look like they are playing a game of red rover red come over with the running backs and losing every time. I’m not exaggerating when I say there seemed to be a miss tackle by the linebackers on every play tonight. No energy, no plan, no aggression. It just looks baby soft and weak. I would take two jags right now who are willing to tackle over jaylon and lve, they are worse than regressed they are terrible. Now how this happened I have no idea. They arent being coached right, I guess, but how does a professional football player lose the ability to do basic stuff they did in college? The defensive line getting whipped all game maybe is part of it, but last week Bennett and lee looks pretty good against Barkley, but all three linebackers were worse than bad tonight.

/endrant

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Willing to bet it's health for both of them. Jaylon had no problems with taking on blockers and fighting through trash last year, and LVE has gone from magic in space to liability in space. That's not scheme or DTs, something is robbing these guys physically.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
Willing to bet it's health for both of them. Jaylon had no problems with taking on blockers and fighting through trash last year, and LVE has gone from magic in space to liability in space. That's not scheme or DTs, something is robbing these guys physically.

I really really hope so. Because if they are both hurt then there is hope they can heal and play better.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
To be honest I had concerns with Jaylon and the injury and if he'd every be what he was coming out of college. Thought he rounded that corner last season. Time will tell. Couldn't hurt flipping him and LVE for a game or two to see if that helps. With time and money invested, I'm willing to wait and see AND pray a more imaginative DC could change their slide. Unfortunately, there appears to be no immediate respite

I'll disagree....I think if we were willing to get our LBers in place like they should be....it would be a huge difference.

WLB-Lee
MLB- LVE
SLB- Smith

and let LVE call the defense. I think he's regressed as a leader as well because he hasn't been allowed to do what he was drafted for. That's on the coaching staff. This staff has a bad history of taking top picks and ruining them. It's getting old.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
They look bad. When I grew up watching linebackers play, even the mediocre ones ran to the ball and made sure tackles. Wrapping up and balancing your body, like you’re taught to do. These linebackers are often running around chasing people, arm tackling, standing straight up and down with no leverage to stop a runner. They look like they are playing a game of red rover red come over with the running backs and losing every time. I’m not exaggerating when I say there seemed to be a miss tackle by the linebackers on every play tonight. No energy, no plan, no aggression. It just looks baby soft and weak. I would take two jags right now who are willing to tackle over jaylon and lve, they are worse than regressed they are terrible. Now how this happened I have no idea. They arent being coached right, I guess, but how does a professional football player lose the ability to do basic stuff they did in college? The defensive line getting whipped all game maybe is part of it, but last week Bennett and lee looks pretty good against Barkley, but all three linebackers were worse than bad tonight.

/endrant

Not only do I think each player is playing the wrong spot....I think they are being coached up to play gap responsibility...rather than seeing the play and go make the tackle. It's Richards crap passive coaching. Bend but don't break.

Zordon

Reaction score
@jwooten15 isn't this a little weird to be posting immediately following the game? He's getting roasted in the comments. I'm telling you guys LVE and Jaylon both got big heads in the offseason.

John813

Reaction score
Almost every player in every league does it now @Zordon .

It's not the old nfl where teams legit hated one another.

Couple things I've noticed is that certain teams take advantage of how aggressive our DLine plays. The line will let the edge or dt in cause that side isn't the run lane but now that Olineman is getting a good headstart at a linebacker. Cowboys don't really have that physical, can blow up blocks lb.
More finesse type of guys that have athletics to make a play.

That being said all 3 missed tackles. Lee whiffed early on vs cook in open space. But he shutdown Barkley last week. Very Jekyll and hyde performance this yea .

NickZepp

Reaction score
The interior of our line play just isn't good and it's leaving everyone else out to dry. And other teams have seen those guys on film for a year and are using their speed against them. Also I'm not sure it's good to have a first year playcaller this year on defense and that's hurt a lot.